The Case Against Blackbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by honeycrisp, Feb 1, 2008.

1. honeycrisp macrumors regular

Ok, so I was checking out the online store and noticed something today.

I could purchase a white MacBook with the exact same specs as the BlackBook for $1,374. The BlackBook would be $1,499.00.

So I'm wondering why anyone would even consider the BlackBook. Perhaps this has been discussed before, but just wondering what people's thoughts are...

2. CAPPi17 macrumors newbie

its black...

3. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

4. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I use mine for work and thought the black would be visually appropriate in a work place. The specs were not the deciding factor in my case.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's been discussed a few times. The one and only reason that the Blackbook is more expensive is its color. Enough people are willing to pay more for a black Macbook that it justifies Apple selling it at a higher price.

The economic term for this is (ironically) price discrimination. There's a New York Times article about it here that even mentions the MacBook as a case in point.

6. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I wanted it because it looks way better than the white MacBook. I also tend to like black things more than white ones.

7. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

You know what they say... once you go black...

8. honeycrisp thread starter macrumors regular

I guess what I'm saying is that it makes sense to offer it in black, but shouldn't they up the specs on the Blackbook, otherwise what's the point of it being more expensive?

9. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I think the black MacBook is made of a different material than the white one.

10. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

It's hard to explain just why I was attracted to the BlackBook. It instantly caught my eye. I deliberated for just a few seconds before deciding that the difference in price was still worth it to me.

I think what it boils down to is if someone likes the computer, they'll buy it. Some go by price, some by looks, some go with a combination of the two.

11. stevegmu macrumors regular

12. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

Yes in hard drive space. In the white MacBook it is only a $75 upgrade from 120 to 160GBs.

13. Jumble macrumors newbie

I dont give a stuff what colour the case is. So if Apple were to sell a grey plastic case version for $100 less than the white one, which only seems fair, I'd buy it...

14. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

Yes it does.

However, when ordering the mid-range model you can chose to have Apple upgrade the hard drive to the 160GB model for $75 (for a difference of $125 over the price of the BB, which is what some like to call the "BlackBook tax").

15. jmchen3 macrumors member

the past black macbook were more bang for the buck then the current one.
    the past the black ones had more ram cpu power and hd space.
    but now it just has a bigger hd.
    that was one of the reason i got the black one back then with
    2 ghz c2d 1 gb ramn and 120 hd

16. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

you could also purchase a macBook with the same specs as a mac Book pro (base model) for like $550 cheaper. though you will have a lesser quality graphics card and a smaller monitor.

17. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

The only bad thing about the MacBook (Black) is Apple insist on giving you white accessories (power brick, remote control etc.).

I think the eccentricity of paying more for a colour appeals to some.

Oh, that and Jay Z has one.

18. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

As far as I know there has never been any difference between the midrange MacBook and the BlackBook except color and a larger hard drive. Maybe you were comparing yours to the low-end MacBook when you bought it.

19. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

When I bought mine (day after Christmas, 2006), the black model came with a larger hard drive, and I didn't have the patience to order one once I decided I had to have one. I kinda wish I got the white one honestly; looks more Mac-like I suppose. Most co-workers that see my MacBook on my desk don't realize it's a Mac until I point it out while they're asking me what kind of computer they should buy.

20. Lord Sam macrumors regular

Lord Sam

It's the attractive color. Lots of people have been complaining about the "Black Tax", but in some cases, the consumer cares more about the style and sleek design than the price tag.

21. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

They don't notice the lit-up apple on the lid? I'd think it'd be kinda hard to miss :p

Edit: NM. I was assuming that you were working in an open area where people could see the lid when it was open (like the seating arrangement where I work).

22. Antimatter macrumors regular

I didn't even consider the white MacBook when I was shopping for mine. The white is just ugly in my opinion. It gets all stained and yellowish after use. The black just looks sexy. And it's Black, and Black is the new Black. So there you have it.

23. arklab macrumors member

Well, my mother (who is in her 80's) initially thought the white macbook looked better, but switched to the black model.

Her reason?
    She could see the white letters on the black keys much better than the grey letters on white keys!

Hey, she's right!

P.S. This is the first computer she has ever owned or used.

My father however (now passed) purchased a putty color Apple ][ + with the original VisaCalc.
    Both computer and software still work just fine, thank you.
    No service packs needed.

24. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

My white MacBook was prone to discolouration. I'd never ever buy a white notebook again and I think the black one looks miles better. For one, you don't notice the iSight and the IR and I like the idea of a black rim around the display more than white.

25. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

you pay a premium for the color. thats just life. I like my black, of course its dirty but i don't get any discoloration or wearing from my palms.