Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Packersfan27

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2008
Just because you live somewhere, doesn't necessarily mean you're there 100% of the time.

School playground fight? What are you talking about?

This seems like when two kids would get in a fight and all the other kids would go in a circle and yell Fight!

and I was just kidding lol, I know Steve Jobs probably does not spend every waking moment at Apple Hq.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
SNIP
They have the App Catalog, which just opened its SDK a few days ago. Also, there is no "legal ramifications" for syncing a Pre with iTunes. Just as there is no "legal ramifications" for jail-breaking an iPhone. Just because Apple doesn't like it doesn't mean its illegal.

There are other people arguing the legal crap. My main point was about the App Store. GLWT for the App Catalog. I'm sure that will take off.

Vyriss

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2009
Wrong, hacking iTunes and not using supported methods breaks the license agreement for using iTunes.

Also I am pretty sure Palm is able to do this using proprietary knowledge of iTunes taken from former Apple engineers, too which is illegal.

As far as I know (not a lawyer) "License Agreements" have no real legal authority, and unless they signed a "Non-complete clause" (which obviously they didn't), there's nothing Apple can really do preventing former Apple engineers from performing their job at a new company., unless they actually want to take it to court and risk having their EULA ruled invalid. I really don't think this iPod+iTunes thing really wants to go to court.

shakenmartini

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2008
Oh yes, quite convenient. Let me just purchase this music off iTunes.... Ok, now let me just simply burn it to a CD..... ok.... now let me just rip it back to my computer on a different media client... ok, there we go. Alright, that wasn't way more complicated than it needed to be.:p

No you are wrong. iTunes no longer has DRM (and you can get rid of DRM by upgrading). It is MP4 music. Simply copy it to whatever device you want or transcode it if your device doesn't support MP4.

You can even drag and drop it if you like (this is what I do with my old beater MP3 player) and it works perfectly.

If you don't want to pay for DRM upgrade then you are an idiot for buying DRM music in the first place.

Vyriss

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2009
No you are wrong. iTunes no longer has DRM (and you can get rid of DRM by upgrading). It is MP4 music. Simply copy it to whatever device you want or transcode it if your device doesn't support MP4.

You can even drag and drop it if you like (this is what I do with my old beater MP3 player) and it works perfectly.

If you don't want to pay for DRM upgrade then you are an idiot for buying DRM music in the first place.
Oh yes, because "upgrading" i.e. PAYING to get rid of DRM is so convenient, right?

ogdogg

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
Arizona
SWC: Looks like others aren't understanding what you're talking about either...

I understand what he's talking about. He's just wrong is all. I was merely pointing out that fact. As for burning and ripping back to your computer, see my statement about lacking intelligence.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
No you are wrong. iTunes no longer has DRM

I was talking about 2003.

Could you please stop telling us all how iTunes no longer has DRM? That really has nothing to do with my story about when the iTunes store was new.

As for burning and ripping back to your computer, see my statement about lacking intelligence.

I was clearly talking about things like playlists and star ratings. Tell me, how do you copy those things to audio CDs?

shakenmartini

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2008
As far as I know (not a lawyer) "License Agreements" have no real legal authority, and unless they signed a "Non-complete clause" (which obviously they didn't), there's nothing Apple can really do preventing former Apple engineers from performing their job at a new company., unless they actually want to take it to court and risk having their EULA ruled invalid. I really don't think this iPod+iTunes thing really wants to go to cout.

AFAIK, all Apple employees sign non-compete agreements. My wife had to sign a non-compete cause. She can be sued if she uses her proprietary knowledge of company products. She can also go to jail if she were to use certain trade secrets from her old company. This is called theft.

There are ways around this and these agreements are not always enforced, but Apple could at any time choose to enforce them, both civilly and criminally depending on the type and scope of violation.

Hacking iTunes could lead to DMCA and other legal issues just like what happened to some guys recently trying to crack satellite TV algorithms.

