Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While charging stands of various designs have proven to be popular accessories for Apple Watch users, a perhaps lesser known category of accessories revolves around protecting the Apple Watch while wearing it.

One of these accessories is Actionproof's "The Bumper," a tight-fitting silicone sleeve that promises to protect your new Apple wearable from all the trips and spills made in everyday life. The Bumper may also provide some protection in extreme environments, with the bumper itself offering high resistance to UV radiation, ozone, outdoor exposure, extreme cold (minimum -40°C) and hot (maximum 120°C) temperatures, and basic chemical and abrasion combatants.

Positives

The good thing about The Bumper is that it does what it sets out to do. When placed safely around the 42mm Apple Watch case, The Bumper doesn't move or jostle throughout the day. It's a perfect fit for the wearable, with cutouts for the Digital Crown, microphone, speaker, and heart rate sensor. One of the only protective cases to cover the Digital Crown, The Bumper does so with a bracketed slice of silicone that bisects over the Crown, leaving an open space for your finger to manipulate and scroll the knob regardless of which wrist and orientation the watch is worn on.

Photo-Jun-09-10-16-44-AM-2-800x577.jpg

The small piece covering the Digital Crown makes it so pressing on the button is still manageable, though not quite as easy as without The Bumper. And although a few phone conversations had over the Watch with The Bumper went smoothly, I felt my Apple Watch needed a closer positioning to my face than usual to both hear the conversation and provide ample speaking volume for the person to whom I was speaking. They, on the other hand, remarked no noticeable dip in quality or volume throughout the call.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: 'The Bumper' Review: Apple Watch Case Offers Ample Protection but Some Bulk

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
It looks a lot worse than the mock-ups on the website, which suggested something more structured than a silicon sleeve. $35 is way too high for that.

BlackSmp

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
Sweden
I have a bit of a problem understanding why some people are so keen to protect the watch? We don't expect the hardware to last longer than a couple of year before it is obsolete - so why protect the case?

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
That is incredibly ugly/bulky.
Honestly, I wouldn't be opposed to some type of bumper/cover if it could be installed and removed very quickly.
For example, if someone likes to do obstacle races (Tough Mudder, etc.) and would still dare to wear the watch doing one of those, it might be nice to have a cover that you could quickly put on before the event and take it off as soon as you didn't need that level of protection.
I don't know. Laudable concept I guess, but yeah ... fugly.

acblue94

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
New York, NY.

While charging stands of various designs have proven to be popular accessories for Apple Watch users, a perhaps lesser known category of accessories revolves around protecting the Apple Watch while wearing it.

One of these accessories is Actionproof's "The Bumper," a tight-fitting silicone sleeve that promises to protect your new Apple wearable from all the trips and spills made in everyday life. The Bumper may also provide some protection in extreme environments, with the bumper itself offering high resistance to UV radiation, ozone, outdoor exposure, extreme cold (minimum -40°C) and hot (maximum 120°C) temperatures, and basic chemical and abrasion combatants.

Positives

The good thing about The Bumper is that it does what it sets out to do. When placed safely around the 42mm Apple Watch case, The Bumper doesn't move or jostle throughout the day. It's a perfect fit for the wearable, with cutouts for the Digital Crown, microphone, speaker, and heart rate sensor. One of the only protective cases to cover the Digital Crown, The Bumper does so with a bracketed slice of silicone that bisects over the Crown, leaving an open space for your finger to manipulate and scroll the knob regardless of which wrist and orientation the watch is worn on.

Photo-Jun-09-10-16-44-AM-2-800x577.jpg

The small piece covering the Digital Crown makes it so pressing on the button is still manageable, though not quite as easy as without The Bumper. And although a few phone conversations had over the Watch with The Bumper went smoothly, I felt my Apple Watch needed a closer positioning to my face than usual to both hear the conversation and provide ample speaking volume for the person to whom I was speaking. They, on the other hand, remarked no noticeable dip in quality or volume throughout the call.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: 'The Bumper' Review: Apple Watch Case Offers Ample Protection but Some Bulk

Oh goodnes. So for the people that paid extra for gold, let's cover it up with a case.

ImperfectLion

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
The only time I see this coming in handy is when doing any extreme outdoor activity such as trekking or mountain climbing etc.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Instead of the $35 dollars for this monster, I spent an extra $100 to get SS with sapphire. After spending that kind of cash, there is no way I am turning this beauty into a monster.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I'm wondering if the makers of this case ever asked themselves how many people wearing luxury watches are using bumper cases.

Reactions: neier

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
I'm wondering if the makers of this case ever asked themselves how many people wearing luxury watches are using bumper cases.
I think they heard the name Apple and thought it synonymous with "case protection" so they just threw something together for whatever product came out to make a quick buck.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.