Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
david-tennant-matt-smith.jpg

:)

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Love this. From the upcoming Anniversary special? :cool:

It was taken at the read-thru of the script for the special.

Kind of interestingly... There's another pic as well, showing the 10 and 11, plus Clara and a blond chick - but not Billie Piper...

Billie was confirmed to be in the anniversary when Tennant was confirmed on the weekend... So... Why wasn't she in the photo...

(Maybe she was in the loo, who knows, but could be taken to mean she wasn't at the read-thru, and, maybe her role is in fact very minor... One can hope!)

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
Also the Zygons are in the 50th...
Wonder if they are the only adversary the Doctor(s) will face?

ZYGON.jpg

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
Looking forward to todays episode.

Clara is turning out to be brilliant. Matt Smith and her are brilliant, but not as good as the Tennant Piper combo imo.

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
So "The Rings Of Akhaten"
it seems a lot people hated this episode.I thought i was going to, but oddly enough i quite enjoyed it.
but what do i know, i quite liked "Love and Monsters":eek:

next week Ice Warriors and the Onion Knight!

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
So "The Rings Of Akhaten"
it seems a lot people hated this episode.I thought i was going to, but oddly enough i quite enjoyed it.
but what do i know, i quite liked "Love and Monsters":eek:

next week Ice Warriors and the Onion Knight!

It was a good episode for the first 'real' adventure with a new companion (ie, the one where they met the doctor the past week). Well, I suppose Clara is a technicality since another version of her met him in 'snowmen' and then another in 'asylum of the daleks' but you know what I mean. Another oddity is often they will already be in the tardis at the completion of the previous episode.

The reference to the doctor's granddaughter (assumedly Susan) probably immediately created fan fodder all over the net last night. I suspect we will see things like that all this year.

So any ideas what will happen after series 7 ends? The only thing on the calendar, aside from the Doctor Who retrospectives on BBC America, are the specials at the end of the year. Do they honestly think people will sit still with nothing happening for more than half of the 50th anniversary year?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
It was a good episode for the first 'real' adventure with a new companion (ie, the one where they met the doctor the past week). Well, I suppose Clara is a technicality since another version of her met him in 'snowmen' and then another in 'asylum of the daleks' but you know what I mean. Another oddity is often they will already be in the tardis at the completion of the previous episode.

The reference to the doctor's granddaughter (assumedly Susan) probably immediately created fan fodder all over the net last night. I suspect we will see things like that all this year.

So any ideas what will happen after series 7 ends? The only thing on the calendar, aside from the Doctor Who retrospectives on BBC America, are the specials at the end of the year. Do they honestly think people will sit still with nothing happening for more than half of the 50th anniversary year?

Knowing the BBC. Yes.

After all. People are waiting a year for the new season of Downton Abbey.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
Knowing the BBC. Yes.

After all. People are waiting a year for the new season of Downton Abbey.

What is aggravating even more is that we are getting less Who this year than normal. We got half of a series last year and did not complain (well, much) because not only would we get the second half of series 7 but also a full series 8. Then they moved series 8 until next year.

How often does a show get to mark 50 years? Especially if you exclude things that go on forever like news programmes?

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Now then (best stay with the one of those I think...), I have watched both of the new episodes of the new series and a face appears in the opening credit sequence. I've not had chance to re-watch but has anyone seen this?

I had the sense it was one of the classic doctors, or indeed they may show each doctor in turn every episode. It harks back to the old opening credits if so and I don't recall them being there previously.

Of course, there's also a chance that someone/thing is trying to contact me through my TV.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
What is aggravating even more is that we are getting less Who this year than normal. We got half of a series last year and did not complain (well, much) because not only would we get the second half of series 7 but also a full series 8. Then they moved series 8 until next year.

How often does a show get to mark 50 years? Especially if you exclude things that go on forever like news programmes?

There was a programme on Radio 4 this morning but not sure if you'd count that?

Problem is I imagine that Mr M is busy on Sherlock as well - although they do of course have other writers. Would be good if they could start showing some classic Who later in the year though. No Olympics this year do maybe they could show back-to-back Who instead?

----------

Does anybody know if Tom Baker is healthy enough to participate in the 50th ?

He still seems to do the odd voice over (well I assume it is him and not Jon Culshaw). It would be good if they could get all living Drs together, though I assume Ecclestone won't play ball.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Now then (best stay with the one of those I think...), I have watched both of the new episodes of the new series and a face appears in the opening credit sequence. I've not had chance to re-watch but has anyone seen this?

I had the sense it was one of the classic doctors, or indeed they may show each doctor in turn every episode. It harks back to the old opening credits if so and I don't recall them being there previously.
You're not seeing things – a face does appear fleetingly in the opening credits but it's the current Doctor rather than one of his predecessors. The Doctor's face hasn't featured since the classic series, I think it was reintroduced in the last Christmas special.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
You're not seeing things – a face does appear fleetingly in the opening credits but it's the current Doctor rather than one of his predecessors. The Doctor's face hasn't featured since the classic series, I think it was reintroduced in the last Christmas special.

Ah phew thanks. Madness is so last year.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK

Would have been a nice touch to feature each of the classic doctors' faces in the opening credits of an episode.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
Does anybody know if Tom Baker is healthy enough to participate in the 50th ?

Hopefully not! Too bad JNT died before the 2005 series started as I suspect he would have had a few choice words about Tom to the new producers!

No Olympics this year do maybe they could show back-to-back Who instead?

In the US (I guess they are only showing these here) we are getting one retrospective a month followed by a classic episode leading up to the big bash in November with Smith (11). More classic who this year would not be amiss though.

It would be good if they could get all living Drs together

Sort of like how Tom appeared in the 5 doctors?

The classic credits have the face (or for Pertwee the whole body) for long enough to see. The new one has it only fleeting and a partial face at that which blends with things ... blink and you will miss it.

Still though, I like the nod to the classic series. The same as the new tardis console room. With a lot of fans I am looking forward to 'journey to the centre of the tardis' (one that will cause all sorts of spelling fun) and hopefully they will also include the few rooms we glimpsed in the classic episodes.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I was thrilled to see (albeit briefly) the Doctor's face in the opening titles on Boxing Day (local viewing time here in Oz). And indeed - great to see a new title sequence that isn't just a colonoscopy...

Also the new TARDIS console room is I think as close to the original as we'll see, and I'm happy with it too.

Tom has said he'd definitely do the 50th if invited - that he regrets not doing the 20th, however he is an old man, and not up to running round like he used to...

Of course, at this point, it's very much not looking like the classic Docs will appear (unless it's indeed as Tom appeared in 5 Docs - old footage). They've done the read-thru, and started filming by now... and there's been no sighting of any classic Doctor actors...

Apparently Moffat planned on having Eccelston and Tennant, but Ecc said no.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.