The Biggest reasons to switch to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by smythology, Jan 5, 2009.

1. smythology macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm wondering what the biggest reasons are today why people are switching to Mac (stability? looks? security?) from Windows. My PC's OK but I'm thinking of getting a Mac soon and I'm weighing as many options as possible before I make a decision. Thanks for your help...

s.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

My computer does what it's told and gets out of the way of whatever I'm actually doing. It sounds simple and straightforward, but I guess that's the point.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That was it for me, I got tired of fighting with the computer to get it to do what I wanted.

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

5. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

For me, it's the ease and stability of the OS. The hardware design comes into play as well. It gets me to think in a more creative sense.

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

Hard to know but I bought a Mac for JUST ONE REASON: So that I could run software that only runs on a Mac. As far as I know, no one buys a computer just to have one. Even if they are designed well and don't crash. They buy it so that they can run software. If that software runs on a Mac buy a Mac. For me it was Aperture, Photoshop, Final Cut Exppress and now Logic Express 8 that keeps me using a Mac. If not for those I still be running Linux or Solaris on my home computers.

So? What software do you want to use? What kind of computer does it require? Buy that kind of computer.

7. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

The OS. I was using ubuntu before and it was great.. But OSX is a polished unix distorbution and that is awesome to me.
    All the unix awesomeness, but no longer have to deal with half working things, or tweaks to make things "good enough".. Plus they just look awesome :D

8. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Sure... But most importantly it's the care, thought and logic of the system (a Mac running OSX) as a whole. There are a lot of little things throughout OSX that make using it such a pleasure. The way the apps are able to work together. Click drag an image in Safari to a Finder window for instance saves the image there. None of that RMB-click-save stuff.
    Or being able to sculpt using ZBrush3.12 with tons of reference images open on a MBP 15" without being cramped for screen real estate thanks to Expose allowing me to switch very quickly between the various reference images.
    Or having the ability to create custom hotkeys for any Application on the system.
    I also like the power of AppleScript. One of the most underrated features of OSX.
    Also the fact that it has a solid Unix-like system running under the GUI. The GUI lets you do most things without cluttering it up with too much control. If you want more control you have that option available to you through the Terminal.
    I could go on.... :)

9. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I switched because:

-my ****** PC was slow and stupid, I needed a new one.

-Vista just came out, and was on every new PC

-XP was removed from stores

-I had vista on my old PC, to try it out, a cheaper upgrade version to vista basic, and it did the following for me:

-my new 30GB pod Video that I payed $300+ for didn't work, iTunes didn't even work.

-my Digital Camera didn't work

-my scanner didn't work

-various apps I use didn't work

-Vista burnt out my video card

-It was just a horrible Operating system that nothing worked with, and microsoft support just says "get them to fix it". Complete BS.

So.. I invested $1500 (with tax & extended warranty) on a new intel iMac5,1 with OS X Tiger 10.4.11 on it.

I've been happy ever since. I also found a deal on an ACER laptop with XP that I have as well.

My only problem was about a month after I purchased it, "OS X LEOPARD! NEW MORE POWERFUL iMACS "

Well Poo. Anyway, this one is still way better than my ****** Pc. The laptop is even a lot more powerful than the old PC was.

I thought I was done being pissed off at PCs...but then came a printer problem...

I try to install drivers from a CD, it says to reboot...ok.
    Pop up asks me for a DLL file on the disc, and conveniently is sitting in the directory for it...
    It begins to install some drivers (I thought the CD did that..)

it asks for another DLL file..
    the "file type" menu is grey, and it won't allow me to select "all" so I can see all the files on the disc.

I do a search from start menu to the disc, and find the DLL file it wants, go the the location, but with the "file type" menu greyed out, it won't display the DLL file it wants.

Sometimes I just really hate PCs

10. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

11. gjw4u macrumors 6502

Going Mac means a alleviation of the PC / M$ nightmare.
    e.g. why do new PCs only come with Vista, if XP is still running better...

12. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

When the Mac Operating System breaks Apple spends money fixing it, when Windows breaks Microsoft spends more money marketing it.

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You say that, but have you read anything about the early betas of Windows 7? They are spending money trying to fix the errors that Vista brought with it.

Vista has been a disaster, Microsoft know it, of course they will never admit to it. With Windows 7 they apparently are doing great things, in a number of common tasks the early Windows 7 Build 7000 beat both Windows XP and Vista.

It seems MS really are trying hard to make Windows 7 genuinely the best yet, so far they're on target to do just that. Which is good, Apple need to be kept on their toes too.

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You really love those "Get a Mac" ads, they're not biased at all or anything like that...

15. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

one huge reason many overlook is the way FONTS look. Might take a few days for you to get used to fonts looking like they were meant to look. If they look too "fuzzy" for your PC eyes, change the "Font smoothing style" to light. There is a reason why hundreds of years of craftsmanship went into fonts (typefaces), and the PC world is totally missing out, unless they read a (paper) magazine. To this day I cannot believe that it is not at least an option on Windows to allow fonts to look like they were meant to look.

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Yeah!
    ....'cept it is.

17. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

Wrong!

http://technicalconclusions.wordpress.com/2007/08/23/subpixel-rendering/

“Apple generally believes that the goal of the algorithm should be to preserve the design of the typeface as much as possible, even at the cost of a little bit of blurriness. Microsoft generally believes that the shape of each letter should be hammered into pixel boundaries to prevent blur and improve readability, even at the cost of not being true to the typeface.”

18. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Windows 7 is just vista service pack 2

19. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It really isn't :rolleyes:

20. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

ok im sorry if you dont count using exactly the same kernel code just an extension of the same operating system then perhaps ive been missing something for the past 20 years.

21. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

when i made the switch about 3 years ago it was iLife that was the biggest incentive... and the fact that I didn't have to load virus scanners and all that rubbish too :D

22. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It's still Windows I grant you, still over all it's much of the same, but if you read anything about the early builds of 7 you will see there is an over whelming positiveness about it. Even at this early stage it's faster than Vista and XP in most cases. They are improving many areas where Vista had good ideas, but awful implementation.

Don't write MS off yet, Windows 7 is looking good. To cast it aside as Vista SP2 is ridiculous.

23. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

I am pretty sure the fonts will still look like crap in windows 7...

24. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

25. garybUK Guest

garybUK

You want to bet? They have put technology into Windows 7 called 'DirectWrite' which is a OpenType/ClearType set of DirectX API's

I have been playing with Windows 7 Build 7000 and it's an amazing release, so much more refined than Vista, it really is what Vista should have been, It's a very very very slick operating system upto now.

And to a post before by i.shaun: You think this never happens with Apple? Look at when they moved from OS9 to OSX, classic environment was a joke.

A lot of the problems with drivers for Vista was the new platforms it introduced that needed drivers re-writing, especially where sound was concerned. Since SP1 vista has been a lot more stable and robust.