The Door For Current ATT Customers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rdowns, Jan 7, 2011.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Don't let it hit you in the ass on your way out. :D

Hoping tons and tons of people leave for Verizon. Purely selfish reasons (ATT customer, AAPL stockholder) of course. :D

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Meaning the loss of many current iPhone AT&T customers to Verizon will lighten the data load on AT&T? Sounds like a good plan to me, I am staying with AT&T as the service is good where I live.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I donrt there will be a mass exodus from AT&T to vzw. I mean AT&T was smart to allow the majority of iPhone 3GS owners to upgrade to the ip4. They're locked into a 2 year contract with a high ETF

One other thing to consider is the iPhone 5 due out in 6 months. I buy a ip4 now at the subsidized price. I'll not be able to get the ip5 in June at the subsidized price

4. felch macrumors member

You really think that many current iPhone holders are going to break a 2 year contract that still has 1.5 years left AND pay a deposit and buy the exact same phone they already have just to get a supposedly better carrier?

If anything current AT&T iPhone customers are holding out for the iPhone5. If I were breaking contract it would to be to own a phone that I already own.

5. F123D, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011

F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I'm sure there's plenty of people who are still using a 3GS who would love to jump ship if the iPhone goes to Verizon. Not to mention people who are using some other phone on ATT. It's not just people with iPhone 4's.

6. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

The more people that jump over the Verizon the better for at&t users. Let them have a cdma phone that will make the person dead in the water if the iPhone craps out. Sim cards ftw!

7. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Let the whiners go. My great ATT service will get even better when these people go over there. Watch the Verizon data network get clogged!!

8. SuperCachetes, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2011

SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

I really want to see how many people, especially current VZW customers, have been holding out for the Verizon iPhone. As ubiquitous as the iPhone seems, I'm guessing the market is far from saturated with it.

AAPL is at 336 today; I think the next six months is going to be a thrilling ride.

9. kuebby, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2011

kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Oh I agree, Verizon could sell hundreds of thousands, even millions, of iPhones without taking a single AT&T customer.

And I'm definitely interested to see where the stock price goes, I don't own any AAPL stock but I convinced my Dad to buy in at around 150.

10. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

What's Verizon? The rest of the world doesn't care. ;)

11. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

even if a million ATT clients jumped to Verizon ... it is not going to improve your phone at all. :cool:

12. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

My nana wants an iPhone. How soon until Jitterbug gets it?

13. Supraking, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

Supraking macrumors member

How is wanting another provider whining?
    best utility apps

14. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I'll be leaving because AT&T has been promising 3G in my area for 2 years now and still nothing. Verizon has 3G here.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The one thing I will be doing tomorrow if the announcement is the iPad 2 and not the iPhone, is laughing my arse off so hard that I might just ***** a brick.

16. chestvrg macrumors 65816

That is true that Verizon will sure get clogged (their network) when the Vrz Iphone rolls into their network just like the at&t network has gotten clogged over the past four years since the first iPhone was released on at&t. No matter how good a network is, in my humble opinion, I'm sure any network the iphone can clog.

I have done speed test and sometimes I'm getting like 544Mbps and other times I get the usual 2.4Mbps...lets wait to see how Vrz wil respond to a sudden influx of millions of Vrz iPhone users :(

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's what you get for being a Red Wings fan :D

18. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

Except, of course, that Verizon has been building their 3G CDMA network out for quite a bit longer than ATT has. So I think that it will be interesting to see if that does happen; I'm of the opinion that it will be somewhere in the middle.

I'm a Verizon user who never switched to AT&T; a phone is a phone, and I need it to work like one (not dramatizing anything, but I have no AT&T service in my home; my AT&T 3G broadband card for work has never gotten a signal). So I'll be watching this event carefully, though I doubt I'll buy a phone that will be replaced in 4-6 months. Besides, webOS is more interesting there ;)

19. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Why would people on at&t using another phone switch to verizon for the iPhone? If they're on AT&T and using some other phone, then that means they're not interested in the iPhone and like AT&T service enough to use another device on it that they could probably get at verizon too.

20. chestvrg macrumors 65816

Yes let's all see what happens, b/c I'm sure the iPhone with all these services, I mean not that Android users dont slow down the network, also will contribute to the clogging of the network. Vrz has great service here in S. Florida and only if they were not GSM I would have also thought of switching to them, but I'm ok for now with at&t, I only wish speeds improve with the coming of a Vrz iPhone on at&t network too :)

21. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Certainly, there will be some movement to Verizon, but I simply don't foresee a mass exodus of current iPhone4 users to them. For one thing, why pay AT&T the termination fee? For another, why not sit out the situation a while and see what happens with the iPhone actually being used on the Verizon network? And finally, why buy a phone now that is likely going to be a generation behind in 6 months?
    I know there are those who have lousy signal coverage with AT&T who will jump immediately. That's understandable. But I'd want to be sure that the CDMA version of the iPhone AND the Verizon Network itself don't have their own quirks before I shelled out the money necessary to terminate my AT&T contract AND buy a new iPhone 4.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    I highly doubt there will be a mass exodus either.
    People will switch but I dont think it will be a significant number like some think.

That would be too funny:D
    I'd be looking forward to your old avatar:D

23. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

This is a Verizon announcement with Apple overtones, not an Apple event. Verizon is not gonna be the one to annouce iPad 2.

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Trust me, it's going back up if the announcement is the iPad 2. I will even make a thread laughing hard, because as we know the iPhone on Verizon is more likely to be announced at WWDC; not January during the iPad's refresh cycle.

By your logic, neither will Verizon announce the iPhone with them then and it's just the media overblowing this; which is my main thought.

25. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I would be surprised, but not shocked if it did turn out to be overblown; like if the speculation had continued to heat up that the Verizon CEO keynote would be the iPhone 4 announcement and everyone went with it. There seems to be too much falling in to place for there to be almost any chance of it being anything but the iPhone 4 this time.