The Aircraft Thread!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by PracticalMac, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Glideslope, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019

Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Graduated from Colorado Springs in 79. Did my ENJJPT+SUPT AT Vance 79-80 with the 25th. Was overseas with the 51st until 84. Was with the 20th OG/55th FS at SW 84-93.

Had an unusual medical mid 92. Detached the retina in my (L) eye. Was able to reattach it, but that was it. No waiver for a one eyed bandit. Had 13 years in. Requested a separation waiver which was granted. Left for a consulting career in Aviation Risk Management with the Silverstone Group. Retired from that full time in 2016. Still consult a bit part time, however this will end mid 2019.

Live in NY these days in the woods upstate with my wife of 40 years. Spend the majority of my time chopping wood, and fishing off my dock.

But, yea, every time an aircraft flys over I look up, try to ID it, and estimate it’s altitude and ground speed.;)

2. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Above. ;)

3. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Graduated from Syracuse Class of 75. Loved Up State New York. :)

4. Glideslope, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019

Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

I'm about 2.5 hrs NE of Syracuse. My father did his EDD Graduate work at SU. Had a crazy career. Undergraduate at the University of Buffalo. Decided he wanted to be a Civil Engineer and joined the Army Corps of Engineers with the Savannah District at Ft. Bragg NC ( I was born there.) Out after four years. Decided he wanted to go into Special Education and we moved to Syracuse.

However, we are closer to Saratoga Springs now, and our children have settled in Boston so we rarely head west any longer other than flying out to Long Beach, CA every summer to see my brother.

I share your love of Upstate, NY though. Was always going to be our retirement home. ;)

5. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I grew up in DC/Maryland. After 5 semesters at University of Miami said enough of that, and switched to Syracuse. The Fall Senester would start and we could hardly wait for the snow and skiing. There was Greek Peak, and Song Mountain, where they had speakers along the slopes that played pop and rock, good times! We’d usually go for night skiing. :)

6. a2jack macrumors regular

a2jack

1944 DC-3 that went down in Ohio was highly modified with Turbine engines and huge props. Looks like auto feather fail. a2

7. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

The more I hear, the it seems to be the case with missing info and limited training.

Having trash in a finished aircraft is also a critical no-no.

WTF is happening, Boeing???
    --- Post Merged, Mar 18, 2019 ---
    This one?

Engine / prop fail on TO, but pilots did not reach Vmc, or lost too much speed with dead engine?
    Shouldn't speculate.

RIP.

8. cube macrumors P6

MCAS is also using only one AoA sensor normally when it should be at least 3.

9. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

W-----T-----F?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

That is like having a 1 eyed, 1 armed pilot and no co-pilot.

10. cube macrumors P6

Boeing sells an option to warn when the 2 AoA sensors disagree. Lion did not have it.

You can't even pay to get redundant MCAS.

11. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Boeing sent out an email blast:

I am disappointed in this propaganda letter.
    Given recent events, Dennis should resign.

12. cube macrumors P6

EASA said the new software will include the AoA disagree display as standard.

They will fully analyze it and the failure modes.

13. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

A single AOA sensor for such a vital system? This is unbelievable for modern aircraft design, which have historically been standards based on redundancy to avoid failures that result in fatalities.

14. cube macrumors P6

Boeing did not consider that a failure could be catastrophic.

15. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Hmm, I need to read about their philosophy on this particular system. I assume with a failure, they thought another sensor would pick up the load?

16. cube macrumors P6

17. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

18. cube macrumors P6

Also this caption:

"Normal electric trim control on the yoke can stop the MCAS-driven stabilizer movement, however MCAS will activate again within five seconds after the switches are released if the angle of attack is still sensed too high."

So it ran away.

From the first one:

"
    After the Lion Air Flight 610 crash, Boeing for the first time provided to airlines details about MCAS. Boeing’s bulletin to the airlines stated that the limit of MCAS’s command was 2.5 degrees.

That number was new to FAA engineers who had seen 0.6 degrees in the safety assessment.

“The FAA believed the airplane was designed to the 0.6 limit, and that’s what the foreign regulatory authorities thought, too,” said an FAA engineer. “It makes a difference in your assessment of the hazard involved.”

The higher limit meant that each time MCAS was triggered, it caused a much greater movement of the tail than was specified in that original safety analysis document.
    "

19. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

This strikes me as negligence and incompetence, to keep this secret from the companies using these aircraft, because it is not a straight forward runaway trim, which has been trained by pilots for a long time.

20. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

It was not that many years ago Boeing was found to be manipulating the new KC tanker contract.
    So it was redone
    And the won
    And then it was discovered it was a lease program, and the DoD/USAF would foot bill to convert to passenger.
    and that stupidity was stopped.
    And then another run off in KC program with Airbus version.

Then failures in catastrophic testing of first ever Li-ON batteries in a commercial jet.

I worked in McDD, and I saw this crap happening there. Getting worse.

21. cube macrumors P6

The DOT is launching an audit of the MAX certification.

22. cube macrumors P6

And now the Pentagon is investigating the acting defense secretary.

23. cube macrumors P6

The FBI joined the MAX certification criminal investigation.

24. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

SMH here, too bad there isn't another real alternative to Boeing and Airbus in the commercial aviation market - well this sector anyway.

25. cube macrumors P6

C919 and MC-21 EIS are planned for 2021.