Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A lot of stalling, hanging, and freezing these past few days, especially in the evenings in Europe; sometime,s I have to leave the site, and switch off the wifi, before it will load.

Notifications are also a pain to open, at times, and tend to stall.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It just took 45 seconds for a post to load; in fact, the page cut out.

When I pressed 'post reply' a second time, after the cut-out, needless to say, a duplicate post (which I have since deleted) appeared.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Something seems to be going on currently with the forums not working consistently and either being rather slow at times or showing an error of one type or another.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Something seems to be going on currently with the forums not working consistently and either being rather slow at times or showing an error of one type or another.
What errors?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What errors?
Sometimes I would end up on an "Error 502" error page when accessing a thread, other times I would see something along the lines of "Oops! We ran into some problems" (when trying to watch a thread or something similar that brings up a modal dialog), and occasionally after taking some time a thread would load but the layout would be fairly messy like some CSS isn't processed.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

I'm finding them very slow, and prone to stalling, hanging and freezing, and this issue is becoming as bad as it used to me before the recent change of platform when it had improved considerably for a while.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm finding them very slow, and prone to stalling, hanging and freezing, and this issue is becoming as bad as it used to me before the recent change of platform when it had improved considerably for a while.
In my case it seems like the issues that were there mostly just yesterday were around for a period of a couple of hours or so and then things returned to normal.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Very slow again (to load, to open a page, to 'post a reply' or register a 'like' both today and yesterday - in fact, at times, it seems to be even slower than it was before the migration to the current platform.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Very slow again (to load, to open a page, to 'post a reply' or register a 'like' both today and yesterday - in fact, at times, it seems to be even slower than it was before the migration to the current platform.

I disagree.

Have you checked your connection?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
This tendency to stalling and freezing only happens on a regular basis with MR, and not with any of the publications I subscribe to, or any other site I visit.
That is strange. Things seem much better for me since the move to the new platform. Just the occasional issue. You do seem to report more than most. I assume you are using Safari?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
No I’m using Safari on either my Mac or iPhone/iPad.
I suppose you could try Firefox or Chrome to see if it works better for you.

Chrome is an absolute hog for resources.

Actually, I have used Firefox in the past (with success) when Safari didn't work - when accessing work emails when at home on a deployment a decade ago.

However, as this is the only site where this problem arises, I'm not sure that a special solution is entirely merited.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I've not noticed any slowdowns lately, but I have noticed the forums have been intermittently loading without https for me over the past couple weeks. Somtimes it's on, other times it's off.

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2019-12-25-at-9.27.14-PM.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2019-12-25-at-9.27.14-PM.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 149

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I've not noticed any slowdowns lately, but I have noticed the forums have been intermittently loading without https for me over the past couple weeks. Somtimes it's on, other times it's off.

I wonder if that's due to mixed content, i.e., the primary site URL is on SSL (HTTPS), but a specific resource (an image, CSS file, Javascript file, etc.), is linked via HTTP. In Chrome when this happens you get a similar error, but you can also open a detailed explanation dialog (or even a dev window), and get the specific resource causing the issue.

Reactions: CE3

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Odd. This shouldn’t be happening.

Reactions: CE3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.