the anti-glare screen looks AWESOME.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimmyhii, Feb 11, 2011.

1. jimmyhii macrumors member

I'm in the market for a macbook pro, will be getting the 15" with anti-glare screen when it comes out :D but thats not the point of this thread - today i finally (the stores here don't carry them) managed to get my hands on a macbook pro with said anti-glare screen and i must say it looks totally AWESOME. the silver bezel just goes so well with the aluminium body. The photos online (including those on the apple site) just don't do it justice!

when looking for a new laptop to replace my old one, my initial impression of the silver bezel on the macbook pro was that it made the laptop dull. nothing could be further from the truth. for all the people who were like me, wanting an anti-glare screen but didnt think it looked nice on the mbp, i'm telling you - it's a beauty. it is just as nice, if not better looking than the glossy, black bezel!

well that's it, i just wanted to share my opinion that the anti-glare screen looked totally stunning on the mbp. please don't let the silver bezel deter you from getting it. If you don't believe me go find a mbp with the matte option for yourself! i think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

2. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

3. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

A lot of people say the AG colors don't pop as well as the glossy - but I am always amazed at the colors that the AG produces. My HR AG screen is the best screen in my house, and I have 3 macbook pros, an HP 2159m, and an Asus H24.

4. jimmyhii thread starter macrumors member

hmm. i can't comment on that cause i didnt have any side-by-side comparisons. but hey, apple can't possibly give you a screen that's worse if you're paying more. so the only difference would be the glass, which shouldn't be that huge a difference i guess. and the outward appearance of the screen and silver bezel is gorgeous. :D:D:D

5. profoshow macrumors member

i like the black bezel, but i want anti-glare... maybe the refresh will take care of this for me :rolleyes:

6. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

This is what you need
    Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

Absolutely true, the High-Res AG screen is awesome! I have an Apple LED Cinema Display 27", a Dell 2407WFP-HC and the MacBook Pro with the AG screen next to each other and as far as colors are concerned the MacBook tops them all. Had second thoughts about the silver bezel as well but it's really not an issue.

8. profoshow macrumors member

where did you find that and what is is called?

9. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

10. cmdslick macrumors newbie

Would you mind posting a template, or your PS file? It's a great idea, but would help save the rest of us some time!

11. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

It is a vinyl decal that I developed along with a designer. We are working out the kinks so it should be for sale soon.

12. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I too just picked one up a week ago because my trusty old 2006 17" MBP died (video gpu went out). I got the i7 15" Highres Antiglare and love it. The screen is really sharp and very easy on the eyes compared to the glossy I had. I think the colors even look better.

13. Politis macrumors regular

Yep, I wanted black bezel same colour as the keys :cool:. I might just make one myself because black concentrates the eye on the screen.
    But, yowza-yowza, we are being ripped-off by Mac when buying a matte screen. :mad:

14. Politis macrumors regular

Nice one. Hope you send it across the pond to the UK when you do.

15. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Put me on the list, ill pm you my email if that will help :p

16. mark28 macrumors 68000

You may think the black bezel is nicer. I had the same problem too. But that opinion will change over time.

I was in the same boat, I liked the black bezel more at first. But now I actually like the silver bezel more. It just fits the silver case of the MBP.

And it makes your Mac more unique, since everybody has a black bezel. :cool:

17. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

This is a great idea. I went with Glossy HR partly because of the bezel.

The only thing I would like to see changed is instead of having a window for the "MacBook Pro" lettering on the bottom center I would just like to see silver lettering on the black decal. If you are covering the silver bezel why have "MacBook Pro" written in black with a silver background?

I guess if you are going to sell it, there could be a trademark issue (same reason some iPhone cases have the round whole in the back for the Apple logo) but I think it would look better.

18. larmonkm macrumors member

i wasn't sure how i felt about the silver bezel, but after having my 17" ag screen for a couple of months, i absolutely love the look. it's beautiful.

19. serenesam macrumors member

serenesam

I love the antiglare. It's all about adjusting your eyes and getting accustomed to it. It seems that if you use glossy a lot, you might be "blinded" to see the blacks. My eyes have always been used to "dark colors" and I can see black very nice, believe it or not.

To me, the glossy one just looks fake as vibrant as the colors may appear to be.

20. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I have the 17" hi res anti glare as well. Looks nice, no doubt, but I do stare in awe when looking at 13" machines (w/o antiglare), since the colors look vivid.

21. KyleKlink macrumors regular

KyleKlink

I've been going back and forth concerning the AG vs glossy screen. I will be buying a MBP likely later this week (I see no need to wait for the refresh). I've looked at both in the Apple store and have read many threads on this site concerning the two.

I like the higher resolution, but I would have to agree that the colors just don't look as crisp on the AG screen. This does not concern me, but what does is the threads I've read about having to baby the screen to keep it from damage. Some questions for the AG owners:

1. Does the keyboard leave marks on the screen? Does it even touch the screen?
    2. Is the lid less sturdy do to the lack of the glass? Does it flex at all?
    3. In the event of finger prints, what's the best method for cleaning the screen?

The AG is likely the path I'll take due to an enormous window directly behind my desk at work. My Dell laptop had to be set at quite an angle in order for me to avoid the glare. I can only imagine the MBP glossy would be just as bad, if not worse.

Thanks for the feedback.

22. tjb1 macrumors 68000

1. No and anyone telling you otherwise is wrong.

2. Maybe a little but its unoticeable.

3. The microfiber cloth and some water, the cloth will get most of it but you may need water for the tougher stuff.

23. Hitrate macrumors regular

Hitrate

Sure the glass screen pop's the colors and contrast more, but I could never live with glare like that, ugh! Hi-res anti glare screen all the way baby ! ;)

24. mark28 macrumors 68000

1. They are nothing but a bunch of myths. Just think about it. The MBP with glossy screen + glass doesn't touch the keyboard. Now why would the Anti glare screen without glass touch the keyboard? I have never seen keyboard marks on my screen, so no idea where these myths come from.

2. yes ofcourse it's sturdy. If Apple needed Glass to make the lid more sturdy than something would be really wrong with Apple.

3. Just use the cloth that comes with the Mac :)

I took my Anti Glare MBP to the Apple store for repair and every Apple employee was shocked how much better my screen looked than all the glossy MBP. I saw a big difference too.

And you don't need to baby the Anti Glare screen. Now you shouldn't take a knife and try to make scratches in it ofcourse. But no sane person would ever do such a thing.

25. jimmyhii thread starter macrumors member

+1!

even viewing the glossy screen at the apple store is a terrible experience because of all the lights around! ):