Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
We're also getting new theme music and title sequence (all new, not just a new "skin")...

Ohh err... how could I spoiler that on this site?

The new console is quite appealing to me... now if they could just use round roundels on the walls...

Last edited:

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
First thoughts, pretty good i enjoyed that more than Moffat's first two xmas specials. Final act was a bit messy though. Little bonus for me was that some of the scenes were filmed in a victorian house just round the corner from where i live. Couldn't see anything at the time unfortunately, also it was a night shoot.
but is cool knowing that Richard E Grant was there.

The whole who is Clara / Oswin thing sets up a nice mystery for the second half of the series. She's already one of the more interesting companions we've had recently. Looking forward to more in April.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
First thoughts, pretty good i enjoyed that more than Moffat's first two xmas specials. Final act was a bit messy though. Little bonus for me was that some of the scenes were filmed in a victorian house just round the corner from where i live. Couldn't see anything at the time unfortunately, also it was a night shoot.
but is cool knowing that Richard E Grant was there.

The whole who is Clara / Oswin thing sets up a nice mystery for the second half of the series. She's already one of the more interesting companions we've had recently. Looking forward to more in April.

My observation was that Clara seems to react to the Doctor in the same way that River Song does.

Their relationship has a definite romantic tone.

;)

just sayin'

phas3

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2008
I want to try watching Doctor Who, however I was wondering if I need to start from Season 1.? I can't seem to find Season 1 in HD lol

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I want to try watching Doctor Who, however I was wondering if I need to start from Season 1.? I can't seem to find Season 1 in HD lol

In a nutshell, what the others were hinting at, is that Doctor Who has been around a long time (50 years nearly, 33 on air), and thus it's a bit more complicated than that.

1963 - 89
• 158 stories ranging from (mostly) 1 to 12 half hour (25min) episodes
• First 50 stories are b&w; 10 of which are entirely missing, and 17 partially missing from the archives
• 7 actors played the Doctor during this original run

• First attempted revival
• 90 minute telemovie produced by BBC/Universal/Fox
• 7th Doctor reprised his role, then passed on to the 8th

2005 - Present
• 74 episodes to date (at least 9 more confirmed), mostly stand alone 45 min duration
• First 3 seasons recorded in SD; first HD episode "Planet of the Dead" in 2009
• 3 new Doctors to date

Now plenty of people just ignore the old episodes and go straight to the "NuWho" series, that began in 2005 with the episode "Rose", starring Christopher Eccelston as the Doctor. (Indeed, if you can't handle say, the original 60's Star Trek, don't worry about the original series of Doctor Who; great as it is, I wont even bother trying to push it on you.)

Yes, Doctor Who (2005) didn't go HD until 2009, so the first 4 years are not HD. Suck it up, princess, HD isn't everything. ;)

You could start with Rose, as it was indeed intended to grab newcomers, and give you a basic grounding... Probably the next best option would be "Smith and Jones" (S3E01), which marks the 2nd year for the 10th Doctor - David Tennant. After that... S5E01 The Eleventh Hour - new Doctor again, with Matt Smith, and arguably very popular with the young'uns... (Not sure how old you are, sorry)

If you've not seen any WHO before, and you want to know if it's really any good, I'd recommend "Girl in the Fireplace" (S2E04), or "Vincent and the Doctor" (S5E10), as probably 2 of the best of the new series. (Or a 2 parter - The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances from S01, though it's not intended as an introductory episode.)

(In case you don't know... "the Doctor" is an alien, who has the ability to "regenerate" when his body suffers a normally mortal wound, thus allowing the show to continue after the original actor was forced to retire due to illness. There have now been 11 Doctors, between the original and new series. Unlike say, the two actors who played Darrin in Bewitched, who are similar in appearance, and portray the character near identically, the Doctor's personality and appearance changes with each regeneration, but he retains the same basic ideals and morals...)

If you like it what you see, go ahead and watch from Rose right through... And if you can handle pre-GenX attention spans... To get in an episode from each Doctor, track down:

• An Unearthly Child (1963; the very first story - at least watch the first episode, even I'll admit it gets a bit slow after that, but the first 1/2 hr is television history)
• The Mind Robber (1969; the most surreal the series ever went)
• The Time Warrior (1975; all-time classic and great intro to old Who)
• Genesis of the Daleks (1976; origins of the series' biggest bad - The Daleks)
• Earthshock (1982; Before Borg, Cybermen were threatening the resistance is futile)
• Vengeance on Varos (1985; Forgive him his attire)
• Curse of Fenric (1989; trying to be more adult, but it's still really a kid's show)
• "The Movie" (1996; biggest budget the show ever had, with a great choice for Doctor, just not the best plot)

Last edited:

phas3

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2008
In a nutshell, what the others were hinting at, is that Doctor Who has been around a long time (50 years nearly, 33 on air), and thus it's a bit more complicated than that.

