Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Here's a bad pun stolen from Facebook

View attachment 943042

On another note, I met up with a friend today who recently bought a new car. He had a nearly immaculate 2012 Challenger he bought new, but had decided he wanted an upgrade and was seriously shopping for a new-ish(but probably used) Scat.

He ended up finding a 2016 SRT in the color he wanted(Plum Crazy) with 14K on it. It was in Pittsburg, so he and another friend took off to pick it up and drive back. It's a heck of a nice car-he let me drive it(supervised) :) , and it's pretty tame in "Street Mode" but wakes up quite a bit in "Sport Mode."

I did give him a bit of a hard time for the fact that it's missing a pedal :) . He said he WANTED one, but from a practical standpoint his wife needs to drive it some(if he needs her SUV or they have to trade for whatever reason) and even though she can drive a manual she really, really dislikes it. It doesn't hurt too that the auto is faster and gets better gas mileage.

Overall, though, I fully endorsed his new addition :)
My wife’s been on my car insurance (as well as having her own) for more than a decade. But she’s never driven my car. She says my VW Golf is too big! I dread to think what she’s make of what you guys do!

But both our cars have the right number of pedals!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
@SandboxGeneral

This was in my ‘live feed‘ for YT, a quick 30 sec. walk around of the Bronco in ‘cactus gray’ with a white top. Pure bad-assery😁. (Love the old-school ‘horseback‘ Chrome emblem on the rear back hatch.)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
@SandboxGeneral

This was in my ‘live feed‘ for YT, a quick 30 sec. walk around of the Bronco in ‘cactus gray’ with a white top. Pure bad-assery?. (Love the old-school ‘horseback‘ Chrome emblem on the rear back hatch.)

That's a sharp truck and a video I hadn't seen yet!

Initially I wanted Race Red for my color, however, the Cyber Orange is growing on me. Though some photos/videos I've seen make it appear less vibrant than others. If it truly is less vibrant and more pale-ish, then I won't want that color and will go with Race Red.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
New video released overnight. More testing down the Rubicon Trail. (12 minute video)

Looks like Ford is doing all they can to beat the hell out of these new trucks and see what they're made of and find any weaknesses to address.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
ORANGE FURY

... or as the little G says, Orange Furry :D

Yeah, we'll wind up with an EV in the near future, possibly even this next lease trade-in.
Hah!

I have nothing against EVs if done right like the Taycan or Audi's planned models, unlike the brand of a certain attention magnet. I know I'll miss the sound and smell of petrol.

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
The bronco is enticing. Although I question the decision to offer manual in only the smaller engine? Wonder why that is?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hah!

I have nothing against EVs if done right like the Taycan or Audi's planned models, unlike the brand of a certain attention magnet. I know I'll miss the sound and smell of petrol.
Once we are all electric what an earth are the likes of @bunnspecial going to do? No engine rebuilds.
One of the things that I dislike about hybrids is you have two things to break down and repair.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Many people are wondering the same thing. Perhaps Ford will change that before orders open up in December.

Bell housing fitment with the 2.7 (that's the same as the other Ford V6s, where a transfer case might be used), plus, some concern over the 400 lb/ft TQ + manual gearing + turning 35s (vs. the 2.7 output with the incredibly capable A10), so it'a a CYA design decision I suspect too.

I'd say it's 99.999% likely this won't happen (regardless of positions, etc., it's a decision based on cost, R&D, EOS, warranty)

The 2.3L is a cool little engine, heck, it's a tune/DP away from a good 350+ HP (warranty be damed!) :D

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Once we are all electric what an earth are the likes of @bunnspecial going to do? No engine rebuilds.
One of the things that I dislike about hybrids is you have two things to break down and repair.

Remember, I'm a chemist-I'll make my own gas :)

I don't see IC engines going away COMPLETELY in my lifetime(although I could be wrong)-I suspect industrial/heavy machinery/etc will keep them around for a while. Heck, there's still a lot of steam in service in marine applications(although AFAIK not reciprocating engines outside historical applications) and new nuclear subs and the like are steam that uses a nuclear reactor for heat rather than an oil or coal fired boiler.