Just like stealing music. Most people get away with it, but this doesn't make it legal. Is this right the way in which laws such as DMCA are enforced. I dont' think so, but laws are laws.

Vyriss

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2009
Intellectual property is intellectual property.
Indeed.

I'm getting the feeling that Palm is trying to force Apple into a legal showdown or they are so confident in their patent portfolio that they feel they can throw these features around.

ogdogg

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
Arizona
I was clearly talking about things like playlists and star ratings. Tell me, how do you copy those things to audio CDs?

Why would you need star ratings and playlists if you weren't using iTunes? But to answer your question... Google it. I was able to move this info from a pc to a mac. It is possible, but again, it comes down to intelligence and knowing how to integrate that information into whatever made up media reader you would be using. ;-)

shakenmartini

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2008
Oh yes, because "upgrading" i.e. PAYING to get rid of DRM is so convenient, right?

Yeah it sucks, but there is a way. When people bought DRM music, this was their choice and now they have to deal with the desires of Apple and the RIAA to free it.

You can't cry that you can't take your iTunes music with you anymore. It is supported and easy to do so.

Palm's actions are stupid and are probably going to bite them in the rear

nehunte

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2009

Do you start every post with "No you are wrong." And you called me an idiot for buying DRM music in the first place? I never once said I purchased DRM music. What are you talking about? :confused:

And paying extra money to make the music you already own non-DRM is laughable!

shakenmartini

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2008
Do you start every post with "No you are wrong." And you called me an idiot for buying DRM music in the first place? I never once said I purchased DRM music. What are you talking about? :confused:

And paying extra money to make the music you already own non-DRM is laughable!

Then you have no problems.

Copy your iTunes music to whatever device you want. It is easy. Drag and drop if you like.

You can also sync said music using supported methods to competitor products such as Nokia and Blackberries and a bunch of other players using their own sync clients.

nehunte

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2009
Then you have no problems.

Copy your iTunes music to whatever device you want. It is easy. Drag and drop if you like.

You can also sync said music using supported methods to competitor products such as Nokia and Blackberries and a bunch of other players using their own sync clients.

I already know how to do it!! I've used my iTunes music on every phone I've had before my iPhone.

I was just calling you out since you called me out in another post for no reason. Small white car is the one that doesn't know how to do it.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Closing themselves off is part of what killed them off in the 80s/90s. Opening up and collaborating with MS and other partners has been great for the consumers.

Yeah, Apple is really on the ropes having just had a record 3rd quarter. They don't know what they are doing. They must be doing it wrong. Please...If that's doing it wrong, I wish I could be doing things wrong too!!! I bet I could find a use for 1.23 BILLION dollars.

Clearly Apple is doing just things just fine. One only need to look at their balance sheet and bank account to know that.

shakenmartini

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2008
I already know how to do it!! I've used my iTunes music on every phone I've had before my iPhone.

I was just calling you out since you called me out in another post for no reason. Small white car is the one that doesn't know how to do it.

Ahh this board drops multi-level quotes for some reason

dvanwinkle

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
Ohio
Wrong, hacking iTunes and not using supported methods breaks the license agreement for using iTunes.

Also I am pretty sure Palm is able to do this using proprietary knowledge of iTunes taken from former Apple engineers, too which is illegal.

Not to mention, the Apple Engineers will be held accountable also, seeing as they signed a non-compete when they began employment. I only worked at the Apple Store as a sales person and I had to sign one. I couldn't even release an iPhone app while working there. If you use any proprietary knowledge gained at Apple, you are held accountable. You are right that Palm will also be held accountable for using the engineers with prior knowledge of the Engineers and Apple's agreements.

This will be a significant blow to Palm, one that I am sure Apple would have overlooked if Palm wouldn't have decided to go around Apple's protections again.

paj

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
USA
Doesn't the Blackberry Media Sync program do just that? I'm not entirely sure, but I think that is what it does.
Sort of. It allows you access to iTunes playlists, but it's not a true sync. It simply copies everything over each time regardless of whether it needs to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.