The Flu is Killing Up to 4,000 Americans a Week

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by oldhifi, Feb 12, 2018.

1. oldhifi, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

2. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Wow thats crazy. But how many of these unfortunate souls had other precipitating conditions that let the flu push them over the edge - weakened immune systems, chemotherapy or such. If not the flu, pneumonia or something else would have got them down the road anyways.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

10 year old kids are dying.

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Jesus Christ, people. Get the shot. While it is not able to prevent the flu, it has been tied to decreased mortality

5. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

I got the shot (my parents made me). I haven't had the flu since I was a kid, but it's always extremely disturbing when I hear about the flu killing perfectly healthy people. I have a cold right now and unfortunately, since I'm a college student and I work at a library, I'm basically much more likely to pick something up -_-

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

You're not as likely to die from it, but you're way more likely to contract it on a college campus. Good on you to get the shot.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2018 ---
    Pneumonia is a side-effect of flu and you don't know if you may not know if you have an issue that makes you susceptible to the virus.

7. Zenithal macrumors 601

I suspect you're bound to contract much more than the flu on a college campus.

8. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Very sobering numbers.

I read of an otherwise healthy mother just died from the flu. Her doctor gave her a prescription to be filled. Once she found out her copay was $116, she thought she would save her family the money by not getting the medicine. Her husband found out what she did and went immediately to the pharmacy to get her prescription. Unfortunately, his quickness wasn't quick enough, as she had to be taken to the ER and died shortly thereafter.

9. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm just curious why the flu has become a 'thing' in recent years.

I grew up in the 1980s. You got the flu, you puked, had aches, hot and chills, and took cold medicine. But then you got over it at the most in a week and went on.

There were no mass epidemic of flu kill stories every year. Hell, TheraFlu as a OTC med product didn't show up on the shelves until the late 90s.

I'm no anti-vaccer (both my kids have their vaccinations, my parents made sure my sister and I were vaccinated) but I question this push to give me a shot every year.

On top of that, nine times out of ten the vaccine is for the wrong strain.

11. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

I had the flu in the beginning of the year and all I can say it was nasty. The first two days of the flu I was running a temperature and had the chills so bad that no amount of blankets kept me warm. The first 5 days I felt like total crap and just wanted to stay in bed all day long. During the time I developed a cough that lasted well over 2 weeks and I was going to go to the Doctor but it suddenly cleared up. I can see where people are dying from the flu and I'm pretty surprise I didn't go to the doctor or hospital.

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

In 1918, about 20 million died world wide (with a much smaller population).

Every year there are different strains that are more or less harmful.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

14. A.Goldberg, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2018

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Yeah, there was an 11 year old from my hometown in CT who died a few weeks ago, very sad.

Typically you only are supposed to prescribe Tamiflu if you’d otherwise be hospitalizing the person or they have risk factors. You’re really only supposed to give it if the patient is seen within 2 days of developing symptoms. The hospitals are completely overloaded- I was visiting a general hospital for work and there were people parked in the hallways. Really not because people are dying, but because people are now overly aware and seeking treatment.

The Meta analyses on Tamiflu is concerning too. It has not been shown to reduce hospital stays or complications. Some studies suggest it’s not even that effective in reducing death in high risk populations (the population for which the drug is reccomendrd). Viral infections are complicated and it is not the be all, end all of flu treatment unfortunately.

There’s a Japanese company right now trying to fast track a medicine based off on an anti-HIV drug (the process of infection of the flu and HIV are very similar) that allegedly will stop the flu iafter just one day. We’ll have to see if that lofty promise is really a reality, but the soonest it would be available is still months away.

15. oldhifi thread starter macrumors 65816

oldhifi

16. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

There were deaths and cases of flu before, you just weren't as exposed to them through the internet

17. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Where is Fortune getting their numbers? No links and according to the CDC site it shows 63.

https://gis.cdc.gov/GRASP/Fluview/PedFluDeath.html

Is this like school shootings where they grab anything close to a school to pad numbers? I'm not doubting it (I guess I am) but even the evening news aren't reporting these astounding numbers.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

19. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I got called in by a hospital I used to work at (within the same hospital network- usually I work at a psych hospital) due to the overwhelming overload of patients (and probably burning out staff). It’s not very typical they call in extra help for clinical pharmacists.

Basically lots of people reporting with the flu, some with it, many with just a cold. Lots of people dehydrated (the worldwide shortage of IV bags isn’t helping- basically IV hydration have been restricted to people unable to to drink and Gatorade is given to those who can).

20. Zenithal macrumors 601

I was under the impression that the efficacy of Tamiflu lessens as the patient's age increases.

21. Phil in ocala macrumors 6502a

Phil in ocala

22. oldhifi thread starter macrumors 65816

oldhifi

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

24. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

I got the flu shot back in October, sometime in December I came down with the flu, absolutely miserable & achy all over, bad cough. etc. Odd thing is that about a week or two before I got the flu, the spot in my upper arm where I got my flu shot became ridiculously achy & painful to the point it kept me up at night. Night after night, during the day, everything. It continued throughout the whole flu thing. I don't feel it any more thank god & am so grateful I changed my mind last year & didn't get the shot in my "working" arm for a change-up. Anyway, from what's been in the news about the flu this season, I do think the shot helped mitigate the worst of it for me despite the freaky arm pain.

I read recently that Tamiflu has been around for ages. Ha! I laugh. My doctor...well, never mind.