The Big Pro or Little Pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ghsNick, Apr 1, 2016.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Well, obviously I have regrets. I bought the 12.9 IPP last week (128gb) and saved $150 at Staples, so it was definitely a great deal.

I just went to use Office yesterday and I noticed you have to pay $70 to use it. With the smaller Pro, Office is free (since it's under 10 inches).

Basically I got the 12.9 IPP for $799 and I could get the 9.7 IPP for $749. I also have the keyboard so that's another thing I'd save on.

I'm completely torn on which model to get and with the 9.7 having 2gb of RAM it makes my decision even tougher. Does anyone have both sizes and have a preference?

2. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Well I can only buy one - wife rules ;)

3. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

It's really personal preference. I wasn't really a huge fan of the large IPP at first but after using it for a few weeks I ditched my iPad Air 2. I like the large screen for taking notes and consuming content like YouTube and such. You could always go ahead and purchase the smaller iPad Pro and take it for a test run. If you don't like it, return it and just stick with your large IPP.

4. urkel, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016

urkel macrumors 68030

After years of the same small iPad bag then the iPad Pro forced me to buy a laptop bag. For me it felt really awkward because I'm now carrying a laptop bag to carry around a laptop sized device that has the limitations of a tablet. I finally sold it with no regrets and tee pleading went back to an Air2 in a portable bag.

Im still a fan of the 12.9" Tablet idea, but if I'm going to carry a laptop bag for a tablet then I really think it has to offer far more than a "bigger iPad" experience.

5. cg006 macrumors regular

cg006

If its mainly gonna be indooors the pro 12'9 for sure!

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

For me, the bigger screen size is what makes the iPP a laptop replacement. 9.7 screen was okay for doing work in a pinch, but not for regular work. I also happened to have a light leather bag from back when I was in college, that I used to carry my notebooks. It's perfect for carrying the 12.9 iPP without feeling bulky like a laptop. And I use Pages instead of Word. I know that's not an option for everyone, but i just need basic formatting.

7. DNichter macrumors 68020

DNichter

I did the same thing as you and ended up returning the 12.9. It is just too large for comfortable use in my opinion, even around the house. Majority of apps aren't optimized for the resolution and most apps are just wasted space. I see the 12.9 as a really niche market and not something developers are going to pay attention to in the long term. Maybe this changes with iOS 10 if Apple makes more use of the space, but right now it's not worth it. Also, the ram really makes no difference at all. It is mainly used just to store the larger images required on the higher resolution. Performance is the same. The 9.7 size just feels like what a tablet size should be.

8. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

This exactly.

9. harrypham macrumors member

I just received my bì pro yếtrday. I am still trying to get used to its size

10. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

If you want an iPad for content consumption, get the smaller one. It's easier to carry around, hold in hand, use in bed etc.

If you want an iPad for work, the bigger one is much better. Using the split screen feature it's almost like you have two smaller iPads.

11. stulaw11 macrumors 65816

Only thing to worry about is size; other than that they are similar enough not to worry about it.

Carrying a lot 9.7. Just a home/office tool then 12.9 since it wont matter about the size carrying it.

12. pmau macrumors 65816

The only drawback of the bigger iPad is its size and weight.
    If you can live with that, it is hands-down the best iPad for Media Consumption and Handwriting/Sketching.

It has a bigger screen, a larger battery, more RAM for multitasking (think iOS 10) and the bigger keyboard.

If you need a portable device, the iPad Air 2 is still the best product for its money.
    The 12,9" is my first pick for what Apple is regarding to be the future of tablets.

If iOS 10 comes out with a better springboard, drag and drop between more than two Apps and freely arrangeable content,
    the 2GB and smaller screen will obviously bite you.

Today, iOS is really too limited for the 12,9", but if June shows interesting steps in the right direction,
    todays new 9,7" iPad Pro will not be the way to go.

If you don't want the Pencil and don't need the A9X to watch YouTube, Netflix and iTunes Movies,
    the Air 2 is still a good choice.

13. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

14. stulaw11 macrumors 65816

^good response.

And just FYI the 12.9 is really a LOT bigger, it's not oh its only 3" diagonal like it sounds. It's quite beastly in size. Think an 8.5x11 sheet of paper but 1" longer; it's roughly 8.6x12. And almost double the weight of the 9.7

I would go to a local Best Buy or something and hold one before buying it from where ever.

15. digitalcuriosity macrumors regular

I like the size of the standard iPad fits my needs, the smaller ones i have no use for them just to small, the larger iPad Pro is just to large for my needs.
    I want a faster standard iPad with a memory card slot, know it's never going to get a memory slot today so more memory is ok for now.

16. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Both have good options.... however after looking at what I really do and use a tablet for, I went with a rMB and a Mini 4.

17. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

18. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

I thought the benchmarks showed the 9.7" battery life was longer and it charges faster, no? So if that's true, wouldn't that be a positive for the 9.7"?

19. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I agree with the sentiments above. If you want to use it like a laptop replacement, get the bigger one. That might also hold true if the vast majority of your use will be on the couch or in bed reading and watching video. For me, I love the size of the standard iPad, I just wanted the stylus. It's the perfect compact digital notebook. Finally!

20. APPLfanCA macrumors regular

I got both -_- I wouldn't have got both if Apple didn't make the 9.7 in Rose Gold. I cannot stop myself from buying rose gold anything. It's nice to have the smaller screen, considering I went from the 6s Plus to the iPhone SE.

21. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

First off, the free version of MS Office for iPad has some features disabled. Those features might not matter to you but it is important to understand. Neither version of Office for iPad is the FULL MS Office.

Office on 9.7 iPad works, but it is a bit cramped. Obviously, on the 12.9 it fits and works much better.

If MS Office is of such importance to you that it would alter the tablet you purchase, then I recommend returning the iPad Pro and buying a Surface 3. Although you'd have to pay for Office (subscription or permanent license) you'll have the full version of Office.

22. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

office isn't THAT important but it's nice to have if I want to use. My issue is I don't think I use it enough to justify $70 a year but want to have access if needed.

Also, when I'm laying in bed using the big one I'm straining my thumbs to type using he onscreen keyboard...but I love the huge screen. Decisions / Decisions

23. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I have both and I tell you, laying in bed the 9.7" is perfect. Not too heavy. I miss the bigger screen a little bit though, but not enough to overcome the weight issue. I can use the 9.7" one handed very easily.

I am going to keep the big one and use it for work.

24. jlczl macrumors regular

I thought the iPad Pro was too big for maybe the first couple of hours of use. After using it for a couple of months I just can't stand the idea of going back to a 9.7. As a matter of fact I mistook one for a mini a couple of days ago lol.

I love using it in bed or on the couch and take it with me everywhere in a very slim Vaja slim case.