In any case, I suspect the ability to machine parts will be around for a while, and there's a fair bit of old stock still on a lot of this stuff.

As you say in around about way-specifically about hybrids but it also applies to modern full-IC vehicles-if an electronic module dies you can be dead in the water if you can't find a replacement, or at least it might be prohibitively expensive. Several years ago, my dad had a pickup truck(mid-sized Nissan, whatever model it was) eat two ECMs, fortunately under warranty. The first happened when I went out to drive it one morning and it would crank beautifully but not fire. I tinkered with it and got it to cough once on ether, but I dug a bit more and was only getting an occasional spark and there was absolutely no pressure in the EFI rails. It got towed to the dealer, who ended up having to send it to another dealer, and finally got an ECM. Two weeks later, that one died, and the same adventure ensued(I think they found a different module that was misbehaving and causing the ECM failure, but don't remember the specifics). All said and done, that was about $6K of warranty work, and he traded it in a month after all that was done.

The older a car is, though, the easier it tends to be to keep going. My mechanic fought for a while getting timely work done on flatheads at machine shops, so he finally bought a mill to at least skim them in-house. He doesn't have the ability, or the time really to learn, how to do a proper valve job on OHV engines, but flatheads are probably 50% of his old car work. He still has to send blocks out for boring, but can at least skim and do valves on flatheads. He pours his own babbit bearings too, which covers most turn of the century up to probably 1940s stuff. Of course, he won't be around forever, and there's still stuff that's beyond him. He has a big 1930s IHC flatbed truck sitting behind his shop, and he may never get it running again since pistons for its big I-6(I'd guess probably 6-7L from looking at the block) are unavailable even though it's otherwise prepped and ready to go.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Remember, I'm a chemist-I'll make my own gas :)

I don't see IC engines going away COMPLETELY in my lifetime(although I could be wrong)-I suspect industrial/heavy machinery/etc will keep them around for a while. Heck, there's still a lot of steam in service in marine applications(although AFAIK not reciprocating engines outside historical applications) and new nuclear subs and the like are steam that uses a nuclear reactor for heat rather than an oil or coal fired boiler.

In any case, I suspect the ability to machine parts will be around for a while, and there's a fair bit of old stock still on a lot of this stuff.

As you say in around about way-specifically about hybrids but it also applies to modern full-IC vehicles-if an electronic module dies you can be dead in the water if you can't find a replacement, or at least it might be prohibitively expensive. Several years ago, my dad had a pickup truck(mid-sized Nissan, whatever model it was) eat two ECMs, fortunately under warranty. The first happened when I went out to drive it one morning and it would crank beautifully but not fire. I tinkered with it and got it to cough once on ether, but I dug a bit more and was only getting an occasional spark and there was absolutely no pressure in the EFI rails. It got towed to the dealer, who ended up having to send it to another dealer, and finally got an ECM. Two weeks later, that one died, and the same adventure ensued(I think they found a different module that was misbehaving and causing the ECM failure, but don't remember the specifics). All said and done, that was about $6K of warranty work, and he traded it in a month after all that was done.

The older a car is, though, the easier it tends to be to keep going. My mechanic fought for a while getting timely work done on flatheads at machine shops, so he finally bought a mill to at least skim them in-house. He doesn't have the ability, or the time really to learn, how to do a proper valve job on OHV engines, but flatheads are probably 50% of his old car work. He still has to send blocks out for boring, but can at least skim and do valves on flatheads. He pours his own babbit bearings too, which covers most turn of the century up to probably 1940s stuff. Of course, he won't be around forever, and there's still stuff that's beyond him. He has a big 1930s IHC flatbed truck sitting behind his shop, and he may never get it running again since pistons for its big I-6(I'd guess probably 6-7L from looking at the block) are unavailable even though it's otherwise prepped and ready to go.
I’m sure in my lifetime as well.
I seem to recall you can’t tow a full electric vehicle. Not sure about hybrids.
But dead batteries will also cost the earth to replace. And that’s in both sense of the word.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I’m sure in my lifetime as well.
I seem to recall you can’t tow a full electric vehicle. Not sure about hybrids.
But dead batteries will also cost the earth to replace. And that’s in both sense of the word.