1963 - 89
• First 50 stories are b&w; 10 of which are entirely missing, and 17 partially missing from the archives

2005 - Present
• 74 episodes to date (at least 9 more confirmed), mostly stand alone 45 min duration
• 3 new Doctors to date

Now plenty of people just ignore the old episodes and go straight to the "NuWho" series, that began in 2005 with the episode "Rose", starring Christopher Eccelston as the Doctor. (Indeed, if you can't handle say, the original 60's Star Trek, don't worry about the original series of Doctor Who; great as it is, I wont even bother trying to push it on you.)

Yes, Doctor Who (2005) didn't go HD until 2009, so the first 4 years are not HD. Suck it up, princess, HD isn't everything. ;)

You could start with Rose, as it was indeed intended to grab newcomers, and give you a basic grounding... Probably the next best option would be "Smith and Jones" (S3E01), which marks the 2nd year for the 10th Doctor - David Tennant. After that... S5E01 The Eleventh Hour - new Doctor again, with Matt Smith, and arguably very popular with the young'uns... (Not sure how old you are, sorry)

If you've not seen any WHO before, and you want to know if it's really any good, I'd recommend "Girl in the Fireplace" (S2E04), or "Vincent and the Doctor" (S5E10), as probably 2 of the best of the new series. (Or a 2 parter - The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances from S01, though it's not intended as an introductory episode.)

(In case you don't know... "the Doctor" is an alien, who has the ability to "regenerate" when his body suffers a normally mortal wound, thus allowing the show to continue after the original actor was forced to retire due to illness. There have now been 11 Doctors, between the original and new series. Unlike say, the two actors who played Darrin in Bewitched, who are similar in appearance, and portray the character near identically, the Doctor's personality and appearance changes with each regeneration, but he retains the same basic ideals and morals...)

If you like it what you see, go ahead and watch from Rose right through... And if you can handle pre-GenX attention spans... To get in an episode from each Doctor, track down:

• An Unearthly Child (1963; the very first story - at least watch the first episode, even I'll admit it gets a bit slow after that, but the first 1/2 hr is television history)
• Earthshock (1982; Before Borg, Cybermen were threatening the resistance is futile)
• Curse of Fenric (1989; trying to be more adult, but it's still really a kid's show)
• "The Movie" (1996; biggest budget the show ever had, with a great choice for Doctor, just not the best plot)

I would like to thank you for this great explanation. I will start watching it with your recommendations.

007bond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
DFW, Texas

1963 - 89

2005 - Present
• 3 new Doctors to date

I use "Vincent and the Doctor" (S5E10) as a gateway drug for friends wanting (or not wanting) to get into Who. Best Matt Smith episode by far.

Anyway, carry on, I'm just rambling because I can't sleep and it's 4:00 AM here. I think I'll watch some Who...

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
New pictures from season 7B http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/galleries/p015xzmf

first picture of the ice warriors.
dws7promo4_large.png

Can't say i have much of memory of them from the original series,

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
New pictures from season 7B http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/galleries/p015xzmf

first picture of the ice warriors.

Can't say i have much of memory of them from the original series,

*splutter*

The Ice Warriors, The Seeds of Death, The Curse of Peladon, The Monster of Peladon. They were in 4 stories, with the 2nd and 3rd Doctors.

ice4.jpg

St--3m12.jpg

At this point, I'm much more hopeful than I was when they remade the Silurians...

Wenley_and_Wales.jpg

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I hope you all saw the ending.

I cried.

More information?

The story was a bit... empty for me, though it did wrap up fairly well. I feared they wouldn't actually reveal who "the client" was, so thus was THRILLED when it was unveiled to be the re-return of the Great Intelligence! :)

It got me hoping that we will get to see an excerpt at some point this season from The Abominable Snowmen or Web of Fear... I'd love if the finale leads into the start of Web...

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Fantastic start to the second half of the series. Hoping to see the mystery thicken. I also hope they don't just ditch the River Song plot now because they've reviled the whole mystery of who she is. I'm sure there can be plenty more unrelated adventures with her to finesse the idea that they continue meeting throughout their lives in the wrong order.

Anyway, roll on next week's episode. :D

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
mmm cant say i was very impressed with the opening episode.
few nice moments but it reminded me of one of those RTD episodes where he could be bothered to come up with a decent baddie.

A friend of mine does extras work and was one of the unconscious people on the plane. Think he had spend quite a few hours in a seat while Matt Smith and Jenna Louise Coleman ran past him.

Nice way to make a few quid :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.