Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
There's a lot of complaining threads right now (understandably so, given the issues), but for those of you who had no problems purchasing, activating, or using your new phone, post up some good cheer!

I got to the mall where the Apple store closest to my work is, at 6AM. No sign of another person at the door I was at, which is the closest to where the Apple store is inside the mall. The mall doors are locked. I see a security guard outside a few minutes later who when asked, tells me the mall isn't unlocked until 8am :-0. Another fellow walks up about 10 minutes later, who I tell this to. He decides to wait with me. A few minutes after that, a fellow comes up from inside the mall, and is cleaning the windows on the doors from inside. I talk to him for a minute, and he is confused, but lets us in, hehe. The other guy says he owes me a Washington for getting him in too. We go to where the Apple store is, and are #1 and #2 in line at 6:05AM. About 10 mintues later, two security guards come up and ask us if we're employees or customers. Upon hearing that we're customers, they told us about the huge line outside the mall at a different door, lol. They said we'd need to wait out there; bummer! Now I'm number 30 in line, hehe. Anyhow, they opened the doors at that entrance to the mall at 7am, and we funneled inside to the inner line. They gave us free Starbucks while we waited. At 8AM, the doors opened to cheers and high fives from the apple store employees, of which there were many! Had my phone in hand in about 2 minutes, gave my account info for sign up which took about 5 minutes, got activated in about 10 seconds, and was out the door about 18 minutes after I went in. The new phone is perfect, no yellow screen issues, etc, and is working fantastic!

pellucidity

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2003
US
Some will call this thread inane, but I had no problems. Met my dad in line, added him to my family plan, and we both walked out with new iPhones. I feel pretty good about the extra $15/m for 3G+SMS as I got $300 for my old phone - so no worries or doubts. Phone worked fine too, though I did see a guy with a DOA one. AT&T seemed happy to replace it, as he'd barely left the store.

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
No problems here in Florida :D 40th in line at 5am, but got my 1st choice and am trying to figure out how to work the thing now LOL

Damon Hill

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
Besides the long line, so far so good. In the process of restoring my iPhone from backup. :D

This is taking forever...the suspense is killing me!

03sho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
UK
No problems here in UK.

Btw I never get the G for GPRS like on the 1st gen iphone. Instead i get a big white dot. What's that all about?

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
So they were able to activate them for ya'll...there at the store? The apple store in Birmingham, Al was letting people leave with the plastic still on the boxes. :eek:

weatherman316

macrumors member
There's a lot of complaining threads right now (understandably so, given the issues), but for those of you who had no problems purchasing, activating, or using your new phone, post up some good cheer!

I got to the mall where the Apple store closest to my work is, at 6AM. No sign of another person at the door I was at, which is the closest to where the Apple store is inside the mall. The mall doors are locked. I see a security guard outside a few minutes later who when asked, tells me the mall isn't unlocked until 8am :-0. Another fellow walks up about 10 minutes later, who I tell this to. He decides to wait with me. A few minutes after that, a fellow comes up from inside the mall, and is cleaning the windows on the doors from inside. I talk to him for a minute, and he is confused, but lets us in, hehe. The other guy says he owes me a Washington for getting him in too. We go to where the Apple store is, and are #1 and #2 in line at 6:05AM. About 10 mintues later, two security guards come up and ask us if we're employees or customers. Upon hearing that we're customers, they told us about the huge line outside the mall at a different door, lol. They said we'd need to wait out there; bummer! Now I'm number 30 in line, hehe. Anyhow, they opened the doors at that entrance to the mall at 7am, and we funneled inside to the inner line. They gave us free Starbucks while we waited. At 8AM, the doors opened to cheers and high fives from the apple store employees, of which there were many! Had my phone in hand in about 2 minutes, gave my account info for sign up which took about 5 minutes, got activated in about 10 seconds, and was out the door about 18 minutes after I went in. The new phone is perfect, no yellow screen issues, etc, and is working fantastic!

