The Car Mod Thread...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MatthewLTL, Jun 27, 2015.

1. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Woah AutoUnion, that's a nice Daewoo. When did you get that? Did you trade in the Audi? I think the mods you have done are quite tasteful. The cheetah print steering wheel accents the red floral and metallic nicely. Those shifter and pedals look red more than anything. You're going to have to take me for a ride down Storrow Drive to show how she handles.

Matt- maybe this Daewoo will give you some ideas for modifications.

2. bunnspecial macrumors 604

bunnspecial

I use Mobil 1 in my car instead of the factory specified OEM oil...that's aftermarket, right?

Oh, I'm also running on Bridgestones instead of Michelins(OEM). I put a Napa(Carter) serpentine belt on the other day. Of course, all of that stuff is aftermarket.

3. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

That was when I was living in Germany and touring with The Scorpions.

Side note: as much fun as this is, The Car Thread is about ALL things car related, from the first post:

Note the inclusion of topics like TUNING, MODIFICATIONS and BUILDS :)

4. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

The Honda semi-believable? Perhaps, but maybe he just thinks he won't get pulled over without a legal US license plate. After all, you haven't always driven with a front plate.

1. I thought the pedals were on the Daewoo? If they are, this doesn't answer my question. But anyways, why do you replace the pedal when the grooves are relatively useless (its more the material itself that provides traction) yet think it's ok not to change the oil for years on end.
    2. The ignition isn't hidden, it's on the steering column but it's an electronic system. The whole fob just slides into the slot and the key is verified digitally. Then you press the start button. To get the key out, you press it in and it pops out. The hidden key within the fob is only for manually locking/unlocking the doors, trunk and glovebox, it can't be used to start the car (there is actually a programmed plastic valet key which is your other option). The Comfort Access is an option, the standard key has the same ignition, just no keyless start or button-free unlocking/locking. You'd otherwise have to put the fob in to start and use the buttons to unlock the doors.
    Screen Shot 2015-06-28 at 11.13.39 AM.png
    3. Cool. What's a bike trailer?
    4. I think you have much higher priorities than buying new hub caps or doing modz. Just be thankful the ones currently haven't fallen off or been stolen.
    5. Good lumbar support also helps.
    6. I don't actually have fuzzy dice.
    7. You just insulted the most revered man in Jewish history. Bobbleheads are not tacky, Dwight Schrute has quite a collection of them.

I forgot, I also have this mod:
    [​IMG]

and these Floormats
    [​IMG]

And in the winter a roof rack to mount my ski rack. I'll have to find a picture of that setup.

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I'm thinking of starting "The Daewoo Thread" for all things Daewoo. That might make things more convenient.

6. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Don't give OP any ideas!

7. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

It could at least consolidate things to one contained and confined space.

8. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

FIXED!
    smartass.....

9. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

That's what DaewooTech Forums are for.

10. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

There's forums for Daewoo?

11. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I didn't realize FRAM filters were considered modding ;)

Those floormats are fantastic. The ones for the back are poorly made though. They don't use the clips, so they end up underneath the seats.

12. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Added a new rear wing to the T4R this weekend ... creates a good 1000lbs of downforce at ~175MPH.

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

In this thread, it doesn't matter if it's a replacement part, accessory, or stale McDonald's french fry under the seat, it's a MOD.

I suppose I should go take a picture of my EZPass and employer parking permit.

14. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Oh true.

Got one of these in the front. 2 AMPs EACH!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Woah that's crazy! I resort to using the USB port in the center console and a cigarette lighter charger for my girlfriends iPhone. What if I got the 2 ports in one...

Attached Files:

16. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Speaking of floor mats, we got Weather Tech for the T4R (right after we bought it), and they're pretty fantastic. They make them all make/model specific, have options for front/rear and cargo, they're plastic so easily cleaned/washed, and they have a lip around the outside, so they will actually hold liquids in the event of a spill, or rain, snow, etc. Highly recommended:

http://www.weathertech.com/

Is that too legit of a post? :D

17. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Mod would be something BOLTED to the car. IE Hardwired GPS, Stereo, Sub, Amp, Rims, etc...

18. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Or a USB Hub?

19. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

It is bolted to the car. The floor mats are bolted to the floor.

And the USB charger is "bolted" into the cigarette lighter.

20. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

the Daewoo Service manual says change the oil every 6000 miles or 36 months.

21. bunnspecial, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015

bunnspecial macrumors 604

bunnspecial

A lot depends on your driving conditions.

I was discussing this with my barber the other day, who lives about 1/4 mile from his shop and has a 1985 Dodge truck he drives to work every day. We were sitting there estimating that he drives about 20-25 miles a month(1/2 mile a day to and back from the shop, 5 days a week, plus an occasional trip to Lowes).

He changes his oil every 6 months because short trips KILL oil. If the engine doesn't have time to warm up or get a lot of oil circulation, you won't boil off contaminants(like gasoline) and won't see the full benefit of the detergents in the oil.

On the other hand, I'm perfectly content running 10K miles and 10-12 months on Mobil 1 because most of my miles are roughly 1 hour interstate trips. These are close to ideal conditions for oil, and I'm probably actually wasting money changing it that often.

When I was in college, I drove about 2 miles a day(1 mile there, 1 mile back) with probably a half dozen 20-30 minute interstate trips a month. I was a LOT more aggressive then with my change intervals.

22. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Like how your LED lights are bolted? Again, I think you need to reconsider the difference between modding and accessorizing. In my conceptions of the two words, I'd consider "modding" as being more along the lines as making functional/performance related changes to the car, where as "accessorizing" is just adding superfluous things, usually for the sake of appearance but not necessarily. Adding a turbo, upgrading the intake/exhaust = mod. Changing the gear shifter or adding pedal covers = accessorizing. Adding a ski rack or rubber floor mats = accessorizing. Adding a new head unit... I'd call that an upgrade.

I doubt my iDrive would like two USB devices at the same time though a single port (using a hub). From what I've read the newer models allow for a hub and iDrive asks you select which device you want, assuming you don't overload the power restrictions.

I'm not sure where you got that information, but it's the second time you've cited it. I would bet quite a bit of money there isn't an auto or oil manufacturer out there that recommends every 3 years. The official Daewoo Lanos Service Manual says every 10,000km (6,000 miles) or 10 months. Naturally, the Lanos User Manual cannot be found, but the next best thing, the Nubria, says every 6,000 miles or 6 months. Note these numbers are reduced based on driving method (short trips, dust, excessive idling). See attached pictures.

Lanos Service Manual
    Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 1.51.03 AM.png

Nubia Owners Manual
    Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 1.56.19 AM.png

23. sim667 macrumors 65816

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No way Daewoo recommends oil changes every 36 months. If you don't drive a lot and go by time instead of mileage, the rule of thumb is 1 month for every 1,000 miles. That's the rule the Lanos and Nubia schedules posted above use. That's also the rule my Subaru WRX uses. In fact, I think every car I've ever owned has used that rule of thumb.

25. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

This makes no sense. Can you provide the source?

It's not one or the other. You can't just pick the longer time and stick with it. Doesn't work like that.

On a more serious note, my car specs 10k miles/12 months and I get super paranoid if I don't get it done right on time. Is it just me?