The Fifth Ave Apple Store Employees Being *******s. Advice Appreciated!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by madKIR, Sep 29, 2010.

1. madKIR macrumors 6502

O'k. Today I made it again to the Apple store on Fifth Ave (NYC). But left it being extremely upset. Here's my story.

My recent problem is the home button, which appears to be unresponsive at times. My current iPhone 4 is my second replacement and I've been using it for almost a month since September 1st.

In the beginning the home button was fine, but very recently it started to lag or just being unresponsive.

I know it's not the software problem as I didn't have it before even on 4.1. As I said it started very recently (about 10 days ago). I did restore it a couple of times (as a new one as well), but apparently it didn't help.

The home button itself is unresponsive on sides, it means you have to be very precise in order to make it work, if you're off the very center of it, it doesn't register. I checked some other phones on display: they all seem to be much better, almost all of them have super-sensitive buttons as compared to mine (mine used to be the same), even those ones with loose buttons are better.

Yesterday I made an appointment at the store and had a talk with a genius: he couldn't replicate it and made a record. That's it. Later at night, my phone just froze for a minute: the home button didn't react at all! I realized that I got enough and made another appointment for today's morning.

Today I spoke with another genius who seemed to be extremely annoyed about me (even though, I didn't say anything bad). We also found out that my previous visit to the Apple store was left unnoticed as there wasn't any record about my issue! Seems like that bastard from yesterday didn't record anything:confused:
    Well, today my genius (his name was Rick...dick:)) couldn't replicate the issue either, he was acting like a weirdo: he was too nervous and annoyed, as I said above. He saw that I was persistent on asking for a replacement, so he offered me to talk to a manger. I followed his suggestion. Rick disappeared for about 5 minutes: I guess he was explaining my problem to the manger. So, when the manager appeared, he was already prejudiced toward me, I could see it in his eyes. Unfortunately, he wasn't wearing a badge and I don't know his name. He was almost laughing at me, I swear:( He just took a phone and pressed the home button twice and gave it back to me. He was like: "No, your phone is fine, I can tell it. If it was a hardware issue, it would be obvious every single time I push the button". I took the phone and replicated the issue right before his very eyes, he took it and tried it and again it worked fine. But that was no surprise as he pushed it firmly, but, I know, it's not the way you press your home button every time. He was very impolite in his tone: "As an engineer, I can tell you it's not hardware, it could be software and blah blah blah". O'k, even if it's software (which is not), what do I have to do with that? Should I create my own software to make the phone work the way it should be? Should I suffer because of it? Or is that damn difficult to give me a normal working unit?! I know there are some other people who have their phones swapped for much less important issues.

I feel kind of cheated and betrayed: it feels like Apple employees are ready to lick your ass as long as you're under the 30-day exchange/return period. They know you can take your money back, thus they try their best to please you. But as soon as you're out of that term, you're not welcome anymore.

O'k, I'm sorry guys that it is that effing long, but I'm so pissed off right now as it's my first unsatisfactory retail experience and it's connected to Apple (WOW). I need your help. Should I try it at another store, or maybe should I write an open letter to Apple? :confused:

Any advice is extremely appreciated!

2. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

Some times, when apps 'freeze' really bad, the home button wont work. You will have to force-quit the app or hard reset.

If the home button works normally the rest of the time, there should be no problems with your unit.

3. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Personally, I would go to another store and tell them exactly what you've been through at the other store. Hopefully they'll be sympathetic towards you and help you out. If that fails again, then reside with open letters.

4. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

I know you're frustrated as hell so don't freak out on me. My wife has the same home button issue on our first iPod Touch 2nd gen 16GB I bought for her birthday last year.

Focus on your quote above, especially in bold. Thing is with software things can occur OVER TIME. What you imply above seems to be software bug related due to updates since 4.1. We got the same rigamoround as you did. Eventually we gave up and my 12yr old son is enjoying it (more than his PSP3000 and his original Nintendo DS).

hope you get a quality iPHone 4 soon ... and the next replacement try to be sensitive with the home key - or let other not go nuts on it.

Oddly enough the excuse that its software and no offer to resolve the issue does NOT make good customer service. Apple claims it's iOS4 is THE BEST mobile OS in the world ~ well they need to prove it beyond just sales & apps but with customer satisfaction if their in-store engineers deem something is wrong. if they cannot prove the device was jailbroken or circumvented in any way then the device sold or the firmware updates that is software COULD be at fault.

Out of curiosity which 'software' was used to duplicate the issue - something purchased/3rd party developer or core app function?!

5. madKIR thread starter macrumors 6502

I know what you mean, but it's not my case: I simply try double/single click on the home screen and it doesn't register at times, I could press it 3-5 times with no effect at all. The button doesn't even feel right anymore: it's become too stiff, feels like it has lost its ability to spring back strongly as it used to do, if you know what I mean.

6. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

I had the same problem with a genius not being able to replicate an issue with my MacBook about a year ago. He told me to go home, and if I saw it happen again, record it and bring that video back. I did that and they fixed it for me.

