'The Bumper' Review: Apple Watch Case Offers Ample Protection but Some Bulk

earthTOmitchel

Contributing Editor
Staff member
Mar 6, 2015
Louisiana
That is incredibly ugly/bulky.
Honestly, I wouldn't be opposed to some type of bumper/cover if it could be installed and removed very quickly.
For example, if someone likes to do obstacle races (Tough Mudder, etc.) and would still dare to wear the watch doing one of those, it might be nice to have a cover that you could quickly put on before the event and take it off as soon as you didn't need that level of protection.
I don't know. Laudable concept I guess, but yeah ... fugly.
After a few days, the process of removing and putting on the bumper definitely gets smoother, but I wouldn't exactly call it something that could be done mindlessly, unfortunately:( And you're definitely, right, those are the kind of events I had in mind when addressing the best use cases for the bumper, although like you said once a certain sporting event gets treacherous enough, I'd imagine I'll be taking my $600 watch off in the first place.

Reactions: extricated

NissanGuy23

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2010
Doesn't seem like it fits really that well, like its too big for the Apple watch. The rubber molding seems wobbly.

Also, is a watch something that needs a case? Its attached to your wrist, its not like there is a seriously threat of it being dropped? You don't see a Rolex with a big rubber case on it.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Some of these comments are pretty funny. I take it none of you do anything active outside? I'm not super active but I wanted something to protect my watch when I work outside or if I'm out somewhere doing a photo shoot. So I ordered this thing on Amazon. There's actually an identical one on Amazon here that has more reviews but I just ordered the other one because it had fast Prime shipping on the 42mm. My mom lives pretty close to an Apple Store so she's delivering a black sport band when they come visit this weekend. Hopefully they're in stock! My watch won't be in a case 80-90% of the time but if I don't have something covering it 10-20% of the time it could really take a beating!

JulesK

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2002
Some of these comments are pretty funny. I take it none of you do anything active outside? I'm not super active but I wanted something to protect my watch when I work outside or if I'm out somewhere doing a photo shoot. So I ordered this thing on Amazon. There's actually an identical one on Amazon here that has more reviews but I just ordered the other one because it had fast Prime shipping on the 42mm. My mom lives pretty close to an Apple Store so she's delivering a black sport band when they come visit this weekend. Hopefully they're in stock! My watch won't be in a case 80-90% of the time but if I don't have something covering it 10-20% of the time it could really take a beating!
If this bumper actually looked like the one shown on the website, I might consider it, even at $35. The black one in the story, however, looks horrible and ill-fitting. I own plenty of G-Shocks; I appreciate a tough watch. The Apple Watch is far from a tough watch (even the Sport version) because of its design (beautiful, huge, completely unprotected crystal that tapers at the edges, so I think that there is a place for a good bumper or two. It's just that this one, for $35, is ridiculous.

Reactions: mkeeley

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
With just about 1 exception, MacRumors always goes out of its way to say nothing negative and even word the bad things as middle of the road to not offend any of the companies they review products from.

Certainly not a source I'd trust. Far better to go and hit a place like Amazon, find the highest voted bad review and find out what the real issues with a product are.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

abhibeckert

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
So when the Apple Car comes out, are companies going to come out with a big rubber "case" that fits over your car? Some things shouldn't be covered.
Of course.

There's a big market for car protection. From clear adhesive plastic (similar to a screen protector, but thicker) to steel pipes/bars to protect you from hitting wildlife:

Even Longer

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Head of a pin
I may be part of a small minority, but I do really dislike the Apple watch design, even if the build quality seems to be good. It appears to me like a shrunken down iPhone 3G of yore.
I actually ask myself, how many people would agree to wear such watch, if there was no Apple logo behind it...

Regardless of my opinion Apple watch being ugly, these bumpers are monstrosity of a very special kind!

By the way, I do appreciate and own luxury watches, - it is the only jewellery we, men, can have (besides of a beautiful woman on our side, of course ;) ). But I would never consider putting any kind bumper to my Omega GoodPlanet.

Bottom line: watches are there to be worn and lives are to be lived without bumpers, whatsoever.

Last edited:

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
A bit unsightly?!

It's a bit like saying that Hitler was a bit evil. Or that Shakespeare could write a bit. Or that Apple has made a bit of money.

The sea has a bit of water in it.
The sun has a bit of heat.
Steve Jobs had a bit of a vision.

Byte me.

Reactions: mkeeley

Pakaku

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2009
I guess I need to protect my 17,000$ investment SOMEHOW... especially the crown.

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
Actionproof's "The Bumper," a tight-fitting silicone sleeve that promises to protect your new Apple wearable from all the trips and spills made in everyday life. The Bumper ... itself offering high resistance to ... basic chemical and abrasion combatants.
From the cut away product photo on the Actionproof website, it seems like there may be scope for small abrasive items (grains of whatever) to get inside the sleeve via the port cut outs. There seems to be a slim void running around the edge of the Watch. If so, the bumper itself could cause trapped items to repeatedly scratch the Watch case.

but seeing as Actionproof is branding The Bumper with a sports-like edge on its website, it's probably not a product meant to be worn with the Milanese Loop or Link Bracelet in the first place.
Their website shows the product as being intended for both the Sport Watch and SS Watch and includes options to preview it with any band - including Link Bracelets and the Milanese Loop. http://actionproof.com

Last edited:

ColdShadow

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2013
Good lord..
I really can't believe this is real.
it's so outrageously stupid and ugly..
covering a "watch" in thick ugly rubber case and wearing it on your wrist..
damn!

earthTOmitchel

Contributing Editor
Staff member
Mar 6, 2015
Louisiana
that's terrible. covering the watch itself is bad enough, but when it hinders the digital crown? disgusting.
I'd definitely say it's less of a hindrance and more of a slight obstruction, and only to impressing onto the Crown, scrolling felt pretty normal.
From the cut away product photo on the Actionproof website, it seems like there may be scope for small abrasive items (grains of whatever) to get inside the sleeve via the port cut outs. There seems to be a slim void running around the edge of the Watch. If so, the bumper itself could cause trapped items to repeatedly scratch the Watch case.

Their website shows the product as being intended for both the Sport Watch and SS Watch and includes options to preview it with any band - including Link Bracelets and the Milanese Loop. http://actionproof.com
Yeah, I thought about that, but the company's wording is so heavy on sports-based activity, it seems silly that anyone would actually pair it with a link bracelet. And since the bumpers didn't look very good with my sport band, I extrapolated that they'd look even poorer on nicer, higher-priced bands, as well.