**The I returned my Iphone 4 Thread***

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by econoar, Jun 25, 2010.

1. econoar macrumors regular

I just got back from "returning" my iPhone 4. I put it in quotes only because I still have to ship it in since I bought it on apple.com I went into the store and many reps attempted to convince me to keep it multiple times. I told them that thousands of people online were having the same issue and they claimed to have no heard anything. When I told them it was on NYTimes, CNN, Engadget, etc. they rushed to a macbook in the store to look. I was then told that they were told that a software fix would come out to fix the problem which is the bars just showing up wrong on the UI. I told them it was BS and showed them speed tests that proved it is more than just the bars on the screen. I then told them about Jobs response to "just hold it differently" and they were unaware of that as well, and immediately looked on apple's PR site. Now, I truly do believe that they were playing dumb in order to convince me that it was no big deal.

Since I couldn't return in store, I had to go over to AT&T and have them switch my sim activation back to my 3GS. My iPhone 4 is now inactive and AT&T told me that when Apple receives it, my new 2 year contract will be killed with no fee. If it isn't, I just need to show AT&T proof of return.

I have tried the exact same "death grip" on my 3GS that was killing my iPhone 4's signal, in the EXACT same location as my 4, and it does not kill any bars on my 3GS.

There is no fix coming to the hardware itself according to the apple store.

2. econoar thread starter macrumors regular

There was a guy behind me in line that had dropped his phone out of his pocket while sitting down and the glass was shattered on the front. The manager told him "this is the strongest glass ever...".

:confused:

3. LimeyBastard macrumors regular

4. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

To me it seems clear that this was a problem that was realized late in the iPhone 4 development phase. It was obviously far enough along that fixing the problem would have resulted in very (probably tens of millions of $) expensive changes to the huge-scale production processes involved. It might have also delayed the launch - which could have even been worse PR.

Instead, I'm guessing Apple management agreed to go ahead with the faulty design and come out with a case to mitigate the problems and brace their PR team for impact.

Coming from a potential customer still on the fence about the iPhone 4, it seems like a problem that I will consciously have to invoke (I am a righty) for it to really affect its day to day performance. While I would prefer to carry my hypothetical iPhone without a case and just a film screen protector, I would just go for a bumper or similar case if the reception truly proved to be an issue.

All that being said, I think it was unprofessional of the Apple store employees to do anything other than kindly take the phone back or help you with the return process.

5. iphoneguy123 macrumors regular

I'm returning mine as well. Two questions.

Did you pay a restocking fee?
    Is your ATT eligibility reset?

6. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

Solution: don't drop your phone.

7. ducktales macrumors regular

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

because everyone who drops it clearly intends to drop it....:rolleyes:

gimme a break

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Of course, because the antenna was relocated in the iphone 4. All things being equal, are you returning it because of this issue or are unhappy with the phone in general.

10. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I applaud you for not settling for less and being a Leader!

unlike many, I paid almost full price for mine. no upgrade. I want to get what I pay for. (A Quality APL Product) Not some Scotch Taped Rigged BS.

11. tritonj macrumors 6502a

wow, so now your local apple store is the authority on what apple corporate is planning to do with regards to the reception issue some users are having? this just gets funnier every day.

sorry to hear you didn't like the iphone 4 and good for you to return it, but i wouldn't necessarily believe what the apple store has to say on the subject, considering the story just came out yesterday i doubt even corporate has developed their full plan of action yet

12. econoar thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure on restoking fee yet since I have to return it through mail.

ATT does reset your eligability once they have proof that the phone is returned. That is right from them.

13. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

Your story is as magical as it is revolutionary! Steve will like it! Email him!

14. econoar thread starter macrumors regular

A bit of both. The antenna thing is a huge deal for me, and the extra features over the 3GS don't offset the annoyance of this issue. You shouldn't have to mask a problem on such an expensive phone. It should come out of the box functioning correctly.

I've owned every iPhone and admittedly have been a fanboy at times, but Jobs' and Apple's response to this issue so far has me very much considering a switch to the Droid X when it releases. I actually walked into the Verizon store with the iPhone 4 box in hand and was told they have had many people come in frustrated with the new iP4.

15. dagored macrumors 65816

Wow, man too bad this happened.

I am coming over from Verizon and must be one of the lucky ones. My phone is great. My wife and I each got one. Have not found a problem yet.

16. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

I have had an iPhone since the 2007. I have yet to drop it (first gen, 3g, 3gs and 4). I haven't had a difficult time holding onto my phone. If that means you have to be careful, be careful, as one should with an expensive item made of glass. That would be like people getting pissed when their car gets dents after running into something. The only solution to not getting dents is not running into things.

So you sir, give me a break.

17. WHM macrumors regular

Sorry... bye.. my signal icon comes and goes but have talked...text..and emailed on day and not a lost connection or dropped call.. by the way phone is BEAUTIFUL

18. econoar thread starter macrumors regular

That's good. Where are you located? I have a feeling that it has to do with the signal strength where you are. Where I work and live gets weaker signal than when outside downtown, so I drop data and calls at work and home, but not when I'm walking around downtown or at the mall (AT&T and Apple store)

19. LimeyBastard macrumors regular

:D Hilarious!

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

My point is no one EVER decides they want to drop it jeebus

FWIW, I have never dropped my iphone/ipod touch in the 3 years I have had them but unlike you, realize accidents happen

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have an iPhone 4 on order for my wife, and I'm a little concerned. I am wondering how many people will be returning the phone because of this.

Some reports are stating that the apple sold 1.6 million iPhones, and if 10 or 20% return them, that will be a huge hit.

I think with the increased competition, apple has less wiggle room when comes to mistakes. Their response to this seems to indicate that they're not taking the competition serious, by brushing off people's concerns and anger by telling them to spend another 30 bucks to by a bumper to fix the issue (which it probably won't fix).

22. econoar thread starter macrumors regular

Ya, and I think the main thing is that the claim of 30x stronger than plastic, strongest glass ever, is obviously BS.

23. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

Touche. Accidents do happen, I agree. But people obviously have already dropped them, my suggested solution isn't working well anyways. :D

24. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

the 3gs does the same thing and so will any phone with a metal housing.