The Apple Watch SS scratch thread [MERGED]

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Itsedstech, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

Will the :apple: watch stainless steel versions scratch super easy like the original iPod touch, and iPod classic/nano backs did? I sure hope not! :(

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'd think they know better not to use that material on the watch.

3. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

4. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

It depends on the type and quality used, lots of watches are made from solid stainless steel, like my Tissot, and they don't scratch and are very hard wearing. In fact if I catch my watch on a door frame it tends to dent the door frame as opposed to the watch!

5. Itsedstech thread starter macrumors 6502a

awesome! i was just kinda worried!

6. Devie macrumors 6502a

I dont think the iPod Touch had stainless steel...

7. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

4 out of the 5 generations had stainless steel backs. Only the current model doesn't.

8. fousfous macrumors regular

I have a iPod Touch 3 with SS back, and personally I prefer the aluminum back of my iPhone 5S.
    Aluminum is a better material than stainless steel, so I don't understand why you prefer SS.

9. illcoolz macrumors member

illcoolz

Apple Watch SS will use 316L stainless steel, which is the steel used in high end watches (except in Rolex models, they developed an even stronger steel). So don't worry about it.

10. fousfous macrumors regular

That's always SS... That's because it's use in watch that's become a magical material...

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

No, it's because there are many different grades of Stainless Steel available.

12. fousfous macrumors regular

Yeah I know but that's still SS.

13. arubinst macrumors 6502

Could they be using this patent for a scratch proof coating for stainless steel devices?

14. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I have a 1st gen iPod touch. Was looking at it just yesterday. The back is very scratched and worn.

I don't think the watch will suffer in quite the same way because it's worn on the body. Unless the wearer is very clumsy and continually bumping their arms into things like walls, etc., then the watch shouldn't be coming into contact with much that can damage it.

An iPod, OTOH, is continually picked up, put down, slid across microscopically gritty surfaces, left in pockets with keys, coins, sand, etc.

15. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

From the Apple page regarding the SS model.

"That’s why we took a refined 316L stainless steel — an alloy that is remarkably corrosion resistant — and cold forged it to make it 40 percent harder and less susceptible to nicks and scratches".

16. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

We use 316L every single day :)

In fact I'm sitting, right now, about 20 feet from racks of the stuff in our metal stores.

Perhaps I should get one of our guys, or myself, to polish it up on the buffing wheels, so it's exactly the same in look, and the same material as the watch, and see how it scratches.

I can assure you, though, it will take VERY little to put some marks in it.

17. illcoolz macrumors member

illcoolz

Yup, just as stated in the above quote. Getting scratches will be quite hard, even dents. You'd have to really bang it hard to get any thing noticeable. I wouldn't worry about it at all. It will be years until the watch will start to look just a bit worn out. And I mean really just a bit.

If you own a steel watch, go look at it and see how it looks. If it looks fine, the Apple Watch will look exactly the same if you treat it the same way.

18. czecho7 macrumors member

czecho7

Was wondering the same thing! I think it's pretty likely, and maybe they've even improved upon the process in the time since this patent was filed.

19. Itsedstech thread starter macrumors 6502a

The only reason i prefer it over the aluminum one is because of the ceramic bottom and sapphire glass, and the way it goes with the link bracelet, otherwise id get the sport edition.

20. TS19 macrumors member

So you're saying that it will scratch easily....? Unless I have interpreted your post wrong...

21. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Well, if it's highly polished 316L, then yes.

You will get a great shine, but it's not very hard, and anything abrasive will very easily put surface scratches into the surface.

It's STRONG, not Hard.

We use it for Medical Implants and have to give it a flawless shine so no dirt! can be in a scratch when it's placed inside your body.

Obviously in your body you want it to be super strong, not hard and brittle

22. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I have a stainless steel watch with a sapphire crystal. I have scratches on both the steel and the sapphire. Don't expect miracles just because its Apple.

23. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

The sport edition has a ceramic back too according to Apples website, and it uses a specially toughened glass front as its lighter then sapphire.

24. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I'm sure it will last a year, which will be enough till the next model comes out you will want to change to ;)

25. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Actually it is ambiguous and the :apple:Watch site clearly stated that the Sport does't have a ceramic coating before it was updated. Also you can read this on the :apple:Watch backs. The Sport says "Composite" which means no coating.

Also the reason the Sport is lighter is because the case is made of aluminum. Any difference in weight between the sapphire and glass crystal is negligible and would likely be a fraction of a gram.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]