Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
Retiring my 6 year old MacBook from everyday use.

Screen_Shot_2015_01_19_at_3_37_45_PM.png

Probably check out a RAM upgrade after the machine arrives and we get all setup.

TCrowe

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2014
Glen Ellen, CA.
It's Here

Look folks, I am 66 years old and barely lived through an illness last year. This iMac getting here a day early is like the first great Christmas I remember. If I seem giddy, I am. I've had a lot of computers and never felt this way about any of them. They were all just another tool.

Thanks for the help and advice for as long as I have been a member here.This is a great group to belong to. I plan to be here a long time. TCrowe

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Look folks, I am 66 years old and barely lived through an illness last year. This iMac getting here a day early is like the first great Christmas I remember. If I seem giddy, I am. I've had a lot of computers and never felt this way about any of them. They were all just another tool.

Thanks for the help and advice for as long as I have been a member here.This is a great group to belong to. I plan to be here a long time. TCrowe

Enjoy it my friend. I completely understand your excitement. Iv'e had my 5K for a few weeks now, and I'm still a bit giddy. :D

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012

Hey Mr. Crowe, we're in a similar situation! I just got my new iMac about a week before Xmas this year after having to stay in bed for three months due to cancer surgery. I'm (hopefully) all better now, but still recovering from the surgery itself.

AND, congratulations on surviving! We're all glad you did.

(And, we're neighbors! I live in Guerneville, work in Santa Rosa.)

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2015
I know the feeling. Buying my iMac was the best and worst rolled up into one. I hated the time trying to decide what i really needed over what i simply just wanted. Boil it down to what I can afford and what i can't afford not to.

Then you sit and wait. They say 2-3 days, but that quickly turned into 4-5. Then you have a weekend, then on Sunday after dinner you get the email that the unit has shipped with arrival of Tueday end of day.

Great, but being smart you check the tracking on Monday to make sure everything is fine to see it is already on the truck for delivery and you get it by noon.

What a rollercoaster. Now it's sitting there, you have nothing but smiles as it simply just works right.

eucsstamticc

macrumors member
May 4, 2010
Texas
I just bought my first iMac.

I first bought a MBP back in 2010 when I was tired of windows and their crappy computers that come along with it.

I loved my MBP 17" and when I started traveling overseas for work I switched to a Mac Air 13" and never looked back. A family member uses the MBP 17" and it still runs like the day I bought it. My Mac Air is amazing but I have started back in school finishing my Associates in June and will be moving on to start my B.S. in Psychology to then further progress into graduate level neuroscience so I took the plunge and opted for a desktop. I wrote a couple papers on one at a friends house and fell head over heels for it, it was a 2013 base model 27in.

I purchased a 5K iMac BTO with the following:
4.0GHz QC i7 Turboboost 4.4GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB
1TB Fusion Dr (1TB+128GBFlash)
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5
APPLE MAGIC MOUSE
Apple Num Kybd (English)+UG

I also ordered 2-16gb RAM kits from Crucial.com to bump up to the 32gb RAM. I am happy with my purchase I know I will get plenty of years and work out of it with probably never pushing its hardware to the max. I opted for the upgrades because if I didn't I knew I would kick myself lol..

I ordered in the evening of 19 January 2015 CST, and it went to Shipped this morning with UPS reporting a delivery date of 26 January 2015 so if there are no hiccups it should be 1week from order to receiving it.

Oh and side note I saw Yahoo News posted an article on FB about how Microsoft is giving out Windows 10 to anyone with Windows 8 and 8.1 (where is 9?? LOL) and the comments section is full of nothing but pissed off windows users screaming for their start button back and what not hahahaha

I'll update and post pics of my home set up when it comes.

AR86

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2014
Nice spec, i'll be getting the same one just with a pure 256gb off SSD as opposed to the 1tb fusion drive, hope you enjoy and let us know how you get on with it.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That is pure enjoyment. Your iMac will likely last you a very long time. It is remarkable how much longer my Macs seemed to have lasted over any Windows machine I built or bought.

eucsstamticc

macrumors member
May 4, 2010
Texas
Nice spec, i'll be getting the same one just with a pure 256gb off SSD as opposed to the 1tb fusion drive, hope you enjoy and let us know how you get on with it.

Ya know I thought long and hard about that since the 1TB Fusion was the same price as the 256gb. I came to the conclusion of the 1TB Fusion for the following reason:
1TB Fusion is actually 128gb SSD & 1TB SATA. So I can get half of the 256gb SSD plus a full TB of storage.. for the same price.. pretty good deal to me. :)

I will definitely update and provide some pictures of my setup..

Also looking forward to getting some of my GoPro Hero 4 Black 4k video on this thing to play around :D

----------

That is pure enjoyment. Your iMac will likely last you a very long time. It is remarkable how much longer my Macs seemed to have lasted over any Windows machine I built or bought.

every windows based laptop I had started to fall apart at the seams, literally, of the screen. plus after switching to Mac the plastic on the other brands laptops just looks.... (for a lack of better words) trashy.... :(

BlakeBrattina

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2011
Bay City, MI
I know the feeling. Buying my iMac was the best and worst rolled up into one. I hated the time trying to decide what i really needed over what i simply just wanted. Boil it down to what I can afford and what i can't afford not to.