Good point about batteries.

With that said, lead acids more than likely aren't going anywhere in the foreseeable future. They weigh a lot, which makes them very impractical as the power source for an EV, but it's hard to beat the energy density of one. They do have a finite life, but the older tar-top(which are in every other way inferior to modern designs) can have a really long life if you keep the acid topped up. Keep the charge topped up also(but not overcharged) to avoid sulfating, and they really will last a long time. Of course, the spec 2x 6V tar-tops for my MG(which I can still get) put out ~300 CCA on a good day, while even the cheap single 12V series 26s I buy from Wal-Mart are ~525 CCA or so.

Even hybrids still have a lead-acid at least for cold starts(not sure if hot starts pull off the Li-ion or not).

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Another video and this time of the Bronco Sport which is unibody and built on the Ford Escape platform.

Since I became interested, seriously interested, in the new Bronco I've been reading and watching a lot of 4X4, overland videos and articles and learning a lot about the sport/hobby.

One thing I learned is airing down your tires for better off road traction and comfort. Tires without bead-lockers, it seems, can be aired down to no less than 12 to 15 PSI for an enhanced and elongated footprint. If you have bead-lockers some people will go down below 10 PSI for even more extreme traction, especially for rock climbing.

This is one thing I'm noticing on these Bronco videos being released every couple of days now. From what I can see no one has aired down the tires on any of the Bronco's or the Jeeps.

It is rather clear in the above video that the Jeep was running on fully inflated tires which is why the driver had such a hard time getting up that slope. It could also be that the Bronco's technology helped them overcome the fully inflated tires negative effects to get over the slope.

I can't imagine that the people out there testing the vehicles don't know about airing down the tires and that perhaps they chose to leave them all fully inflated as part of the testing process.

Even though I am an inexperienced newbie in this area I can see how others will rip on the Jeep and praise the Bronco Sport in this video which in my opinion isn't fair. The Jeep should have easily walked up that slope on the first run if the tires were properly aired down.

Plus we don't know if the driver was an experienced off roader or not. It could have been someone from Dearborn who is used to city driving in all those Bronco's and Jeeps out West.

Too many variables at play and over-inflated tires contribute to what we're seeing in the video. Regardless, the Bronco looks like it is performing quite well even with the wrong air pressure in the tires.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Another video and this time of the Bronco Sport which is unibody and built on the Ford Escape platform.

Since I became interested, seriously interested, in the new Bronco I've been reading and watching a lot of 4X4, overland videos and articles and learning a lot about the sport/hobby.

One thing I learned is airing down your tires for better off road traction and comfort. Tires without bead-lockers, it seems, can be aired down to no less than 12 to 15 PSI for an enhanced and elongated footprint. If you have bead-lockers some people will go down below 10 PSI for even more extreme traction, especially for rock climbing.

This is one thing I'm noticing on these Bronco videos being released every couple of days now. From what I can see no one has aired down the tires on any of the Bronco's or the Jeeps.

It is rather clear in the above video that the Jeep was running on fully inflated tires which is why the driver had such a hard time getting up that slope. It could also be that the Bronco's technology helped them overcome the fully inflated tires negative effects to get over the slope.

I can't imagine that the people out there testing the vehicles don't know about airing down the tires and that perhaps they chose to leave them all fully inflated as part of the testing process.

Even though I am an inexperienced newbie in this area I can see how others will rip on the Jeep and praise the Bronco Sport in this video which in my opinion isn't fair. The Jeep should have easily walked up that slope on the first run if the tires were properly aired down.

Plus we don't know if the driver was an experienced off roader or not. It could have been someone from Dearborn who is used to city driving in all those Bronco's and Jeeps out West.

Too many variables at play and over-inflated tires contribute to what we're seeing in the video. Regardless, the Bronco looks like it is performing quite well even with the wrong air pressure in the tires.