Which mall did you go to, Twelve Oaks?

bobbba

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
Mine was delivered by courier at 7.40 this morning so I'm very happy with how it's worked out for me. The phone is great and the gps is better than I hoped.

slimchrisp

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008

no cheer here. just a big middle finger for apple and att. like an idiot i thought it would be fun to go wait in line for a new iphone. hours and hours later, as i try to pay, i am denied. i did the stupid ichecklist, but there was some kind of "glitch". apple said att had me as a corporate account in the system, and therefore i would need to go to an att store.. so, another wait as i get someone from att on the phone to talk to apple. att confirms that no, i don't have a corporate account. then another wait as i get to talk to a "genius". and by genius, mean someone who said, "yep, he doesn't have a corporate account. sorry, we can't sell it to you".

greeeeeeat business practice. my wife and i are standing there waving almost a thousand dollars in your face, and you can't sell me the phone. i go in late to work just for a stupid phone. i guess that's what i get. well, i've waited this long. so when does google's phone come out? either way, linux is here now. i'm done with f$cking apple now that they seem to have joined the "f%ck you" mentality of corporate america customer service.

Jase2008

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
Scotland UK
no probs here either

received my shiny new 16Gb iPhone, put my old sim in and away i ran

Updated my 1st gen iphone with firmware 2.0 , but had to finish when it asked enter a sim, so i couldnt really go any further than that, thats for the next person who buys it from me to do....:D

anyone got a good idea of an asking price for a 8Gb iPhone?

MAC-PRO-DEMON

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Up north in Yorkshire :)
Mine is legend and am having no problems, my mobile me is working and my calender is pushed along with my mail and contacts. The white is the best colour and I dont no why any one is complaining about it!

scotty56

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Oregon
After a little patience(which no one seems to have) I had NO problems, and im loving my apps!!

BTW people, quit blaming/yelling at Apple. I dont think any company's servers can handle millions of people rushing all at once to the same place. Give them credit that so many people have been able to download at all.

russelljtaylor

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2006
Me too!!!

I love my new iPhone, no problems, brought from a carphone warehouse store. The y only had 6 iPhones, and I was sixth inline!!!

Everything is just sweet, I d/loaded lots of apps, and they are pretty good. Just trying to get my head around Super Monkey Ball.

ballen420

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2008
South of Boston
I think the fact that only 11 people have posted in this thread is pretty telling.

And yes, I'm among those having problems.

no cheer here. just a big middle finger for apple and att.

I think you guys missed the title of the thread?? Maybe all those people who aren't posting in this thread are out enjoying their new phone??

Plenty of other threads to complain in. Not to mention that issues usually do occur when you coordinate the launch of a product in 22 countries that is dependent on servers.

Damon Hill

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
So they were able to activate them for ya'll...there at the store? The apple store in Birmingham, Al was letting people leave with the plastic still on the boxes. :eek:

When they first let me in they told me & the others that the iTunes activation was down and they couldnt unbrick the phones. When it got to be my turn I just begged the guy to try anyways, and it went through. So at best I think the activation is flaky. Way to go Apple.

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
I think the fact that only 11 people have posted in this thread is pretty telling.

And yes, I'm among those having problems.

You have to remember that those with WORKING iPhones are playing with them now not lurking HERE. :D

I hope to be one of the lucky ones. It is 5:15 am and I will shortly leave to get in line here on Kauai. I have a chair, umbrella, old iPhone with 2.0 and great games to kill the time.

Damon Hill

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
<------ Very jealous man. ;)

Congratulations on the new phones. I really want one in white!

I was set on a black one, and then I saw the white in person....very nice. So I went with white.

30 minutes in and still restoring. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
Actually, those of us having trouble getting our iPhones activated are taking a mental inventory of those of you not having any issues.

So when you look out your window and see the torch and pitchfork wielding mob, you'll know how we identified you.

Merlosso

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2008
No problems here either. Arrived a few minutes before 5 and was third in line at my local AT&T store. They didn't really know what they were doing for activation so it was a little slow but I got my phone. In fact, I'm using it right now! :D

Sync with iTunes was a breeze and I was happy to see that I could sync my contacts with my gmail contacts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.