Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Official trailer has been released for The Dark Tower

Thoughts?

Mine are: I think some people are going to say that it does not follow the books, but that might not be a bad thing considering that movies based on Stephen King books are more often miss than hits

I'd classify the movie based on the trailer as a solid maybe. :) As far as the book, never read them. Has Steven King said anything pro or con about the movie?

Regarding your comment, the most famous example of King book versus movie is The Shining. Although the movie was brilliant, the book was better, where significant changes were made to the detriment of the story in my opinion. King was unhappy with the original movie, and pushed for a made for TV movie, that was closer to the book, but lacked the impact of the original movie.

Another movie from a King story, which I liked, was The Mist, starring Thomas Jane which had a killer ending, more definititive than the books ending.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I'd classify the movie based on the trailer as a solid maybe. :) As far as the book, never read them. Has Steven King said anything pro or con about the movie?

Regarding your comment, the most famous example of King book versus movie is The Shining. Although the movie was brilliant, the book was better, where significant changes were made to the detriment of the story in my opinion. King was unhappy with the original movie, and pushed for a made for TV movie, that was closer to the book, but lacked the impact of the original movie.

Another movie from a King story, which I liked, was The Mist, starring Thomas Jane which had a killer ending, more definititive than the books ending.

I loved the Mist and one of the reasons I liked it so much was the ending. It wasn't a happy ending for our main characters! I haven't read the book yet, however it is in the que on my Kindle!

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I loved the Mist and one of the reasons I liked it so much was the ending. It wasn't a happy ending for our main characters! I haven't read the book yet, however it is in the que on my Kindle!
The book is excellent. If I remember correctly it was a novella for included with a collection of stories.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.