Try to show them a video of it not working, and if they still don't want to replace it go to a different store

7. madKIR thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, thanks! You've just refreshed my memory: the genius told me the same!
    But again, it sounds weird to me: the manger couldn't believe my fingers replicating the issue before his very eyes, but how are they gonna believe the video?:rolleyes:

8. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Videos work.

With my iPhone 4, I recorded a friend holding his iPhone 4 to his ear and watched the proximity sensor keep tripping the screen on and off. I panned around his head to show that it's kept steady.

I forwarded him the video, he showed it to the Genius at the bar, and got it replaced without even them performing their own test.

You may have just been dealing with pricks. They're not superhuman, just human, and just as faulty as you and me. Go to another store. Be fair, be upfront, be honest, and be kind. You'd be surprised how they can react: http://www.tipb.com/2010/09/29/apple-nonwarranty-repair-tip/

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Just call up Apple support and explain the the button doesn't feel right and doesn't respond as it should. Forget trying to point out it may be a software issue. Tell them you can't get to an Apple store. Give them a credit card number (for if you don't return yours) and they will send you a new one ASAP. Simple. Call them now. ;)

10. solius macrumors regular

Sounds like you are being weird about your button. Who tries to press their button just on the sides? I know I always press the whole button down and it works every time. Not trying to be a d**k just saying though might just be you being paranoid seeing they couldn't replicate the issue because they were pressing the button like normal people would.

11. Bisz macrumors regular

Go to a different store. It all depends on the people you are dealing with, if you aren't having luck at that store then try another.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I keep hearing bad things about the Fifth Ave Apple Store.
    Remind me not to go shopping there when Im in NY:)

13. samcraig macrumors P6

I have been to the Apple store on 5th dozen of times and have NEVER had a problem and everyone there has been extremely nice, professional and helpful.

I'm not suggesting the OP was difficult. I'm just saying that your mileage may vary.

14. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

i have a prob with my home button as well but I really think its software as I only have to push it twice to wake the phone. every other time its once. but when my phones been asleep for awhile it takes 2 pushes to turn the screen on but if I turn the screen off and try right away 1 push will work.

15. madKIR thread starter macrumors 6502

I just compared my home button to others: and others seem to be working fine even on sides, while mine is not accurate even when pressed normally. I know how it should be as I was using my 3G S (for more than a year), as well as my other iPhone 4 (the yellow spots issue) before it was replaced. Even more, the current one used to be different too.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, just like with everything else.
    That store probably gets tons of traffic also so thats probably why we hear more stories about it.

17. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

You're weird and OCD. Your button works, if a MANAGER (highest level you can get to at the store) pushed the damn button and it works - you're being weird. Sorry. But like anything else in retail, if you bitch and complain about your phone enough you'll get a replacement. That's why some customers are such ****'s.

18. madKIR thread starter macrumors 6502

I was not OCD with my 3G S as it didn't give me any reasons to be, but with the release of the iPhone 4, I guess, millions of people have become OCD as the quantity of issues (as well as affected phones) is unacceptable.

19. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I have to agree. My 2 month old iphone 4 has a sticky home button and yet a 3+ year old iphone 2G that I bought from a friend has a home button that feels absolutely brand new.

20. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

It's a button! As long as it works who cares what it feels like? You push it, it works.

I don't understand. Why would you want to push the home button from the sides? And can you even push it from the sides? I'm not trying to sound like an ******, but man...the button is so small, how can you push it any other way than...center? Are you pushing it with the tip of a pencil? :rolleyes:

21. madKIR thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh dear...I feel like some people don't even bother reading the whole thing but only some bits of it and then try being categoric.
    I do not push it from the sides when I use my phone! What I meant was that I'm trying to push it as centered as possible, but apparently it's playing tricks on me. It's not about the way it feels or something (I honestly don't care how it feels if it performs its main duty), it's about the fact it does not perform well. These things have been brought up for the sake of comparison. Thank you.

22. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

Hey man, with all due respect, I dont think it was their fault. And yeah they might have been rude or whatever, but think of it from their stand point. Here is some pushy customer with apparently nothing wrong with his phone other than the button doesnt press from some weird angle demanding a replacement phone. I mean three people couldnt replicate the issue...so odds are pretty good its not even an issue in the first place.

Honestly, if the phone works and the button works (albeit if you have to push it from the center, which I think is the only way you can press it), what is the problem? If youre worried about breaking it or it falling off or something, it would be covered under warranty.

Buy the AppleCare, put the phone in your pocket, and live your life man. Live.

23. madKIR thread starter macrumors 6502

I replicated the issue before the manager. But he was pushing the button firmly on purpose. If you push the button in a normal soft way (the way I used to do it before with my other phones), it does not register a hell of a lot of times.

24. Vick84 macrumors regular

Vick84

best way to go is do it online. I had almost same problem with my battery not holding charge, but apple genius said it was ok after they "performed the test" anyways i knew there was a battery problem so i just went online and did a warranty replacement and took me only 5 mins to do it.

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

'Nuff said.