The AT&T plans are an absolute rip-off, no matter how look at them.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WilliamG, Jul 3, 2008.

1. WilliamG macrumors 604

It really frustrates the crap out of me that it's impossible to get an iPhone without being an inordinate amount of money. It's crazy!

Let's compare to what my wife and I are using right now.

iPhone unlocked with T-Mobile, $39.99 a month with 1000 minutes anytime, free nights and weekends x2.

For $90, yes NINETY, I get 900 minutes (100 less), and 3G data. OK. Is anyone going to argue that it's worth $50 a month for 3G?

And my wife and I both want one, so the $170 plan for just 2100 is already expensive. But then if we want to have a text package, the ONLY option is unlimited for $30, which is insane. Why can't we have 200 shared texts for $5, like the single-user plans? So, at that point, we're at $200 for the family plan 2100 minutes and unlimited texts. MAD. Simply mad.

And of course, the total BS that is paying for INCOMING texts (which isn't just AT&T of course...).

And I REALLY feel bad for all the early adopters who paid $600 for their iPhones when they came out, and now have to fork out another $400 or $500 to upgrade to the new ones. I shed a tear for you.

I sort-of hope that this time around the iPhone flops in the US. Bring the prices down, AT&T. Your 3G speeds aren't even THAT FAST, at 1.4Mbit max (so expect to see much less).

2. mcnieman macrumors member

you can add $5 for for 200 texts on each line - so $10 total

3. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

Your more than likely on a grandfathered plan with T Mobile so you really cant compare prices. I do agree that AT&T prices are higher than the current T-Mobile plans but that's the price.

The early adopters of iPhone are eligible for the $199/$299 price so your argument doesnt work there.

Anyway you can either wait til you find a unlocked version after the 11th on eBay for $800 or switch.

Either way, good luck and I understand your frustration.

4. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Just not having T-Mobile alone is worth $50 a month.

I paid $600 for the original iPhone and I don't care about the new prices.

5. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

Have you seen the Canadian rates through Rogers? Those are a rip-off. The ATT rates are in line with other US carriers.

6. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

Where does it say early adopters are eligible for a $199/$299 plan?

From AT&T's page:

"What will I pay for iPhone 3G?
    If you are upgrade eligible and your account is in good standing, you will pay $199 for 8GB (black) and $299 for 16GB (black or white). Two-year contract required.

You have the option to purchase an early upgrade priced at $399 for 8GB (black) or $499 for 16GB (black or white). Two-year contract required. Coming soon, AT&T will offer a no-commitment option of $599 for 8GB and $699 for 16GB."

And my plan is old, but they cycle it sometimes and I saw it a couple of months ago as a special. The next best thing is currently Individual Plus 1000 anytime minutes, with unlimited nights and weekends $49.99.

7. TemeculaMac macrumors regular

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm paying $49/month for 1500 anytime minutes, and unlimited data (blackberry on T-mobile).

It makes me think twice about getting a iPhone. I still plan to get the iPhone, but it irks me to think that I'll be paying a heck of a lot more money each month...for less.

People in this forum will argue that you get the "amazing, new, fantastic, magical" 3G...but IMO, it's not worth that much of a price difference. AT&T is ripping us off...that's for sure.

8. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

It's really a joke. I even tried calling the AT&T business line to see if my IBM discount will apply, and they kept telling me the data plan is $20 for the new iPhone. I called back and got told the same thing by a different employee. They don't even know what they're talking about, and when I explained that the data is now built into each plan, they just repeated the $20 line. I gave up, said thank you, hung up, and just sighed to myself. I hate AT&T already and haven't even signed up!

9. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

my understanding is that a lot of the current iPhone user's eligibility has been changed to upgrade eligible. There are several threads in regards to this.

Perhaps we shall see but if not, my apology.

10. iLeoMarc macrumors regular

T-Mobile Plan Individual Plus: 1,000 minutes; Free Nights & Weekend = 49.99
    T-Mobile Total Internet: = 19.99
    Total T-Mobile = 69.98

Remember ATT has Roll-over minutes. T-Mobile has their own differentiation strategy, MyFavs. MyFavs increases your plan to 59.99. Making the total on T-Mobile at 79.98. So ATT is expensive, but nothing to cry about and plus....

iPhone UI = Priceless. :D

Oh forgot that T-Mobile doesn't currently have 3g.

11. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

T-Mobile sucks ass and cant be compared to AT&T or Verizon... stop bitching man.

12. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Alltel, Sprint, and even Verizon are better than AT&T, but guess what. They dont have iphone, so ya know what, call me retarded but I am getting an iphone, with crappy service.

13. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

I pay $75.34 for 1000 minutes w/nights & weekends w/1000 SMS messages for my unlocked T-mobile iPhone. At&t can go to hell.

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

How many more whine and cheese threads do we need. Either it is right for you or it's not. It is what it is and if it's not right for you then move on.

It's simple and just like about everything else in life. If you want to play top of the line you must pay.

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

16. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

1.4mibt is true numbers. All the other cell phone carriers are at or slower speeds,they tell you their at 3.6mibt (US), 7.2mibt (Europe) not true at least in the US they only run half of what they tell you.

Also HSDPA is faster than EVDO and ATT will be going to HSPA 3.5G

17. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I'm so mad at Toyota because when I bought my Toyota Corolla back in 1985, I only paid $7000 for it but now they want to charge $15000. Thats a rip off and I dont know what I'm going to do.

I will just go buy a Kia now.

18. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Germany.

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

20. backfromtejas macrumors newbie

Seriously though, all of this moaning and groaning about the AT&T plans is SO annoying.

And all of the news articles about how the 3G iPhone really isn't cheaper because of the increased price for the data plan.

DUH! It's because you're using 3G, which is 2-3 times faster, which means you are probably going to more sites and using more data.

The iPhone is still $200 cheaper!

and about the plans,

Why do you think AT&T is so crazy? They're charging a $40 for the most basic voice plan, which is really normal. And then they're just adding $30 for data.

Verizon Wireless's data plan is $45/month.

STOP WHINING PLEASE!

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Sorry, we know the Kia used to come with seats, but they are no longer included with the price.

You can get 1 seat for $5 a month or 2 seats for $10 a month. A family-car can get unlimited seats for $30 a month.

22. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Love the record. I am so sick of the cost complaints. The iPhone will now be the same price of all other data phones. The big difference is that WE WILL ACTUALLY USE THE DATA FEATURES on the iPhone.

I would bet that iPhone users spend far more time surfing the internet than Blackberry or other smartphone users. We are lucky they do not charge us MORE. My Blackberry friends were very jealous that our pdf files view totally sharp and readable. Theirs opened the file but it was pretty fuzzy and you could barely read the same file I was sent. I do not know if all BB's have that problem but the ones I saw did.

Addition: I do understand the pain. I had a Windows Mobile phone before the iPhone and turned off the expensive data plan because it was not good enough to bother with when away from my PC.

23. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

it's cheaper than verizon...granted that's usually a better network. Definitely better evdo coverage than att's 3g coverage.

My monthly bill will be $10 less than verizon and I'll have two data plans on two iphones as opposed to one WM Treo and a regular phone.

Definitely a better deal.

Even as a standalone/non-family plans ATT is cheaper. Verizon is $40 for the data plan and then your phone plan on top. I'll miss unlimited free messaging which was part of the treo's pda plan, but not that much.

24. BobboZR2 macrumors regular

If you can't afford something, then don't get it. As with all purchases, you have to weigh out the pros/cons. Obviously the cons outweigh the pros for you. Decision: don't get it. Bitching about something does nothing about the problem. If you feel strongly about your position, do something about it or move on.