The Big Pro or Little Pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ghsNick, Apr 1, 2016.

1. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

I wonder if that's anything similar to how people with a 9.7" iPad/7.9" iPad/Surface Pro 4/any other device, will "defend" it. Maybe it's something to do with everyone having a personal preference, I'd call it sharing an opinion and an experience as opposed to defending it. The funny thing is, what suits me won't suit everyone else on the planet. Probably why there are thousands of different devices out there, giving people the opportunity to find a suitable device.

Indeed your guilty of that which you deride at the start of your post. By proclaiming the 9.7" to be the better device. A statement which is blatantly untrue. It's the device which suits you best, but having used the 12.9" Pro, I wouldn't own the 9.7" if you offered me it at a tenth of it's price. The screen is just too small to be useful to me.

My iPads (and I've had them all, bar the new 9.7" Pro) have always been consumption devices. I've found the small screens and cramped keyboards too limiting to be anything other than that. Since upgrading, I've never been so productive on an iPad, I get a not insignificant amount of work done on mine now, that's made it even better value for money than they've ever been.

The "so called advantages" as you mockingly seem to state them are things I never used on my Air 2. But since switching to the 12.9", they are all, amongst others, things I now use daily. As for it being too heavy, I've got severe nerve damage, something I have to take so many pills to try and keep under control every day that they could, literally, kill several horses. Yet I manage to hold it, so I'm always surprised when able bodied people complain about the weight.

Actually, that medication is why I'm waffling on just now :D at the end of the day, vive la difference, long may there be choice and individuality, can you imagine the horror of everyone in the world being the same. :eek:

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, it IS heavier than the 9.7. I think if someone likes the 12.9 screen and finds that size makes the iPad more useful / enjoyable to use, then you don't mind holding it. Or you come up with ways of holding it, like getting a stand or proving it on pillows. And if you don't see any benefits in a larger screen, then you declare "too heavy" as one of the reasons why you decided against it.

3. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

Well it was alway going to be heavier with all of that extra glass, there's no arguing with physics. You're dead right though, I hold mine very differently than any of my other iPads.
    Where I always used to just hold them by the edges, now I find myself holding the furthest away edge of the Pro so that my forearm runs diagonally across the back of the iPad and it rests nicely on my forearm. I don't find the weight to be an issue that way.

4. off_piste macrumors 6502a

"You're holding it wrong." just popped in my head.

5. Pspressart macrumors regular

I do not watch videos in bed, so that is not a factor. There are times when I need to get to my computer at the office, and Logemein works well on the larger screen. I like the split view to have two apps visible and usablle at the same time. And last, but not least, it was a Christmas present from my sweetheart. I love my 12.9 Pro.

6. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

Ha, I thought the same thing when I typed it.

7. Fthree macrumors 6502a

I can honestly say that if you have an Air/Air 2 the IPP 9 inch is not worth the upgrade. (MAYBE if you are going to require the use of the pencil) I have the IPP 12 and an air 2. After multitasking on the IPP 12.9 it is nearly impossible to try to do it on my air 2 now.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2016 ---
    This does sound like to perfect combo for those that can afford it. the big IPP is hard to use lying down

8. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I had the 12.9 for a week. Ultimately as much as I loved it... it's really more reasonable to own the 9.7 unless you plan on doing a lot of work on it. For me it's a consumption device that I can doodle on now.

9. urkel macrumors 68030

The big iPad "looks" larger than it "feels".

I remember first seeing it in store and thinking how ridiculous it looked. But once I owned it then the device itself felt fine. The big issue I have (with all iPads) is that the OS feels like it's following the iPhone rather than taking its own path.

We're 6 years in and the iPad still feels like "A big ass iPhone". While that's been semi excusable for the Air and Mini, once you get screens hitting 13" then it just feels like it's supposed to be more than just "A big ass iPad".

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Maybe?

Maybe?

Ok.

11. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I love the speakers... my "upgrade" between all the Best Buy reward points I put into it and selling off my Air 2 for $340 w/smart cover. I only paid roughly $200 after tax but I also doubled my storage from 64gb to 128gb. Worthwhile for me. But for anyone without use for Pencil or speakers and own an Air 2 it should be a pass.

12. MacInMotion macrumors newbie

I was fed up with my iPad 3 (and out of space on it) and decided to buy the next iPad Apple announced. That turned out to be the iPad Pro 12.9". I have had it for 4 months now and I love the performance, love the pencil, but do not love the size. It is too big to use one-handed and in landscape mode too big to type on with my thumbs. If the 9.7" model had been announced at the same time, I would have bought that instead (which I suspect is why it wasn't announced at the same time).

The big screen is great for watching video. It's also great as a second display for my laptop (using an app called "duet"), which for me is main reason I'm not trading it in for the smaller Pro. I don't watch much video on the iPad, even though I have TiVo and Netflix and more on it. I generally either stream it to a TV or just set it up in the background to listen to; in either case, the small one would be fine. The small one is fine for YouTube, too; after all, most people are watching those videos in substantially smaller screens (or windows).