Then you sit and wait. They say 2-3 days, but that quickly turned into 4-5. Then you have a weekend, then on Sunday after dinner you get the email that the unit has shipped with arrival of Tueday end of day.

Great, but being smart you check the tracking on Monday to make sure everything is fine to see it is already on the truck for delivery and you get it by noon.

What a rollercoaster. Now it's sitting there, you have nothing but smiles as it simply just works right.

My RiMac just arrived yesterday after ordering it on Monday night, I was very impressed with the shipping process and communication via text for shipping updates.

Enjoy what you get, I certainly will!

atomx66

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2015
Los Angeles
This is a duplicate post from another topic, but I thought people looking for a good price might find this useful.

I just bought mine from Adorama and it was a good experience.

I got the 27", 3.5 GHz i7, 8GB, 512 Flash, GTX 780m.

Through Apple: $2,849.

Through Adorama, I got the same machine for $2,726.05 with free three-year Apple-care.

Last edited:

fjodd

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2015
Bergen, Norway
First post on this forum!

Just ordered my first iMac. I already have a MacBook Pro.

iMac Retina
Intel Core i7
8 gb RAM (will bump up to 24 gb manually)
256 gb flashdrive
M290X GPU
Apple Trackpad

Can´t wait!

dan57

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2015
East Brunswick, NJ
New to forum. First post here. After many decades of pc's and windows (even going back so far as using msdos) I have recently purchased a iMac Retina. Big learning curve, but loving it so for.

I am an accomplished hobbyist photographer, and this is one of the appeals of the retina.

I purchased at the Apple store. They gave me a 10% discount to come close to matching Adorama's price.

eucsstamticc

macrumors member
May 4, 2010
Texas
My RiMac just arrived yesterday after ordering it on Monday night, I was very impressed with the shipping process and communication via text for shipping updates.

Enjoy what you get, I certainly will!

I ordered my on Monday as well. Not due to get mine till next Monday.. Oh but wait...UPS updated with 'exception' plane delays :(

----------

I purchased at the Apple store. They gave me a 10% discount to come close to matching Adorama's price.

Nice! I did not think Apple would attempt to price match anyone! Well done. I believe someone else was asking if they would..

eucsstamticc

macrumors member
May 4, 2010
Texas
On a brighter note my 32gb of RAM from Crucial.com arrived today. Now I get to sit here and stare at it in all of its glory while my RAM and I wait for the iMac to join the party :)

picture.php

Last edited:

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
After several years of fighting my Hackintosh (for the money, it was worth it, but I've reached the point I just want it to work), I got "presidential" approval from the wife to get a RiMac. Opted for the i5, went with the 256GB SSD, and bumped the GPU to the 295X, all covered under AppleCare. Best Buy had a steal on 16GB of nice Corsair memory, so this beast will have 24 GB of RAM. Ordered just now, sadly going to be here week after next :(

eucsstamticc

macrumors member
May 4, 2010
Texas
After several years of fighting my Hackintosh (for the money, it was worth it, but I've reached the point I just want it to work), I got "presidential" approval from the wife to get a RiMac. Opted for the i5, went with the 256GB SSD, and bumped the GPU to the 295X, all covered under AppleCare. Best Buy had a steal on 16GB of nice Corsair memory, so this beast will have 24 GB of RAM. Ordered just now, sadly going to be here week after next :(

Well at least it is in the process of being on the way!

----------

Well today is the day.. hopefully.. with no complications.. Here is my UPS shipment progress if anyone cares.. I know I clicked refresh on the tracker a million times a day probably.

picture.php

I read a few different places where people were curious why an "import" scan in Kentucky and not Anchorage, and why does the package go through Kentucky.

My understanding is a 'world ease' shipment is a faster way to import a massive shipment from reputable companies... imagine if every iPhone that came on release day had to get individually inspected through customs...

Kentucky is UPS's "WorldPort" facility and most packages that come into the country or across country will inevitably go through there. There is a good documentary on youtube.. here is part 1 http://youtu.be/KWAwL3Rlbjo pretty interesting.

certsoft

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
John Day, OR
My late 2009 model iMac has a GPU problem so it's time for it to go. Looks like I'll be spending a couple of days doing gigabytes of downloads on my 512kb DSL. Just got a shipment notification:

imac2015.png

eucsstamticc

macrumors member
May 4, 2010
Texas
Finally got mine in on Monday... and I have been immersed since then...

My specs..
picture.php

I have been looking at iMacs since 2012 and pulled the trigger on this 5k iMac... I absolutely love it..

I am glad I upgraded the RAM to 32gb once I got it as I sit at a constant use of 9-10gbRAM with Safari, Spotify, iMessage and Pages running.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.