The 2G loophole...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wingsabr, Jan 14, 2011.

1. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

Can anyone confirm if this still works?

I'm currently not an AT&T customer so I would be setting up a family plan with 2 lines. My plan is to buy 2 iPhone 2G's off eBay and activate them in the store. Come back later and "upgrade" to two iPhone 4's and keep the unlimited data @ $30.00.

Thoughts on my plan?

2. yearofthe macrumors regular

yearofthe

There's no such thing as unlimited data on any iPhone now.

3. wingsabr thread starter macrumors 6502

wingsabr

So you're saying that the iPhone 2G plan is no longer available. Can anyone else confirm this.

4. Orlandu macrumors 6502

Orlandu

Not true, I am still on an unlimited data plan. I didn't use the 2G method, I used a dummy phone but it's a similar technique. I at the end of October 2010 and it still worked then, I can't confirm if it still does but it won't hurt to try it. You'll just have a confusing bill.

5. Apple 26.2, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

That is not correct. I'm an iPhone 2G user (have been since 2007... yikes!) and have unlimited data... granted, it's on Edge, but it's still unlimited.

6. preppy macrumors member

preppy

...thing is, if you're a new customer, you cannot sign up for an unlimited iphone plan anymore...regardless of what iphone you use....using a 2g iphone when you sign up for a new ATT contract doesn't matter...

now if you are already on the iphone unlimited plan...before they got rid of it, you are grandfathered in and can keep the unlimited plan.

7. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

Im pretty sure the only data plan available at all for the 2G is the unlimited. I believe it may work for u. If not you could then try the dummy phone loophole. I did that and it worked for me.

8. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Isn't it a $20 plan for 2G unlimited? Then you upgrade to $30 for the 3G and you get grandfathered into the unlimited.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, that's the way many did it to get the unlimited data option.
    Not sure if it still works or AT&T has caught on to it.

10. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

Here is the trick to getting unlimited data. get the 2gb plan for a month, use about 1900 mb(i used 2022) and call AT&T. Ask them if you could please have unlimited data because you are so close to the limit. If they say no ask them to forward the issue to a supervisor. The supervisor should help you out. Thats how I got unlimited data. It make take a few tries and YMMV so im not guaranteeing anything, but it's worth a shot.

11. aneftp macrumors 68040

Att closed the iPhone 2007first gen loopholes a couple months ago.

If u put sim than into any other smartphone u will a text from Att saying they put u on the $15/200mb data plan automatically.

Of course u could try to go to Att Corp store and plead ur case to get the unlimited upgrade but thats becoming increasingly more difficult.

12. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

You may not need a loophole if verizon really does unlimited it may force AT&T to rethink not offering it.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

AT&T caught on to it. It won't work anymore and you will most likely get switched to the $15 plan right away unless you specify the larger one.

However, if you show the whole "I've been using this iPhone for more than 1 year" I think you can pretty much be grandfathered into the $30 unlimited plan. All people need to do is ask nicely.

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It still works to this very day. I used it just today.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Doesn't work 100%, please read the like 10 threads floating in this same forum. People have tried and failed, others succeeded. It is not a sure thing anymore and as such is considered a blocked venue.

16. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I don't see any harm in people still trying this. If it worked for me today then of course there is still a good chance that it will work for others. Also, it can't hurt one bit for someone to try because what can they lose if they are currently on the 2GB plan. The worst that could happen is that they end up right back on that same plan when inserting the sim into a 3G phone.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

There is no harm in trying, but it is always prudent to mention that it no longer works 100%.

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

A friend of mine was successful at doing this a week ago. She did say it took a day for her to see it on her account online and on the ATT app.

So I would give it a try. Good Luck. :)

19. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

worked for me a few months ago. Bought an original iPhone off ebay, activated using my micro sim taped in the sim tray, signed up for unlimited plan online. waited about an hour, popped the sim back into my iPhone 4. Have had unlimited data ever since. $30 a month.

20. solius macrumors regular

Ill let you know. I just ordered a 2g from ebay i should get it by friday and i will try it the same day. Im going to go straight to the AT&T store and get a guy i know to try and do it for me.

21. wingsabr thread starter macrumors 6502

wingsabr

I'm interested in hearing about your experience. Please post your results.

22. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

you can do it all on att.com if you'd like

23. solius macrumors regular

I am on a family plan under my moms plan. Won't that effect my ability to do it over itunes?

24. wingsabr thread starter macrumors 6502

wingsabr

25. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I'm impressed. When do you plan on getting a newer version? (say, iPhone 5?)

P.S. It's a piece of history - don't sell it. ;)