The Event TV Show on NBC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Peace, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Not sure if this will become a spoiler type thread but I watched The Event last week and thought it had some potential.
    It even started out on a plane and had "3 hours earlier" type flashes.

Will this become the new LOST ?

Thoughts ? Anybody else watch it ?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I missed it, but it looks interesting. It is from the same creator as LOST, IIRC.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It was okay, though I will only watch the next episode to see where the plane "landed". Otherwise this might be another Flash Forward.

The Event was created by Nick Wauters, Lost was created by Jeffrey Lieber, J.J. Abrams and Damon Lindelof, though Carlton Cuse and Lindelof were the show-runners.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Alright ... I was wrong. I though JJ Abrams had something to do with it.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

DVRing it. Will only watch if it makes it's still around in a few months. Tired of investing time and shows getting cancelled so quickly.

6. Peace thread starter macrumors Core

Peace

I'd post a spoiler but since this is a new show and one of us has only DVR'd it I won't.:D

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I sat through the premiere hating almost every moment of it.

That said... I'm going to give it one more episode.

If I can remember to tune it in.

8. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Let's just put it this way: It wont make it to season two. It will have the same fate as "V"

9. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Watched it. I liked it but it was kinda hard to follow. Up to that last scene, I thought it was good. But I'll keep watching.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Negatives:

• I really, really disliked the multi-layered flashbacks. They'd better lose or minimize that fast. I had more than my fill of time-jumping on Lost.
    • It's on the same network as Persons Unknown, which was a very good series that NBC treated with criminal neglect. :mad: That sure doesn't bode well for this show.
    Positives:

• Flashbacks notwithstanding, the storytelling seems to be pretty straightforward, thank God. (But the first time a character explains something mysterious by saying "because that's the way it works" or "that's what the island wants", I'm outta here.)
    • The producers are supposed to have a fully laid out, five year storyline, which is exactly what J. Michael Straczynski did. When you know where you're going, you get excellence like Babylon 5. When you don't, you get The X Files.
    • I have to admit, I totally didn't expect what happened to the plane.
    • The allusion to Nowhere Man was not lost on me. :D

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

"V" got a second season. "Flash Forward" got canned after one season.

It will take some time until a proper sci-fi series comes along I guess.

12. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

I also hated the time jumping. The opening scene could've shown, catching our attention, then flash back to where it all began. It was really annoying.

13. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Oh yeah, that's what I meant.:eek:

14. Dany M macrumors 6502

Their was no character on the show, just people doing stuff for arbitrary reasons that do no connect us to them

15. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Yep, I have to agree the flash forward/backs were done WAY to early in the show considering we don't know anything AT ALL. Good way to lose an audience on the premier!

They really didn't establish crap, just a bunch of random scenes. I didn't even realize the pilot dude was his future father in-law until the end. There's so many shows being air'ed on Tuesday night, I don't see this surviving. They should have moved it to Wednesday so they have no competition.

I found that I was more distracted trying to figure out what shows I've seen all the characters in!

Jeez, even the DVR didn't make the event very interesting.

Seriously, if the chick in the bikini didn't show up, I think I wouldn't have lasted till the end! LOL

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Point of information: The Event airs on Mondays.

With regard to character development, it was only the first episode. Sitcoms can get away with being character-driven and having light, sometimes almost non-existent plots, but dramas, especially the "arc" type, are more plot-driven. Early episodes of this kind of show tend to be exposition-heavy, at the expense of character development; again, Babylon 5 and Persons Unknown come to mind. Both of those series overcame that problem in succeeding episodes, however.

With regard to the show itself, who else thinks that it was more than a "coincidence" that Ritter and his girlfriend ran into that other couple?

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Maybe if you indexed the scenes, and watched them in chronological order, some sense can be derived from the mess?

18. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Exactly.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

19. Peace thread starter macrumors Core

Peace

I'm gonna give this show another shot. I watched a re-run of it last night and it does have some potential.

It comes on tomorrow night. I too am wondering what happened to the airliner.

20. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I think they telegraphed that pretty loud and clear. ;) But on that note, did you also get the vibe that Ritter's girlfriend seemed to recognize one or both members of the other couple, or was that just me? She acted kind of odd around them and I couldn't figure out what that was all about.

So, yeah, I'm on the hook for at least one more episode. ;)

21. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It was OK for one episode. I'll give it a few more episodes at least.

Yes. I think she is in on it. Whatever "it" is anyway. I just hope "it" isn't aliens or smoke monsters.

22. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

I watched it. I didn't really like all of the multiple flashbacks and its like lost that there are so many "unanswered" questions.

I will probably wait till the season is over and then watch all the episodes in a row.

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Spoiler:

Too late!!!

Anyway, I thought the show picked up speed nicely in the second episode.

Spoiler:

The group led by the alien Thomas vs. the group led by his brother is an interesting dynamic, rather reminiscent of The X Files' invading aliens vs. rebel aliens.

24. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I gave it a chance, I said if I got more than 2 "flashbacks" this episode (after multiple last episode) it was over, needless to say, it's over. I'll stick with Boardwalk Empire and Eastbound and Down.

Why are terrible shows still on regular tv? HBO just does it soooooo much better.

25. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I've only seen the first episode but I think this will be my new addiction!

Why is it everywhere I turn LOST get's mentioned.

I miss it so much. :p

:(