The 30 pin dock cable damaging my iPad2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by maxap, Apr 15, 2011.

1. maxap, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Hey guys,

I just got my new iPad2 and noticed immediately that it is quite difficult to insert the charging cable into the 30 pin dock connector. Well, as it has been stated by other people, the cable leaves some tiny marks on the aluminium body of the iPad2 (on the left and on the right sides inside the dock connector). I had known about it and inserted the cable as carefully as possible.

(!) But now I have also noticed that the black plastic plate with pins inside the dock connector of the iPad2 is slightly dented on one side (maybe the dent was there before). The iPad2 syncs perfectly with my MBP, but I am afraid that the problem will get worse in the future and I will have to replace the dock connector.

Could anyone let me know how your black plastic plate inside the dock connector looks like? Maybe it is just normal... :(

[​IMG]

2. 2 Owls macrumors regular

its not the easiest to connect, looks like the best and least damaging will be using the apple dock, I've noticed the curved edge makes locating the dock connector a real pain, although since I put a cover on my ipad its a bit easier to get it connected.

3. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Should go in without any effort.
    Mine slides right in.

My dock connector has no issues and doesn't prematurely eject either. :D

4. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Yes, but could anyone indicate how their black plastic plate inside the port looks like? Maybe it is normal that it gets a bit dented on the sides...

5. 2 Owls, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

2 Owls macrumors regular

Just had a check on mine, I have some small marks on the inside of the aluminium but nothing on the plastic.
    Heres a quick iphone pic
    [​IMG]

6. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Thank you! Then I guess mine is going back to Apple... :(

7. jordand321 macrumors member

Mine looks exactly like your photo, just a tiny bit of the corner missing. Should be fine as long as it doesn't keep wearing away.

8. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Hmmm, so I am not the only one with this issue.
    That's weird: I am very careful with my iPad2, but the corner is just gone... :(

9. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I guess it`s quite hard to avoid, especially now the connector is tucked away round the back.

You should see the state of my Magsafe connector, and I take good care of my stuff!

10. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

How does your connector look like? Something similar?
    I am a bit disappointed: I have opened up my iPad2 yesterday and already have such an issue. :(

11. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Yeah, premature ejection can be quite embarrassing!

12. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Really? A little nick in the plastic is such an issue?

13. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I`m referring to the magsafe on my Macbook pro but the same thing applies, you are frequently grinding metal against metal, unless you happen to line up the connector perfectly every time and Aluminium is a pretty soft and easily marked material.

So far, my iPad looks fine but it will pick up the scratches and dings around the connector, no doubt.

14. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

It isn't yet. I can image that in a couple of weeks/months it might get dented even more and the iPad will have to be repaired, which I do not want. It is a new device and must be able to function without such (cosmetic) issues for at least some weeks.

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Using an electron microscope I found 6 molecules out of place. This has no effect on function and no one can see this (except me). I plan on taking mine back and getting an exchange.

16. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

The only real scratches I had on my iPad 1 were the scratches around the rim of the charging port. I was completely annoyed them. Now when I charge my iPad 2, I do it very carefully like surgery. Somebody needs to invent some kind of rim protection.

I used to be able to locate the port in the dark, now with the curved edge, It is impossible.

17. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Haha, no but seriously. If it was just a little dent somewhere on the body, it would be okay, but we are talking about a little dent on the 30-pin connector. I don't really want it to stop functioning in a couple of months and pay for the out-of-warranty reparation by Apple because "I didn't handle my iPad with enough care".

18. poloponies macrumors 68030

Sorry, Apple has a strict 7-molecule minimum before it considers it an exchangeable defect.

19. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

You're not charging it right.

This is the iPhone equivalent to not holding it right.

20. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

:p:D

21. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

truly unbelievable. no doubt your car has much bigger nicks and scratches throughout. are you returning that as well? have you even checked it with your magnifying glass? your car cost way more after all, and is far more neccessary.

be prepared to be turned away at apple for such nitpicky nonsense.

22. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I wish these devices came with the old usb cable where you could press the two sides in before plugging into your device.

23. outphase macrumors 65816

Then get it taken care of then. You'll still be under warranty in a couple of weeks/months.

24. 2 Owls macrumors regular

Hopefully it won't make much difference but if you're nice and local to an Apple store its worth seeing if they will replace or at least confirm that they think its ok, then if it does get worse they know you reported it early.

Good luck, hope its a direct switch out :)

25. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

Wow, just wow.

I would love to be in the store when that happens. :rolleyes: