Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
one huge reason many overlook is the way FONTS look. Might take a few days for you to get used to fonts looking like they were meant to look. If they look too "fuzzy" for your PC eyes, change the "Font smoothing style" to light. There is a reason why hundreds of years of craftsmanship went into fonts (typefaces), and the PC world is totally missing out, unless they read a (paper) magazine. To this day I cannot believe that it is not at least an option on Windows to allow fonts to look like they were meant to look.

One of the main reasons that got me started looking at Macs. The fonts on a PC look terrible.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Alright, now name one that pertains to Vista and affects the end user.

Ah, the old "you got me, so I'll just move the target" game. Ok, since I listed 700% more issues (and stopped there because I got bored, not because I was out of issues- (how about built-in backups that work?) than you originally requested, I'll play again (note *your* post mentioned XP.)

1. http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/02/05/Driver-problems-still-haunting-Vista_1.html

2. If your vendors *can't* bring you real security, it affects you. The TrustedBSD subsystem means that OSX has the capability to actually protect the end-user from its programs. It also happens to protect a user's data in Time Machine backups.

3. & 4. http://www.pcworld.com/article/128660/windows_defender_lets_spyware_slip_onto_vista_pcs.html
http://www.helpmerick.com/node/1442
http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/08/04/HNvistaviruses_1.html
http://www.vistareview.info/2008/01...moto-virus-from-windows-vista-or-xp-computer/
http://techreckoner.com/old-virus-infects-new-vista/
http://www.techsupportforum.com/sec...-threads/331207-got-infect-unknown-virus.html
http://www.xtreme-source.com/news-reviews/4281-viruses-can-infect-windows-vista.html
(There are so many examples I could probably spend the afternoon Googling.)

5. It's obvious that SP1 wouldn't have been necessary if MS had fixed their code prior to release. Here's an example:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS08-069.mspx
Please note that according to Microsoft, none of the Vista installs are rated as "low."

Also, note that had Vista been engineered better, 13-year old boot sector viruses and it's own software update mechanisms wouldn't have been vectors for attack.

6. Lack of a built-in dd affects my ability to image disks without introducing third-party software to the environment.

7. Yeah, it only took Microsoft 15 YEARS to add the /r switch to dir. That's right- for fifteen years the NTFS filesystem could hide objects from a system administrator that they had *no way of finding using any tool shipped by Microsoft with the OS.* That may give you confidence in Microsoft's ability to produce an OS, it doesn't me.

Please note that even things which have been fixed were in retail versions that people paid money for, buying into Microsoft's "it's not a problem in Vista" mantra.

I'm not sure why you'd rather have an OS vendor that makes you pay for code with thousands of bugs they already know about but decide not to fix than one who tries to fix all the bugs before releasing their code, but hey, that's your prerogative. It'd be interesting to see how you evaluate cars.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I'm not sure why you'd rather have an OS vendor that makes you pay for code with thousands of bugs they already know about but decide not to fix than one who tries to fix all the bugs before releasing their code, but hey, that's your prerogative. It'd be interesting to see how you evaluate cars.

Please don't say I'd prefer Vista. I like OS X a lot more than Vista (of course! I'm a Mac user) I'm just not one to blindly follow the flock, nor will I bash Vista for issues I haven't personally experienced. Besides I'm more comfortable in OS X, simply because I'm much better in the shell than I am command prompt.

wizzracer

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Dallas, Texas
Compuwar, Your beating a dead horse in here.

I tried to explain to someone why windows 2000 came out. It was the end all crash proof OS. If a application fails only the first layer would stop responding. It never worked that way in the real world. All Seven layers would fail, maybe just the top five on a good day:D

Until they revamp the Kernel the problems will remain. Not to mention piss poor customer service:eek:

If you think you don't have a problem just open Control Panel-Add Remove Programs, and check the box show Updates. It don't matter which Microsoft OS you use, they all have the same Security Problems

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Compuwar, Your beating a dead horse in here.

I tried to explain to someone why windows 2000 came out. It was the end all crash proof OS. If a application fails only the first layer would stop responding. It never worked that way in the real world. All Seven layers would fail, maybe just the top five on a good day:D

Until they revamp the Kernel the problems will remain. Not to mention piss poor customer service:eek:
While I dont think Vista is TERRIBLE, its not my cup of tea. It baffles me that 7, as publicly stated my MS, is based upon Vista's kernel.

So does that mean the problems come from somewhere else? Have they just implemented some workarounds with it?

By all accounts tho 7 is much better than Vista, which to me just begs the question, why couldnt they just fix up vista? My guess is that they decided that the vista name has failed and wish to move on as quickly as possible to salvage the company's reputation, which of course is very understandable.

wizzracer

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Dallas, Texas
You hit the nail on the head. Vista was a failure and the name when spoken means, It's a cheap copy of OSX with all the windows problems still there.

They can change the name all they want. The problems are going to remain until they start over with a real OS. Remember microsoft did not make there OS, They bought it from someone else.

On the other hand Apple created, designed, and improved on theres from day one! they know whats under the hood cause they built it.:D

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
The os

Hi,

I'm wondering what the biggest reasons are today why people are switching to Mac (stability? looks? security?) from Windows. My PC's OK but I'm thinking of getting a Mac soon and I'm weighing as many options as possible before I make a decision. Thanks for your help...

s.
:apple:No viruses or spyware and value stays high look up g4 powerbook I saw one go for $600 bucks and there over 5 years old!:apple::eek:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
You hit the nail on the head. Vista was a failure and the name when spoken means, It's a cheap copy of OSX with all the windows problems still there.

They can change the name all they want. The problems are going to remain until they start over with a real OS. Remember microsoft did not make there OS, They bought it from someone else.

On the other hand Apple created, designed, and improved on theres from day one! they know whats under the hood cause they built it.:D
To the underlined: Thats what I was trying to get at, for some reason even tho its built from the same kernel as Vista, 7 doesnt seem to have any of its problems which begs the question, why didnt they just fix vista instead of making a new OS?

And to the italicized: I think you mean the OS that open source and NEXT made.....

wizzracer

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Dallas, Texas
Windows 7 is not released to the public yet, but I can see from the problems IE8 is having it does not look good for MS.

The basic building blocks of any OS is the first four layers, The other Three are window dressing. The kernel has to be the first thing you get right. Until MS address these problem's it can only fix it with a patch.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Windows 7 is not released to the public yet, but I can see from the problems IE8 is having it does not look good for MS.

The basic building blocks of any OS is the first four layers, The other Three are window dressing. The kernel has to be the first thing you get right. Until MS address these problem's it can only fix it with a patch.

There have been a great number of betas and the public one went up yesterday. So far I havnet seen one bad review, it seems windows might have a hit, if you like windows.

wizzracer

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Dallas, Texas
As for an operating system (OS) for the new computers, since Microsoft had never written an operating system before, Gates had suggested that IBM investigate an OS called CP/M (Control Program for Microcomputers), written by Gary Kildall of Digital Research. Kindall had his Ph.D. in computers and had written the most successful operating system of the time, selling over 600,000 copies of CP/M, his OS set the standard at that time.

IBM tried to contact Kildall for a meeting, executives met with Mrs. Kildall who refused to sign a non-disclosure agreement. IBM soon returned to Bill Gates and gave Microsoft the contract to write the new operating system, one that would eventually wipe Kildall's CP/M out of common use.

The "Microsoft Disk Operating System" or MS-DOS was based on QDOS, the "Quick and Dirty Operating System" written by Tim Paterson of Seattle Computer Products, for their prototype Intel 8086 based computer.

QDOS was based on Gary Kildall's CP/M, Paterson had bought a CP/M manual and used it as the basis to write his operating system in six weeks, QDOS was different enough from CP/M to be considered legal.

Microsoft bought the rights to QDOS for $50,000, keeping the IBM deal a secret from Seattle Computer Products.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
As for an operating system (OS) for the new computers, since Microsoft had never written an operating system before, Gates had suggested that IBM investigate an OS called CP/M (Control Program for Microcomputers), written by Gary Kildall of Digital Research. Kindall had his Ph.D. in computers and had written the most successful operating system of the time, selling over 600,000 copies of CP/M, his OS set the standard at that time.

IBM tried to contact Kildall for a meeting, executives met with Mrs. Kildall who refused to sign a non-disclosure agreement. IBM soon returned to Bill Gates and gave Microsoft the contract to write the new operating system, one that would eventually wipe Kildall's CP/M out of common use.

The "Microsoft Disk Operating System" or MS-DOS was based on QDOS, the "Quick and Dirty Operating System" written by Tim Paterson of Seattle Computer Products, for their prototype Intel 8086 based computer.

