The Fight is On! Palm vs. Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maclver, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

I don't think they're allowed to do that. lol
    If Palm wants to have their Pre syncable (is that a word?) they should make their own media application.

3. Maclver thread starter macrumors 68020

Maclver

it is not allowed I can see this getting really ugly really quick.......I like how companies i.e Palm, Microsoft etc uses other companies IP (intellectual property) i.e Apple...

4. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Have you seen Apple? They can't help it. :p

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So the fact that the iPhone syncs with Microsoft Outlook bothers you too?

After all, Apple should just make their own mail and calendar application for Windows, right?

6. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Well, the iPhone doesn't use trickery to sync into Outlook, does it? I'm just saying that Palm is living on the edge with what they're doing is all.

7. Maclver thread starter macrumors 68020

Maclver

and Apple probably has bought the rights or has permission from microsoft for exchange support! They are not just stealing it.

8. Smrtphoneaddict macrumors member

This is going to be fun. I bet iTunes 8.2.2 will be out next week.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm not talking about Exchange. I'm talking about USB syncing which the iPhone supported before Exchange support came along.

I'm asking: If Palm is wrong for not making their own media app then isn't Apple wrong for not making their own e-mail app for Windows users?

10. Maclver thread starter macrumors 68020

Maclver

Again.... Correct me if i'm wrong.. but I bet Apple has permission!

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If Microsoft gives permission to connect to outlook, why isn't Apple giving permission to connect to iTunes?

Tell me which company you think is right and which one you think is wrong.

Should Apple give in to Palm or should Microsoft start blocking the iPhone? You have to pick one. Clearly, to each person, one is right and one is wrong. I'm asking which company is which one, in your opinion.

(Either choice is fine, it's an opinion question. No right or wrong answer.)

12. Maclver thread starter macrumors 68020

Maclver

But but I Highly doubt Palm asked Apple " Hey can we use iTunes to sync our Palm Pre"...... And one major difference here i think is Microsoft is an Open Source company whereas Apple is closed you use Apple software for Apple products only! i.e iTunes +iPod +iPhone. etc

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is the same as saying cats bark and dogs meow.

You should go read up on what 'open source' means because you clearly have no idea.

14. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Or maybe Palm could ask for permission? And work with Apple? This is a really illogical post :rolleyes:

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Apple has refused all requests of this nature. Many have asked.

16. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Has Apple learned nothing from past blunders?

What is with their infatuation with proprietary hardware to access desired software? What they need to do is start licensing agreements out.

If you ask me, telling people that they cannot sync itunes on the phone of their choice is bad for the consumers.

Closing themselves off is part of what killed them off in the 80s/90s. Opening up and collaborating with MS and other partners has been great for the consumers.

17. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

So that makes it ok for Palm to in essence break-in? Just because Microsoft chooses to allow syncing, doesn't mean Apple must follow. If all companies were the same, it'd be a boring world :p I'm still not following the logic that if one company does, the other must.

18. Maclver thread starter macrumors 68020

Maclver

100% agreed...

19. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

The iPhone doesn't need to function with Microsoft's support of outlook. So if Microsoft decided to not allow the iPhone to sync with it, no big deal. There's plenty of other options for syncing your contacts. Email is nothing since you have email on the phone already.

Palm is directly competing against Apple and their iPhone. And Palm desperately needs their phones to sync with iTunes to be a good media phone (only because so many people either use iTunes or have iPods). So why would Apple feed their competition and let Palm sync off of the software they've created.

To answer your question, neither one of them are really in the wrong. Apple is doing what it should to protect itself from its competitors. Palm isn't doing anything illegal and is trying to make their phone users have more functionality in their phones. So yes, I see this going back and forth for a long time until one of them folds.

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Where did I say that? :rolleyes:

I'm NOT asking about Palm! My question is: Why is Apple refusing to let Palm sync with iTunes? Is it a good idea? Palm's actions have nothing to do with what I've been saying. I'm asking about Apple.

Thank you for a real answer.

21. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I think this is a really important distinction between Microsoft outlook syncing and the topic at hand. Why should Apple cater to competitors? Good post! :)

22. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

Whoa! What Apple did in the 80s and 90s is way different than not allowing a direct competitor to use their software. Apple may not be doing a great thing with blocking Palm, but it's also not a bad thing.

Apple should profit off this and do licensing agreements. If Palm wants it THAT bad, they'll pay.

23. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

SO, to recap:

When the iPod was new, people said "Don't buy it! You get locked in with their evil iTunes DRM!"

I would come on these boards and say "Fools! You don't have to buy online! I buy CDs or MP3s from other stores! You don't have to lock yourself in! Get an iPod!"

And now, it seems, I was wrong and those people were right. Using iTunes DOES lock you in to Apple products. I should have listened to those anti-Apple folks that I spent so much time arguing against. They were right and I was wrong and now my music is stuck to my iPhone. Buying non-DRM music didn't help one bit.

Great.

24. Packersfan27 macrumors 6502