I watched the video. It seems to me it was two different methods of operation here. The Bronco made the slope with little effort and the Jeep Obviously struggled. Part of that I think, if you notice how the Bronco was ascending on the incline (more
Towards the middle of the incline) , It didn’t waste any time increasing the throttle when halfway up the slope. The Jeep however, never used that same strategy and just continue to inch long slowly up the incline. At one point, the Jeep accelerated to slowly and then applied heavy acceleration. (I didn’t look it up, but the weight differential between the Jeep/Bronco would be interesting to know.)

But I agree, the Jeep should mount that slope with no problem. I agree with the comments on that video that the air pressure could’ve been a significant factor and I’m sure this might be partially ‘staged’ as well, but an interesting video nonetheless.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I watched the video. It seems to me it was two different methods of operation here. The Bronco made the slope with little effort and the Jeep Obviously struggled. Part of that I think, if you notice how the Bronco was ascending on the incline (more
Towards the middle of the incline) , It didn’t waste any time increasing the throttle when halfway up the slope. The Jeep however, never used that same strategy and just continue to inch long slowly up the incline. At one point, the Jeep accelerated to slowly and then applied heavy acceleration. (I didn’t look it up, but the weight differential between the Jeep/Bronco would be interesting to know.)

But I agree, the Jeep should mount that slope with no problem. I agree with the comments on that video that the air pressure could’ve been a significant factor and I’m sure this might be partially ‘staged’ as well, but an interesting video nonetheless.
Yep. Both drivers took slightly different lines to climb the slope, which can make all the difference too.

After I watched that video I scrolled down to see some of the YouTube comments, which I usually never do. I was happy to see that most people saw it for what it was and didn't rip on the Jeep for struggling.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Likely staged, but allowing for full air in the tires to spec shows off the actual car's ability to handle terrain. Goes in line with how some people think all cars are just a tool to get from A to B, but every car has their own intricate way of driving, handling terrain, etc.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
One set of videos I'd like to see, since they're releasing all these testing videos every few days, is video of the undercarriages of all these test Broncos. I think it would be interesting to see the damage, or scraps and dents they sustained and how they held up underneath.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
One set of videos I'd like to see, since they're releasing all these testing videos every few days, is video of the undercarriages of all these test Broncos. I think it would be interesting to see the damage, or scraps and dents they sustained and how they held up underneath.

Do you ever watch Jay Leno‘s garage on YouTube? He hasn’t had the Bronco demo yet Obviously, but usually what’s interesting with his channel, is he’s accompanied by somebody that’s an engineer or from the ‘special design team’ for a specific vehicle like this. I imagine once the Bronco is actually released or about to pre-release, he will have someone from Ford that will discuss the vehicle in detail about its build process and of course they test drive it. What I like about his channel, there’s no guessing about the vehicle, when they actually bring a legit source direct from the company to discuss the vehicle.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Passed on the E85 tune. I said it before I’m not afraid to admit what I do/don’t understand, I’m not very versed in tuning, I’m fortunate there are gear-heads that are well above my pay grade in terms of understanding the cautions moving forward with A car this heavily modified. It’s the calculated risk this car was previously tuned from the last owner and having to revert away from the 93 octane tune, poses some other complications that aren’t worth risking that would require additional diagnostics. On top of that, 520+ hp is more than enough. In the end, I wouldn’t want to chance any possible mechanical issues Long-term, especially since this Cobra will be a collectors item at one point.

The other bummer, there was actually a Ford mustang car meet/show that was to be scheduled, and canceled due to C/19. Totally understandable, but I gather the safety measures even outdoors isn’t that safe.

Pics soon....

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
@Relentless Power Good call on passing up the tune. That amount of power is probably sufficient to blow the doors off of most cars on the road. The extra tune would probably be better if you intended on going to the track with it, eh?

Plus, if it were me, I wouldn't want to have to go to the airport every time I needed to fuel up the car.

Do you have an idea of how much torque the engine outputs as it is?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.