Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maj71303

macrumors regular
May 13, 2014
Maryland
First ever Mac I've Owned

I just ordered myself a 27" iMac yesterday

NVIDIA GeForce GTX780M 4GB GDDR5
3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5
16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X8GB
3TB Fusion Drive
Built-in FaceTime HD camera

Will be my first Mac I've ever owned. Last time I touched a mac was an old one in grade school in the 80's. I also picked up a 2014 Mini for the wife. Will have to learn all over again how to use Mac. Could of went for the new Retina 5k but I couldn't think up a need for it at that price so I decided to forgo an impulse purchase and just get what I might use.

IMO with barely 4k content out there and like miniscule support right now for even that I couldn't justify 5k. Sorry :apple: the bump up to a 5k display just isn't enough for me to go up to that level even with the money to do it.

Last edited:

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
I just ordered myself a 27" iMac yesterday

NVIDIA GeForce GTX780M 4GB GDDR5
3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5
16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X8GB
3TB Fusion Drive
Built-in FaceTime HD camera

Will be my first Mac I've ever owned. Last time I touched a mac was an old one in grade school in the 80's. I also picked up a 2014 Mini for the wife. Will have to learn all over again how to use Mac. Could of went for the new Retina 5k but I couldn't think up a need for it at that price so I decided to forgo an impulse purchase and just get what I might use.

IMO with barely 4k content out there and like miniscule support right now for even that I couldn't justify 5k. Sorry :apple: the bump up to a 5k display just isn't enough for me to go up to that level even with the money to do it.

Hmm...how much did you pay for the iMac?

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
Can I post what I will be ordering tomorrow- or do I have to actually wait until it's officially ordered?

sahib

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2014
UK
RiMac just been delivered!

Hey Guys,

I placed my order on 02/11/14 and almost a month later, received my new 5k iMac.

The spec is below.

4.0GHz QC i7 Turboboost 4.4GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2x8GB
512GB Flash Storage
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5
MAGIC TRACKPAD-Z
Apple WL Kybd+User's Guide-B
COUNTRY KIT-B

I'm currently setting up my OWC Raid 5 bay too.

If anyone wants me to test anything out on the RiMac, do let me know.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender1.jpg
    FullSizeRender1.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 101
  • FullSizeRender7.jpg
    FullSizeRender7.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0328.jpg
    IMG_0328.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 101

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
I just ordered my very first Apple computer! Woooooohooooo!

Retina 5k iMac
4.0 i7
16GB RAM
1TB Flash Storage
Radeon M295X
Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad
AppleCare

The salesman said that I could get it by Dec 24 because the Apple Business division had more available configurations-but I'm not holding my breath.

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
Just placed this order today, 12/2/14:

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display
• 4.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
• 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x8GB
• 1TB Flash Storage
• AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5
• Apple Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad
• Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
I just ordered the following:
iMac 27" Retina, 3.5Ghz, 1TB Flashdrive, 8GB ram. Gosh Apple can charge good for flash storage.

It's replacing a 2011 iMac 27" with a 2TB hard drive which is slow as molasses when running Aperture or whatever.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Just ordered a 5K iMac and 32GB RAM from Crucial. Let's hope it gets here before Christmas! :D

image.jpg

OlexandrIgnatov

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2014
Just ordered a 5K iMac and 32GB RAM from Crucial. Let's hope it gets here before Christmas! :D

Ordered mine on 23 Nov, est delivery is Dec 17-23.

Did they charged you or hold your funds just right after your order? Mine is still in a 'processing items' stage and money were not charged yet.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Ordered mine on 23 Nov, est delivery is Dec 17-23.

Did they charged you or hold your funds just right after your order? Mine is still in a 'processing items' stage and money were not charged yet.

Not charged yet. Ordered from the education store, though doubt that makes a difference.

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2009
just received my new r27" iMac tonight. Going to bed as I am too tired to set it up but imagine i will be up early to do so :)

I got the base 1TB Fusion version as it was being offered for $250 less on Black Friday.

Looking forward to setting it up in the morning :)

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2009
I've been really to busy to do it and just unpacked it a few hours ago, and then had to go out so home now........so far I LOVE the screen.

That is as far as I have got.
LOL
Sorry wish I could tell you more and will as soon as i can.
I hope to have time tonight although I have to go ask a question abut backing it up first in another thread.
Once I attend to that, I will have a better look around at it

But so far, pretty awesome :)

mgb1120

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
I've been really to busy to do it and just unpacked it a few hours ago, and then had to go out so home now........so far I LOVE the screen.

That is as far as I have got.
LOL
Sorry wish I could tell you more and will as soon as i can.
I hope to have time tonight although I have to go ask a question abut backing it up first in another thread.
Once I attend to that, I will have a better look around at it

But so far, pretty awesome :)

Nice! Enjoy it!

mgb1120

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Just got mine and it's nicked in the corner
What should I do?? Worth trying to get a replacement? Probably would regret not getting a replacement, it's a $3300 machine thats nicked out of box Screen looks ok

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 135
Last edited:

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
What should I do?? Worth trying to get a replacement? Probably would regret not getting a replacement, it's a $3300 machine thats nicked out of box Screen looks ok

Seriously you would consider returning it for that. If you bought it directly from Apple you can return or exchange within 14 days however for such a small insignifgant nick I'd forget it. But then again I'm not the one that just dropped $3300.

mgb1120

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Seriously you would consider returning it for that. If you bought it directly from Apple you can return or exchange within 14 days however for such a small insignifgant nick I'd forget it. But then again I'm not the one that just dropped $3300.

Yeah I know maybe I'm being silly, nothing's perfect I should just enjoy it! #

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013

If it was on the front I would say yes, but if the machine has a quiet fan and the screen is good, I would keep it.

mgb1120

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
If it was on the front I would say yes, but if the machine has a quiet fan and the screen is good, I would keep it.

Yeah it's on the front, fan is actually noisy should it not be? Defiantly can hear it seems louder then my 2009 iMac, this may be a silly question but the replacement they send you is
Not a refurb since it's a special configuration right?

Last edited:

breiti

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
Yeah I know maybe I'm being silly, nothing's perfect I should just enjoy it! #

I would return it. Just for the reason that Apple knows, that something like this obvious slipped through their QA. Let alone for the reason, that for this much money, i wouldn't accept a mac with a scratch like this. An iMac is standing on the desktop all the time, so the chance of adding own scratches is small so it's more annoying than on a laptop where the chances are much much higher that you will add your own scratches (but even than i would return it).

You will also think that if you sell this iMac, you may loose many potential buyers because others may not just "enjoy" it.

mgb1120

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
I would return it. Just for the reason that Apple knows, that something like this obvious slipped through their QA. Let alone for the reason, that for this much money, i wouldn't accept a mac with a scratch like this. An iMac is standing on the desktop all the time, so the chance of adding own scratches is small so it's more annoying than on a laptop where the chances are much much higher that you will add your own scratches (but even than i would return it).

You will also think that if you sell this iMac, you may loose many potential buyers because others may not just "enjoy" it.

Yeah I set up an replacement today, was really bothering me, it's a gouge in the aluminum more then a scratch, worried the replacement won't be a refurb, but it's a custom order, it won't be a "refurb" right?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.