If I were making serious use of the pencil then it would be a different story. The big IPP is essentially a full size digital 8.5"x11" piece of paper and if I had it as a kid I probably would be able to draw really well now. My mom was able to pick it up and use it right away to do watercolors. It's a complete game changer for people who draw in digital ink. But since I'm not one of them, I expect to switch back to the smaller size iPad with my next purchase.

13. gameboy213 macrumors 6502

gameboy213

I think because you also have a laptop the 9.7 is the right device for you. The 12.9 is basically replacing mine so it makes sense.

14. infernoguy macrumors regular

infernoguy

I've had almost every iPad since the original (sans the iPad 2). The 9.7 and 7.9 inch versions just didn't feel right to me. The last one I had (mini 4) was nice but I always felt unsatisfied with it -- until the iPad Pro 12.9!

This is a real tablet! I have a MBA 13 and I've relegated it to just when I need access to Windows. Otherwise, I'm always on my iPad Pro 12.9. I have the speck case for it and it's working great for me. I can hold it when using the pencil to jot down notes and flip it over and fold the cover over and type (like I'm doing now to post on this thread).

YMMV but this tablet is the complete package for me. Entertainer, remote access device (Citrix on this thing is amazing) and notebook. I don't think the 9.7 incher would fit me.

15. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

It's all personal preference. Personally, I feel that the point of an iPad is to be light and portable, and I think the 12.9 inch iPad defeats that purpose.

16. Serban Suspended

It is worth if you have even an AIr 1, because of the ram. You can't even use split view, not to mantion the new things from upcoming iOS10

17. Fthree macrumors 6502a

i guess i could have pointed out if you possess an Air 2 or even maybe an air 1

18. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

I've got the 12.9', and I will admit it's a little heavy and has a fewer number of comfortable positions for it to be used in compared to the 9.7'!

9.7' iPads will feel huge after switching from a Mini, but you quickly get used to it.
    Same thing goes with the 12.9', once you get used to it you hardly notice that it's bigger, but you always notice that it's less comfortable/versatile to use unfortunately!

It's really up to you :D

19. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

True, if I bought an iPad Air 1 a week before iOS 9 was announced, I would've returned it just for split view alone.

20. richardmu macrumors 6502a

Use my air 2 as a general purpose tablet all day. No point in upgrading
    to the new pro version.
    Got the bigger one as soon as it was launched and love it. Have the pencil
    and keyboard but really only use it to watch movies. Big screen is lovely!

21. jdechko macrumors 601

I wavered back and forth whether to buy the 12.9 or wait for the rumored 9.7 for weeks, but in the end, I decided to go with the larger one. I can say it was the right decision for me. Yes, it's large. Yes it weighs more than the 9.7. But it turns out that not only has it more or less replaced my 11" Air, I'm also reaching for it instead of my work-issued laptop. Even the 12.9" pro weighs less than the 5lb HP monster.

In my estimation, 12.9 iPad Pro is about the size of a notepad (US letter / A4), which I usually also carried to meetings along with the work laptop. Now I just fold over the cover of the air and head off. I recently got promoted and I'm going to a lot more meetings and away from my desk a lot more. I overcome that and don't miss information because I can use my company's email app. I can work on PowerPoint presentations while I'm camping with the family and it seems like a lot less work And split view is invaluable to me to be able to have one-note open on half the screen and a pdf or OmniFocus on the other half. Over 90% of the time, when I'm in a meeting, I'm in split view.

The full size onscreen keyboard is another thing where I think the larger pro beats the smaller pro. Not only are the keys larger, but you get an extra row of keys. Not having to switch back and forth is a real time saver. You could use an external keyboard with either one, but I like having a much simpler setup. And keyboards / keyboard covers also add weight. Plus, I'm already the guy with the iPad Pro at the meeting. I don't want to be the guy with the iPad Pro and the fussy keyboard setup too.

Finally, I often work with floor plans. It's much easier to carry around a bunch of pdf files (that can be zoomed in on) than a stack of papers. Sure, I could do the same thing on the 9.7", but if feels so much nicer doing it on a larger screen, especially when I wash to show something to someone.

Technically, yes, everything I can do could also be done on a 9.7" screen. My biggest hang up was reading at night in bed. Much easier to do that with the smaller screen. But I feel that for me, the 12.9" excelled at everything else. So in the end, I'm completely satisfied with my decision.

22. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

23. Serban Suspended

.I LOVE THE BIGER ONE THE se REEN ESTATE IS A PEASME For DRAWIN SPLIT VIEW Movies

24. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

watching the birth of the Dem Communist Party
    Looks like your typing is having pronunciation and volume control issues. Going through puberty? :D

25. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

If you carry an iPad consistently around with you on your person as a note taking / e-mail reading / light work device, the 9.7 inch will be a better choice.

I've always used iPads at home, at desks, on Airplanes, on a couch, in bed, etc. For me, the extra real estate is very useful on the big Pro.

That said, I am considering getting a smaller iPad (either the Air2 or the Pro) for more "mobile" use.