The Hunger Games

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by obeygiant, Oct 28, 2011.

1. obeygiant, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

[​IMG]

I hoping this movie lives up to expectations. Anyone else amped to see this?

The Hunger Games

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I haven't read the books, but have heard nothing but good things about them. Not sure I'll see the movie.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I've read the books, and they were really good. But I don't think the movie will be that great, mainly because movies that have been made out of books usually aren't that great (unless it was all planned out in advance, like harry potter).

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Yeah, but there are a few exceptions. I don't know how good the Harry Potter book were, but the movies okay. Children of Men was a great book but blew chunks as a movie. Gawd, it was like comparing a beautiful woman to a drag queen. I would have enjoyed the movie IF I hadn't read the book first.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy is the only book(s) that turned out better in the movie version. Mostly because we were spared the linguistic lessons and Tolkien's writing style makes for some slooooow reading. It took me a month from Bilbo giving Frodo the One Ring to Gandalf's confrontation with the Balrog.

5. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

My girlfirned thought I would liek these books and put let me borrow them. i was never in the mood to start them, so it sat there for two eyars in my room.

Finally started reading them last week. First one was finished in 4 days, the second in 3 days. Ordering the third one and ill probably finish it in three days too. I was shocked at how well written these were. While the story strongly resembles the running man (more the book thant he movie), it actually focuses on pretty different themes and is getting into some much larger questions. I am super impressed.

I can't wait for these movies. This is something that should translate really well to film. Lots of emotion, lots of relevency, lots of action, people to love and hate, story arcs for several major characters. So long as they don't try to make it too "glossy", its going to be good.

6. Surely Guest

Surely

Seems like a pretty blatant ripoff of Battle Royale. Which was awesome.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

What about further back, The Running Man, by Steven King??

There are no "new" ideas. ;)

8. Surely Guest

Surely

Yes, I thought of that one as well (also The Long Walk by King), but Battle Royale is actually about kids being forced to kill each other with the survivor as the winner. That's what the Hunger Games is about. The Running Man was about having to survive against hired killers.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

True, I guess, for I have no knowledge of the Hunger Games.

But the common link is still the incessant need for bread and circuses, to amuse/misdirect a TV audience.

10. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I'm definitely going to see this, but I doubt it'll be anywhere near close as good as the books are. They'll have to take out a considerable amount of fighting scenes because that would easily make it an R movie, but that'll reject a decent amount of viewers, IMO. They'll have to make it PG-13.
    It is, but it's still a good series.

11. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

That's a great movie (and it has Kitano in it, which makes it even better).

Did you see Battle Royale 2? Slightly different slant on the whole thing - the kids are in pairs, and if one dies then the other is killed. (I haven't seen it - the reviews weren't quite as good).

OP - rent/buy Battle Royale! :)

12. greganpace macrumors regular

The books have a great story, but it was not written well. I feel like I am spoiled by great authors of fantasy books lately, but there were some parts where I could hear the author speaking and didn't feel like it fit. So I think there is potential for a good movie. The last book sucked because they took the political twist and the ending was just terrible, but because of the length, it would be hard to represent that in a movie, so I hope it gets cut out. They have casted very well though... Exactly how I imagined the characters.

13. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^Agreed.

The movie was very good, but the book was so much better (which is pretty usual for books made into movies).

I haven't seen part 2.....I didn't even know it existed. I'm not really sure if I want to see it based on what you've said. Don't want to tarnish the original!:p

14. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Jennifer Lawrence...that is all. I'll go just to see her running around the forest for 2 hours, I don't give a $#!*

15. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I've never seen this, I'm going to try to watch and get back to you. :)

16. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

They books were awesome. My wife gave them to me to read and I really like them. The potential for a great movie is there, it's all in how they execute it.

17. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Loved the books, geeked for the movie except for some of the odd casting choices.

Lenny Kravitz as Cinna is not at all what I was picturing. Cillian Murphy, who was also considered, fits the bill perfectly for me.

Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss? Again, not how I pictured her based on the descriptions in the book. Granted, she's hot, so I won't complain too loudly, but Katniss is younger, less super model-esque, etc. I wish Hailee Steinfeld were a couple of years older, she'd be good.

18. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

So excited! And I'm pleasantly surprised, Jennifer Lawrence looks the part of Katniss much better than I was expecting. Still not a fan of Lenny Kravitz as Cinna, though. March seems like forever away.

19. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I loved the books. I read them all in 5 or 6 days, and it only took that long because I had to take a break for the weekend. I agree that the story is VERY similar to Battle Royale but I enjoyed The Hunger Games all the same.

The still shot promos made me concerned Hollywood glossed it up too much but the trailer looks promising. Not exactly how I pictured things and people but still intriguing enough. I'm looking forward to seeing this.

20. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

I just finished the first book last week and am working my way through the second one now. Very much looking forward to the movie (and the remainder of the second and third boo).

21. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Ever read/ see Battle Royal?

Funny, here we have movies that glorify death of children (pointlessly I think), but if an honest movie about sexual activities of the same aged children all hell will break loose by religious elite. :eek: :mad:

22. Surely Guest

Surely

I decided to read the book because it was available as a free download in the Kindle Store (there is an Amazon Prime lending library.....you can borrow a book a month for free if you have Prime and own a Kindle).

It was a pretty easy read....I think I finished it in a week, and only read for about an hour a day.

My take on it was that it was good, but not great. I enjoyed Battle Royale more.....I feel that it had a deeper, more developed story.

I can see how a movie would be good, but I doubt they'll make it as violent/graphic as it should be.

23. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

That's your example of a well-adapted book? :eek:

Just bought the book, looking forward to reading it. I generally find movies adapted from books don't do them justice (though there are exceptions, like Lord of the Rings and The Godfather), but if I enjoy the book I'll give the movie a chance. :) The trailer makes it look decent, at least.

24. Surely Guest

Surely

Finally watched the trailer. It looks good, actually.

I'm glad I didn't watch it until I finished the book......