The Dark Tower movie

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Number-Six, May 3, 2017.

1. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

Official trailer has been released for The Dark Tower

Thoughts?

Mine are: I think some people are going to say that it does not follow the books, but that might not be a bad thing considering that movies based on Stephen King books are more often miss than hits

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I have never read the books, so I do not have any preconceived idea on what the characters or planets should look like, however this trailer does look interesting!

3. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

It will be nothing like the books. How could it be. And why oh why would anyone waste the talents of Idris Elba by making him work with Matthew McCan'tAct! That alone ruins it.

I may watch when it comes to HBO.

4. Number-Six thread starter macrumors 6502

Number-Six

I loved the books, I've read the first 7 multiple times (except the 4th one, i usually skip everything in Mejis). I do not thing it's necessarily a bad thing for the movie to be different. I'm not saying I'm sure it will be a good movie, but I'm liking what I see and am looking forward to it.

As far as Matthew McConaughey, I haven't seen many of his movies but based on that trailer he looks like he really nailed the man in black - of course they could be showing the only good parts, but I'm staying open minded :)

5. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I'd say McConaughey has had some pretty solid performance, just off the top of my head:

Mud
    The Lincoln Lawyer
    Killer Joe
    Dallas Buyers Club

... and he *killed* it in Season 1 of True Detective. Plus, his appearances - even if really just a cameo - in films like The Wolf of Wall Street were terrific.

6. SoggyCheese macrumors regular

SoggyCheese

Maybe UK, Maybe Spain, maybe even elsewhere
    I only read the first couple of the books, but I'm a big Idris Elba fan so it will be worth seeing just for him IMO.

7. vrBrew Suspended

vrBrew

Never read the books but will watch the movie.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

You are so mean. :p What movie offended? I thought Dallas Buyers Club was a good job, worthy of an award and I liked him in Interstellar and Contact, although he does seem to play similiar type personalities. :)

9. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

Haven't read the books but I heard a lot of people are pissed off about the change in character, to suit the PC crowd. I'd be pretty pissed off too, if I were a big fan of the book.

10. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

How'd they change the character? Are you taking about them casting a black actor?

11. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

Like I said, I know nothing of the book, just saw a youtube video. But yes, that is the more minor change. The biggest change, that the youtuber expressed, were other features, such as blue eyes that were seemingly a big part of the character.

If they gave the black guy blue eyes, because, according to the youtuber, were such an integral part of the character, I wouldn't really have a huge problem.

Personally, I'm going to watch the movie, though not in theaters. So I really don't care cause I haven't read the book. So to me, it's just a movie, and I like both actors. But I do hate when I read a book, or like a certain comic book character and the actor to play them are different, so I sympathize with the guy who made the video, and those who've also been upset about.

For instance, I have zero issues with a black gay super hero. But spider man was neither black, or gay, so when I heard they were trying to make a black/hispanic, gay spiderman, I thought it was pretty pathetic. I also don't care for spiderman, so I wasn't watching it either way. It's the whiney changing of iconic character that pisses me off. Make NEW ones in the way they want.

In The Walking Dead, jesus is gay. No problem. In fact if some conservative group bitched enough to bully the characters in to making him strait, I'd be pissed off.

I liked a classic game called Teken. Well animal rights activists bitched enough to have them take out the fighting kangaroo. THAT pisses me off a lot. I'm not much of a gamer, but I love Zelda. Make Link a woman, because of all of the feminists complaining, and I will pretty much give up on games/movies/etc.

I'd bet my left AND right nut, that if they made a Mike Tyson documentary and cast a white guy, the black community would go NUTS.

Just keep fictional characters how they are in the novels and games, and make new ones. It's that simple. Find a story about your preferred character, and make the movie. OR make the story and then make the movie. The fact that everyone is trying to highjack cultural fiction icons, and make them a type of character that they deem "fair", or "justified" or whatever, only shows me that they don't give a damn about the story, OR the character. It's all spiteful BS for ego and revenge.

12. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

In both those movies he was completely one-dimensional. He plays similar characters because he isn't really playing them. That's just who he is. His acting is limited.

Dayum! How'd I miss that?

You're right about the blue eyes. I hadn't thought about that because I was thinking about how it cuts out almost a full book of Odetta calling him honky. King wrote race into the books, and now the movie is removing it by casting a black lead? Weird.

13. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

Yep. It's the new era of social justice warriors out to make movies, games, and everything else, exactly what THEY want. It's rampant in the gaming industry. It was so bad, there was actually a "gamer gate" scandal.

OH, they made "the ancient one", in "doctor strange" a woman. I actually like that actress, but still.

Either way. I hate character deviation so bad that I'm pissed off that Channing Tatum is paying Gambit. Channing is too stalky. Gambit is a tall, and lean muscled guy. Channing has too wide of a face and his limbs aren't long enough. If only Josh Hartnett would bulk up and put his name in. Plus Channing is a terrrrrrrible actor. Gambit is going to be corny.

14. Number-Six thread starter macrumors 6502

Number-Six

The eyes thing may have bothered my if I had freshly read the books, but I completely forgot about it and it didn't bother me while watching the trailer.

The thing is, if I remember correctly, King based the character off of the Clint Eastwood cowboy portrayals in the 60s and 70s so there never was going to be someone perfect for the role

The race thing can easily be shifted to Odetta and Eddie and may actually be more impactful that way, in my opinion.

15. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Depending on how much they've changed those characters.

16. SoggyCheese macrumors regular

SoggyCheese

In the Marvel universe there is a concept of parallel dimensions, where the characters can be whatever the artists wants to depict them as. There have been many versions of Spider-Man over the decades. It's not "social justice warriors", it's artists adding a new angle to the story to see where it goes. As such, Marvel (or Sony in Spider-Man's case) can and maybe should take that concept into their film business. There's only so many times you can tell the same superhero story. Reinvention of the core characters can reinvigorate the franchise.

I also don't think you'll be disappointed with Idris Elba being in The Dark Tower. He's a fantastic actor IMO. He will make that role his own.

17. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

These are long, long books. And there's a lot of them. There is no way a single movie can do the story any justice--they are going to have to cut out 95% of the content. They will turn it from a huge and epic story into a flashy movie.

I think I would have preferred a high-quality television series where they could have put more hours to it. Like an HBO series, produced by whoever did Carnivale.

Of course it might be an enjoyable movie nonetheless. For example I enjoyed "Starship Troopers" even though it bears almost no relation to the book. I just think of them as separate entities with the same title.

Also, Mr Elba is awesome. One of my favorites actually. Yes that means that Odetta's racist attitude toward him won't work, but like I said they are going to have to cut out 95% of the story anyway.

18. Number-Six thread starter macrumors 6502

Number-Six

They are in fact working on a TV series also if all goes well

19. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I read the books (and still dig the first one), but I am okay with this being what it will be. It's an epic series covering a lot of ground/characters/etc. And Idris feels like Roland to me, so that's more than enough.

20. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I just finished the first book, so I am guessing this movie will cover or span more than just the first book? After reading the first book, and watching the trailer, I didn't see a whole heck of a lot in the trailer that I read in the book. Very little in fact, hence my question.

For those who have seen it and read the books is this the case? Or did hollywood go their own route with these characters?

21. SoggyCheese macrumors regular

SoggyCheese

The film isn't based on the first book in the Dark Tower series. It's based on seventh book, the one actually named The Dark Tower.

22. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Wowzers, so they skipped almost all of the books. Interesting. I wonder if they are going to leave those books for the TV series others mentioned in this thread.

23. SoggyCheese macrumors regular

SoggyCheese

That is the plan. However, the film hasn't been doing quite as well at the Box Office as hoped. The TV show might change as a result.

24. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

From what I've heard sofar Roland gonna be an allmost 100% hero in the movie, and that what I would find unacceptable.

25. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator