The AL vs NL

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Apr 26, 2009.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

The AL is fake baseball

DH? yea thats cheating. The pitcher has to hit as hes on the field

The NL is real baseball

Man do I hate the AL

Just thought I'd get that off my chest:p

2. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

This will be an interesting thread. And I agree the pitcher needs to hit. I wonder what other differences between the AL and NL will come out in this discussion.

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I'm an A's fan, so I follow the AL, so I am more familiar with the players and the strategy, so I gotta go with the AL. As much as I can appreciate the extra strategy having the pitcher hit brings to the game, I like that there are differences between the two leagues. Why should they be exactly the same. If they were, we couldn't have arguments about the DH :p

4. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

i really believe that with AL teams having a DH gives them a slight advantage in the world series as they have someone they went out and signed for the DH specifically. The NL teams don't do that as they cant justify it. Instead they just use a backup player to fill the role of DH in interleague or world series play.

The batting time that the NL pitchers get over the AL pitchers doesnt offset the difference in talent at the DH level when playing with AL rules in effect imo

how you like Holliday? wont lie, im mad you guys stole him from us lol

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Quit your complaining. You're just sore we have beat you in the All Star game 11 games straight. And we also crush you when we do inter-league play.

6. TSE macrumors 68030

I like the DH rule as it gives players opportunities to play that aren't very good at fielding or injury prone aka Frank Thomas, Ken Griffey, Jim Thome, Jack Cust, Hideki Matsui, etc. Imagine if each one of those guys played on the field everyday, they would either be put in a part-time role where their hitting talent would be wasted or their career would be probably over because they are injury prone.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

As shown with Wang this season and not being over the injury, the DH protects the pitcher who for the most part is just an instant out at the plate. As for advantage in the World Series, the NL team has the advantage because they are better equipped to play at home with a pitcher batting. The AL team loses a bat where the DH would play. I like the DH I think it adds more depth to the game.

As for fake baseball, unless the same pitcher is out there for 9 innings he is not there the whole game. The idea is to get the best team on the field, pitchers are not built to hit. They only play every 5 days.

Also remember that the NL would be the only league anywhere in baseball that plays "real ball" as every other league in the world has a DH.

8. shneady macrumors member

Great topic, first of all. My dad and I argue about this, and this whole "real ball" thing. So that statement is basically saying, little league, high school and college ball isn't "real ball". None of that really matters, I guess. All those years playing ball to make it to the bigs was just "fake ball"? It's not a real game until the DH is involved. Bologna!

How many times do you see a pinch hitter, pinch runner, the double switch or moving a position player (pitcher) spot from #9 to different spots all over the line up? Yes that goes along with the double switch most of the times, but not all the times. NL managers should make more money as there is a lot more baseball theory and brain work that's being involved. Being an AL manager is much easier than being an NL manager. Don't ever change your line up and just switch pitchers, it's that EASY :cool: Oh yeah, go Dodgers!!!!

9. Surely Guest

Surely

They really should just rotate the AL and NL rules year to year for the World Series instead of just playing according to the home team's rules.

10. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

I grew up in Philly and only watched NL games. I can still recite line-ups of the NL teams (there were quite a bit fewer back then) from the early 60s. It's funny, I moved away, my new city has both NL and AL but I'ms still a NL person. You just can't teach an old dog how to DH.

11. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

Here's the thing: the last few NL winners of the World Series played like an AL team. The Phillies last year won because not only of good pitching, but all their everyday players really hitting well.

12. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

I think the team you grew up with and their league makes you a lifelong fan

Since moving to NY, I can not stand all the yankees/redsox fans

I hate the only NL team, the mets as I am a huge braves and rockies fans. I grew up watching the braves when i lived in ga and then have been to soooo many rockies games the last 9 years

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Have to ask Brewers fans what they prefer, they have been in both leagues.

14. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Agreed. I've lived in St. Louis all my life and have always been a Cardinals fan. If I moved to a different city, with the exception of Boston and New York (sorry, never will like the Red Sux, Roidkees or the Mutts :D) I would want my new hometown team to win, provided they weren't playing the Cardinals, but I would always remain a Cardinals and NL fan.

16. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Can I get an "Amen, brother!"? :D

17. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i dont know about it being an advantage. since '73 when the AL instituted the DH there have been 35 world series. 20 won by the AL and of course 15 won by the NL. thats 57% for the AL. wouldnt call that a real advantage. it's actually interesting that you say that it is an advantage to the AL. most ppl consider it an advantage to the NL. reason being is that they are used to having to let the pitcher hit where the AL is not. its easy to add a DH to your line up. not so easy to make a pitcher that doesnt hit all season except for inter league to all of a sudden have to hit. Also its a nice contrast between the two leagues. it gives something to differentiate them.

18. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

19. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

why would you not ever want to be a Red Sox or yankees fan?

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

He must not like "real baseball".:D

21. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

agreed!

i see that you are a yankees fan. im a red sox fan. im glad that we can agree on something hahaha.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I hate the Red Sox with a passion, but when those 2 teams plays they ratchet up the excitement.

23. shneady macrumors member

Yankees and Red Sox are so played out all ready. ESPN has yet to figure this one out too. They still don't realize that there are 28 other teams that also play ball. This goes for other sport media hubs too. When ever I open up an one of my "sport" apps on my iphone, the top headlines are always "NYY:" or "BOS:" They're so played, lets move on all ready. And lets talk about the real Yankee killers, the Los Angeles Angels. They've won more games against the Yanks in the last 12 years than any other team has... Oh yeah, Go Dodgers (even though Belisario blew it last night)!!!! Anyway, back on topic, NL is still better. Lets ask Joe Torre which league he like better:D

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Joe Torre the player would say NL, the manager would say AL since that is where he won all his rings.:p

25. shneady macrumors member

Nice, I like that ^^^. Let's just wait till he wins another this year with my Boys in Blue ;)