QDOS was based on Gary Kildall's CP/M, Paterson had bought a CP/M manual and used it as the basis to write his operating system in six weeks, QDOS was different enough from CP/M to be considered legal.

Microsoft bought the rights to QDOS for $50,000, keeping the IBM deal a secret from Seattle Computer Products.

Yes we all know the history of Microsoft, but where were you going with that?:confused:

wizzracer

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Dallas, Texas
Just using Red Dog alone turns me off. I don't need MS running my system from a server farm housed at there site.:mad:

It will make us dependent on there server's being up and running 24/7, and lets face it MS has a poor track record for Customer service.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Just using Red Dog alone turns me off. I don't need MS running my system from a server farm housed at there site.:mad:

It will make us dependent on there server's being up and running 24/7, and lets face it MS has a poor track record for Customer service.

Whats Red Dog?

wizzracer

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Dallas, Texas
Yes we all know the history of Microsoft, but where were you going with that?:confused:

They didn't even create there own OS, they reverse engineered it. If they would steal all his hard work. why wold you keep supporting him.

The next time MS says we will protect "Our OS" remember they stole it first:D

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
They didn't even create there own OS, they reverse engineered it. If they would steal all his hard work. why wold you keep supporting him.

The next time MS says we will protect "Our OS" remember they stole it first:D

Just like Apple bought OSX from NEXT and alot of it was from open sources....

Edit: And thanks for the concern, but the second I can jump ship off this toshiba to a new macbook in a few months, theres no way in hell im using windows for a loooooooong time.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
The word was bought, Not reverse engineered or stole! One reason SX is UNIX based not DOS.

Well technically they really didnt steal anything. They legally bought DOS, and as for having a GUI, xerox did allow apple to take it.

Trust me, I really dont like windows, its not awful, but im just sick of it. I'm merely trying to point out that apple isnt some white knight and microsoft the devil.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
That's hardly the same thing, NeXT was Steve Jobs' company, as was Apple (in the first place, but also) when they bought NeXT.

So?

It is the same thing, one company buying a product from the other. Steve being there was just that, him being there. There was no connection between the companies other than that.

Apple buying NEXT is indeed the same as Microsoft buying DOS.

wizzracer

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Dallas, Texas
Well technically they really didnt steal anything. They legally bought DOS, and as for having a GUI, xerox did allow apple to take it.

Trust me, I really dont like windows, its not awful, but im just sick of it. I'm merely trying to point out that apple isnt some white knight and microsoft the devil.

Apples own words after Microsoft worked with Apple on the PARC project.

Apple was not happy at all with Windows. Even before the system appeared on the shelves, Apple was threatening Microsoft with lawsuits that alleged patent infringement, intellectual theft, what have you. In an ingenious move, Microsoft signed a licensing agreement with Apple that stated Microsoft would not employ Apple technology in Windows 1.0, but made no such agreement for further versions of Windows. It took a while for Apple to realize that Microsoft had thoroughly skunked them; the realization took longer to hit because of Windows’ dismal failure on the consumer market

Jaredistheman

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2008
Honestly, i see them as about the same. I like apple and i like microsoft. I'm not a crazed fanboy blinded by pop culture and trends. That being said, it really depends on what your needs are. Macs are more user friendly of the most part, and they look great and the OS runs smooth, however, i've found some compatibility issues with programs i really liked to use on my pc. But since it's just one main program, the best thing to do is get VMwares Fusion 2 or something comparable. That allows you to run your needed windows programs on your mac. But mac does have some fun stuff, like widgets in the dashboard, apple script editor and other things. Over all though i like my mac book, and for the most part, most things you used in windows, someone has made something comparable for mac. Plus the apple lighting up on the back of the screen against my black macbook is just so damn cool. haha

I big thing that scares me about apple is their generally shotty hardware. Go in the macbook forum and 70% of the topics are about things failing/hardware issues. Now i would love to buy apple care, but my macbook is a couple years old and i bought it off ebay from a guy who didn't buy the applecare plan. I think it says alot about apples confidence in their on craftsmanship when they only give you a year to buy a warranty. All that says to me is we know it's gonna break so you better buy it now or you'll be paying out the ass when you computer craps out. Thankfully alot of the main parts that would fail in my macbook have been recently replaced by the first and only owner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.