'The Bumper' Review: Apple Watch Case Offers Ample Protection but Some Bulk

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Jun 10, 2015.

1. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

"But those more concerned in showing off the nice looks of the Apple Watch and Apple Watch Sport -- and less concerned about small spills and bumps their device may take along the way -- probably won't find much use in Actionproof's protective rubber case."

Don't know how more honest I could be.

2. iadmin, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015

iadmin macrumors newbie

Got myself one of this instead because it looks almost invisible...little more bulk than regular Apple Watchbut at least no more rash, it was really becoming painful.... so i got it more to protect myselfthan to protect the watch... tought it was the band...turned out it was the chassis! now since only the glass part touches my skin i do not have any more rashes and my watch is protected...it's a win win!!!!
    And paid less than that!!!!

3. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

I think everyone would agree that you drew the short straw in getting to write this product review.

To most folks it apparently seems silly that anyone would actually pair it with a watch at all. ;)

4. DogHouseDub macrumors 6502

DogHouseDub

You see Rolex owners with these types of bumpers on their watches all the time...

5. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

Hah, that's what I'm getting from this comment thread as well:)

6. HowieIsaacks macrumors regular

HowieIsaacks

Great job! They took a beautiful device and make it look like crap.

7. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

Oh please! We don't run around trying to find silicon bumper cases for our Rolexes and Omegas, why would anyone want one for an Apple watch? Just take a little care to not carelessly bang it into anything and it'll do fine.

8. r8ders2k, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015

r8ders2k macrumors member

Blatant rip-off of Spigen's :apple: Watch cases.

FWIW, I have personally purchased both the Actionproof's Bumper and Spigen's Tough Armor :apple: Watch case for my 42mm Sport.

Why? I'm work in a hazardous job environment and I was going to continue using my Pebble at work. Not that even my Pebble had a protective film on it and it has numerous nicks and scrape marks on the film that protected the Pebble. So when I saw that someone came out with a case for the :apple: Watch, I thought I give it a try. I received the Spigen case first and am still waiting for the Actionproof Bumper to ship.

Mind you, I don't think that people who wear a Rolex would wear such in my line of work.

Well, as live goes, the very first time I wore my Spigen case enclosed :apple: Watch, I fell while walking on a muddy path. I had to put my arms out to brace my fall and my left hand went into the mud. Had I not had my :apple: Watch encased in the Spigen Tough Armor case, my :apple: Watch would have been covered in mud.

How many of you would have been cussing up a storm over getting your new :apple: Watch covered in mud...?

So, for me, the $18.99 I spent on Amazon was worth it.

9. dannys1 Suspended

dannys1

Oh....my.....what on earth is this monstrosity. As if tacky cheap hideous phone cases weren't bad enough, now this?

I'd rather have a massive dent or smash screen on both than any of this hideous rubbish covering them. Proudly used every single iPhone naked since 2007 and thats never going to change, and this is a whole new level of ridiculous-ness. I just don't understand some people, I really don't.

10. Gooberton macrumors 65816

STOP WITH THE FREAKIN ADS AS POSTS !! You suck

11. PeterJay macrumors newbie

PeterJay

I got my Bumper yesterday, after paying about $25 on Kickstarter a few months ago.

It's bulkier and looser-fitting (and... uglier) than I would like, and definitely something I'd only wear because I knew I was going to do something where the watch might get damaged (such as moving my brother's shed yesterday.)

That said, it still has a valid reason to exist, and I thought the review was fair.

12. Davisjames, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015

Davisjames macrumors newbie

Davisjames

Hi Guys, i brought these from amazon.com for only $9.99. Thought id show you some pics because as the days have passed i have really grown to like them. I know im going to get slated here from people that think a case for a watch is a bit stupid and to be honest i was in the same boat as you all about a week thinking the same thing, i guess i brought them out of curiosity as $9.99 wasn't going to break the bank and i really like the Orzly apple watch stand i brought so thought id try out another product

Anyway, Anyway, they probably protect the watch about 20%, they go some way to protect it against scratches in the corners and its until you wear a $600 watch that you really start to realise just how clumsy you are with your wrists. Anyway any watch prior to this has cost me $100 max and is normally a designer Armani watch or something like that so this apple watch really was a big investment when you consider it will be outdated in 12-24 months when apple bring out the next generation watch

Anyway what i like about these is, as well as a bit of protection they completly change the look of your watch. I like to have something different on my wrist compared to the next person and the apple watch has quickly become quite common in my friend circle full of geeks so this little pack completly changes the look of it.

Im currently using the black sports band with a black faceplate. Its not going to look like the much more expensive Official apple black stainless addition which i really really like but you could easily mistake it from a distance as the pics below show. I also like the way the watch looks with a black strap and a white faceplate as shown below.

Anyway for $9.99 i was quite proud of this purchase so i thought id share this with readers. This is my first ever product review so please be gentle with your replies :)

IMG_5508.JPG IMG_5507.JPG IMG_5509.JPG IMG_5512.JPG IMG_5500.JPG IMG_5499.JPG

13. JTToft macrumors 68040

Holy hell. The hideousness of that thing knows no boundaries.