The FedEx theory

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by shanew212, Apr 23, 2015.

1. shanew212, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015

shanew212 macrumors member

After reading over various posts throughout the day and over the past few days, I've begun to think more and more that the watches that are still processing are coming via Fedex. Here are some reasons:

1. The Space Gray Sport - These seem to be by far the most rare to get shipping notifications (I haven't seen a single 38mm ship), yet these were by far the most popular config. How is it that Apple wouldn't anticipate this?

2. The black sport band - Again, very rare. Most of the ones shipping now are other colors. Again, there's no way Apple wouldn't anticipate the black sport band being the most popular.

3. Fedex is usually the carrier of choice for Apple...and many of the accessories are shipping quickly (some the next day!) via Fedex.

4. The Apple Watch deliveries so far have been manufactured after the pre order date. So Apple decided to make these all in 2 weeks?

So what's more likely? That Apple, who has one of the most sound supply chains of any company, is going to miss demand on the most popular Watch config out there....

Or, that Apple produced a ton of the models they thought would be most popular and got them to Fedex early. Maybe Fedex has a warehouse of Apple Watches already assembled waiting for shipment tonight. The accessories got shipped to the same place and, without a hold, have begun going out. The reason these wouldn't have charged yet is because Apple is paying for the Fedex warehouse space. They still technically own the title to the goods. The UPS orders were supposed to be store inventory, but, due to demand outclassing supply, they diverted those to pre orders.

2. Phil Holland macrumors regular

3. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Sounds plausible.

As someone who got their order confirmation e-mail at t+04 with a 4-6 week shipping window on a 42mm black sport I'm hoping for a miracle :cool:

4. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Makes perfect sense.

Especially the Space Gray part, and the pink. Haven't even seen one pink ship but yet had the 4/24 start of the window.

5. Jrdn13crvr macrumors regular

TO BACK UP THE FEDEX THEORY: All data is from a thread on orders still processing.

Attached Files:

6. kollarc macrumors member

Yeah, I think you might be on the right track here. I ordered at 12:02 SG 38mm and haven't heard a peep. Hoping these get released into the wild here overnight so it's at my doorstep in the AM. I have no doubt they will come through for the rest of us!!!

7. killawat macrumors 65816

yeah but the people who got ship notifications were charged a few hours prior to shipping; alot of us have not been charged yet so if we were going to magically see them tomorrow why haven't we been charged now?

I want this to work as much as anyone but it just doesn't add up.

8. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Shhhhh! :apple:

9. shanew212 thread starter macrumors member

If they are sitting in a Fedex warehouse on hold, it's likely that Apple would be paying for that space. If the warehouse were to burn down, for example, Fedex wouldn't be responsible because they could claim Apple was making them hold the inventory there until the 24th. Apple wouldn't charge people until those actually go to ship.

I work in Finance at a tech company and this actually happens a good amount. We can't recognize the revenue until the title transfers to the shipping company. Sometimes we have to pay if inventory sits in a 3rd party's warehouse then defer that revenue until it leaves.

10. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

I've been beating the fedex drum for days on here.

This is too big a rollout to only rely on one carrier. UPS's tracking system is updates once a label is reported created to UPS. FedEx tracking numbers won't appear online until the label is scanned- which could be at the hub tonight. It will be interesting to see what happens over night.

11. ItsGavinC macrumors 6502

I agree with you and posted a thread about it yesterday. Most of the watches were already being store in regional hubs. Mine is a 42mm space gray and I was only charged yesterday and received a shipping notice today. But...I don't think it has actually shipped yet. I'm guessing it will ship in a couple of hours and arrive at my local hub in the early morning to be placed on the truck.

12. Kent01 macrumors 6502

While I'd like to believe in this, I can't. We'd see movement by now, some sort of notification about it. It would have snuck out somewhere.

Here and Reddit show no signs of any Fedex or any movement of the 38mm SGS. Also, a poster put up a quote from a senior service rep saying there are manufacturing issues with the grey aluminum models.

13. wxnats macrumors 6502a

Seems logical. Lots of FedEx plans en route to Memphis right now.

14. Randy7fx macrumors member

So orders that are still processing can still be edited. Particularly, a free gift message can still be added. How would this be possible if the watches were no longer in apples hands (if they were in fedex hands already)?

15. rabbitgtdguy macrumors member

16. bluecluee macrumors member

I approve of this Theory. My 38 SG still has a chance

17. shanew212 thread starter macrumors member

This is a good point, unless the gift messages won't actually show up this late (and are a site glitch), or if Apple is having Fedex assemble the packaging. This would somewhat explain the terrible accessory packaging being floated around this site.

18. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

yeah, good point. I've been tempted to try and add one just to see if it errors out but I dont want to effect my date.

19. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

In theory, since you haven't yet been billed they could allocate your watch to someone else at the shipping hub and place an order for a new customized one.

Unlikely, but possible.

20. shanew212 thread starter macrumors member

Service reps don't know anything about the Apple supply chain.

21. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

I actually had the same idea.

I ordered a 42mm SS with BSB and a 42mm space gray with BSB, both still processing.

The last thing I ordered from Apple on the afternoon of 4/9, I received via FedEx. I received shipping notification at 11:03 PM that night and received the item two days later on the 11th via standard shipping. Looking at the tracking number, it shipped earlier that day, but I wasn't notified so I didn't know the tracking number. I didn't receive a charge on my card until the 10th, that actually went through after I received the item.

This confirms that Apple ships items via FedEx before notifying the user and the charge wouldn't even show up until after.

I also noticed that everyone I've read about with shipping information is via UPS. I posted on the other thread and not a single person replied that they were receiving the item via FedEx.

22. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Don't ruin my hope! :mad:

23. techedude macrumors regular

I'm here to squash your theory. UPS has the contract for the watches. How do I know? I have been working there for the past 9 years. FedEx screwed up years ago and we won the Apple contract. Sure you might see some accessories ship thru FedEx but 99.99% of the watches are UPS. I'm talking about launch day products. Good luck with your algorithm

24. Nicklaus macrumors 6502

Nicklaus

Is it though? I don't know how many iPhones usually ship the first day v/s the apple watch first day?