The Car Mod Thread...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MatthewLTL, Jun 27, 2015.

1. MatthewLTL, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015

MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Awhile ago I started a Thread on the PowerPC forum of showing off your PowerPC Mods.

I thought just for the hell of it I would start a thread of people here on MR showing mods to their vehicles.
    These can be simple things such as a stereo/sound system install/upgrades to complex things like engine mods.

Ill start off with showing mine.

Here's one.
    [​IMG]
    Low-profile White 1156 LED Bulb upgrade. There are in the rear reverse lights and turn signals.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

3. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Not entirely. This thread is broad on the term of "Mod" For the sake of thread subject this means anything NOT OE IE Screw clamps replacing spring clamps, Metal thermostat housing vs OE Plastic. Something as small as adding a sub to the car is topic for this thread.

4. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

So, will that include coloured pedals and odd knobs?

KGB:cool:

5. A.Goldberg, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Before. After.

oklol9.jpg Screen Shot 2015-06-28 at 1.43.26 AM.png

And because someone stole my valve stem caps, some new ones.
    [​IMG]

Killer Modz

6. MatthewLTL, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015

MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

yes it would. even if they are OE replacements to worn out ones
    do you have one of those SmartKey systems (where you have the fob on your person and no physical key for the car?
    And because someone stole my valve stem caps, some new ones.
    1. Why would anyone steal valve caps?
    2. Where did you get grey ones?
    Speaking of valve stem caps:

BEFORE:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    AFTER:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Got them to match the padals and shift knob. I plan to get better hubcaps, all that heat from seized calipers warped the factory hubs

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I severely modded my 2015 Acura TLX. Can't believe the crap they ship from the factory.

Chrome spinners

[​IMG]

Added cooled seats, only came with heated seats.

[​IMG]

They don't even offer a heated steering wheel as an option so I installed my own.

[​IMG]

Next Friday is pay day so I'm getting a 'My other car is a Daewoo' bumper sticker.

8. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

nice try, that is a Toyoter steering wheel. no such thing as a heated steering wheel cover and seat beads wont cool much. The rims are cool but most likely dont even look good on the SUV they are on and those thin tyres kill any wow factor those rims would have,

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The gas in my car isn't the same gas that came from the factory. That counts as a mod, right?

10. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

no fluids dont count.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

My nana just got a sweet Bumper Buddy Gold Edition for her Maxima.

13. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

The hose clamps and Thermostat are Aftermarket...

14. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

15. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

[@quagmire HP figures revised]

+400HP worth of sticker mods, also running aftermarket air in the tires.

16. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Those stickers just gave you an extra 400 extra HP! And those exhaust tips make it sound like a Ferrari V12!

Jealous......

17. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Excuse my ignorance, but how do an automatic gear shifter and gas/break pedals wear out, especially after 45,000 miles? I'm not familiar with this phenomenon.

I do, BMW calls it Comfort Access. There are touch sensors in the door handles and trunk for locking/unlocking. The key does not have to be put in the ignition slot to start but is used if the battery dies in the key. BMWs also save diagnostic and personal settings in the keys, so you need to put it in every once in a while to have the information copy as it won't do it wirelessly. There is a physical key hidden in the fob as well for manual unlocking of the doors and glovebox. I prefer a turnkey ignition rather than push to start, but it is convenient if you're carrying stuff or in a hurry so you don't have to dig through your pockets.

I'm not quite sure why someone would, but they did. Maybe they wanted silver/grey caps? I bought them on Amazon, they're the original part made by Alligator, the company that makes there TPMS sensors.

Rather than better hubcaps, I'd suggest alloy wheels if you want a better look. Those wouldn't happen to be this color Red?

My grandfather swears by those things. He's had the same beaded seat cover and half a dozen E-Classes throughout my entire life. I imagine those must ruin the seats?

I forgot about pink fuzzy dice.
    Screen Shot 2015-06-28 at 9.52.14 AM.png

I should get this bobblehead Moses (in place of the Dashboard Jesus, he wouldn't be appropriate)
    Screen Shot 2015-06-28 at 9.58.35 AM.png

18. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Funny enough, I do actually have some aftermarket valve caps that were on my SSR wheels/tires. They've got little H logos (cute, right?), but they're "tamper proof". There's a little removal tool I keep on my keys, basically it squeezes a collar that locks the inner threaded component to the outer metal casing so they unscrew, vs. turning them without the "key" where they just spin freely.

19. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

That would be semi-believeable if that Honda had a FL plate one it. This thread is not a joke thread.
    1. The OE Rubber covers do wear out the Impala's OE Brake Pedal cover has half the grooves in the rubbor worn smooth. And the automatic shifter is worn out. The button keeps flying out of it.
    2. Where's the ignition hidden?
    3. I had to get new innertubes on my bike trailer and when i did they came with simular caps to those exept instead of being black or grey they were red.
    4. Alloy wheels are WAY out of the price range I can afford. Plus with all the trouble they cause on the Impala, I am in no rush to get any.
    5. The beads DO do wonders if you have a bad back. My mom got them for the front seats of the Impala. They also do wonders if you have a sore ass.

The dice are illegal here (you can't have anything hanging off the mirror), and those bobbleheads are tacky

20. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Seems it would be a PITA when it comes time to checking the pressure / airing them up.

21. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Damn, what a sexy mod! I love that keychain!

BMW sent me a USB flash drive that looked like the key and that was my keychain... Then it fell off somewhere and that was the end of that :(

[​IMG]

22. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

The sad thing is there are some mods that aren't too bad on that car. The wheels are decent, and while I'm not a body kit kind of guy, it seems reasonably OK. Lose the wing, or use one that blends better with the car,maybe a little deck type wing, get an exhaust that tucks/fits a little cleaner, put on a body color trunk lid ... and pull off all those stickers.

The problem with aftermarket parts aren't the parts, it's most people have no sense of design/aesthetic. I used to win all sorts of car shows because my stuff was carefully selected, very high quality (in terms of fit and finish), and everything worked *together* to create a total, effective appearance and/or legitimately contributed to the car's performance.

It's the ol' quality over quantity ...

I also have seat locks ...

23. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Man, y'all aint doing dis car modding properly

lemme show y'all how its done!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gorgeous pink wheel covers and shift knob
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sexy ass seat covers
    [​IMG]

ergonomic steering wheel cover
    [​IMG]

modern radio
    [​IMG]

its got a hidden turbo too!
    [​IMG]

24. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

were you also in Tokyo drift? I think I saw you there when I pulled up in my Daewoo

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You can't start your car mod thread off with aftermarket hose clamps and then say the thread is not a joke thread.

That's not worn out. That's crappy build quality. Buttons aren't supposed to fly out of automatic shifters.