Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tired_Of_The_9-5

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2017
Limbo
This is exactly why I'm returning mine.

I've had it for about 2 days now. I am not impressed by the screen. I've played with Samsung phones and their screens are still way better. I don't think the X screen is that much better than my 7+ It is not $1000 good.

Face ID works for the most part but there are still too many instances when it doesn't work and I hardly have that issue with Touch ID. Touch ID will only not work when I'm still wet from the shower. Other than that it is great. I leave my phone on my desk at work and just use Touch ID all the time. It does not work for me with Face ID. That is a major pain in the arse.

The screen is too small compared to my 7+ It's just too narrow. All you are getting is height. Compared to my 7+ you're getting less screen. If I wanted that small of a screen I would just get a regular 8 not the X.

In conclusion, I have a paid off 7+ and this is not worth the $1,000 upgrade. I'll be returning and going back to my 7+ and save some money and hope that Apple gets it right next year. I'm just not impressed. I was expecting more for a $1,000 phone.
It’s post like these that really make me think that most of the people in this thread are either trolling or spent money that they shouldn’t have in the first place, but yet are blaming the iPhone X. Looking for “shortcomings”

Saying “I’m returning my X, because it’s too small in my hands” makes perfect sense

Saying “I’m returning my X because it’s not worth $1000” makes no sense

There is not a single phone on the market that’s worth it’s asking price, first of all.

Secondly, it’s been stated by countless articles, reviews & tech enthusiast that the IPhone X has one of the best OLED screens available on a phone to date...so saying it doesn’t look as good as android devices is purely subjective.

Finally, you do realize that the iPhone X will be the standard going forward right?

Touch ID is gone.
The LCD screens from your 7+ are gone.

Reactions: rmeadejr and Zune55

glhughes

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2009

I thought I was the only one that noticed this. I find this annoying too and I feel it every time I pick up or put down the phone. It's only sharp on the left side and top/bottom of my phone (front and back). I have noticed it to some extent with demo units although I think mine is a bit worse. My 7 and 6s also have the same issue with the front glass, but my hands don't rest on that area normally so it's not noticeable during use. Also with the X I am always swiping up across the bottom transition to go home or switch apps which is not how you use earlier phones.

Definitely detracts from the quality feel of the phone.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Why wouldn't they? They sell Apple watches priced at $1000 or more.
Those watches don’t sell particularly well in comparison to the £380 aluminium version though. If Apple changed the pricing of their main competitive iPhone to £1500, they’d see a massive drop in sales. Apple have had huge success with the iPhone because it’s used by over a hundred million people worldwide. Charging silly money for it suddenly will just reduce their user base and that’s counterproductive.

TinyTempo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2010

Why not? This statement makes no sense, sorry. If I pay a certain amount for an item, but feel that the value (e.g. build quality) and user experience does not justify that price, it is perfectly valid to return the item.

There is not a single phone on the market that’s worth it’s asking price, first of all.

This statement is nonsense, too. Because it's an entirely subjective matter if something is worth the asking price or not.

Finally, you do realize that the iPhone X will be the standard going forward right?

That is a fact, of course. But I am pretty sure future iterations of the X (XI?) will have less issues than the current one.

Reactions: Aydy and pippakay

glhughes

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2009
And the OP mentioned the phone has sharp edges where the glass and the as band meet.....he/she had better be designer with maticulus expectations. Because other wise that’s just be obsessive for no reason.

The word is 'meticulous', BTW.

It's not obsessive -- I noticed it as well. On my phone I feel it on the back whenever I pick it up or put it down. It takes away from the quality feel of the device and it is annoying. Is it annoying enough to return it? For me, probably not. But it's a step down in the feel of the phone vs. the 6/6s/7.

Reactions: TinyTempo

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
Relax There are a loads of people who just got caught up in the frenzy and will inevitably return the phone because they don't need it or can't afford it.

The hype is like a black hole. So these threads, and ones like it will continue, and people will either have legitimate complaints or not.

Reactions: Tired_Of_The_9-5

RedRage00

Suspended
Oct 30, 2017
It’s post like these that really make me think that most of the people in this thread are either trolling or spent money that they shouldn’t have in the first place, but yet are blaming the iPhone X. Looking for “shortcomings”

Saying “I’m returning my X, because it’s too small in my hands” makes perfect sense

Secondly, it’s been stated by countless articles, reviews & tech enthusiast that the IPhone X has one of the best OLED screens available on a phone to date...so saying it doesn’t look as good as android devices is purely subjective.

Touch ID is gone.

If the iPhone X is standard going forward then I guess my 7+ will be my last iPhone lol....But I'm pretty sure Apple will fix some issues that people don't like.

Maybe I shouldn't have said it's not worth $1,000....it's just not really a huge difference from my 7 Plus. Not worth an upgrade. JMO

No big deal. People like what they like.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal

Touch ID is gone.
I don’t care what the reviews say. I’ve had almost all the phones... With about a half hour of me comparing 8+ and X in the store there was nothing about the X screen that stood out. I compared apps, video, home screen, etc. I was surprised but the X looked no better than my 8+. Maybe there are specific use cases where it does but color me unimpressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedRage00

RedRage00

Suspended
Oct 30, 2017
I don’t care what the reviews say. I’ve had almost all the phones... With about a half hour of me comparing 8+ and X in the store there was nothing about the X screen that stood out. I compared apps, video, home screen, etc. I was surprised but the X looked no better than my 8+. Maybe there are specific use cases where it does but color me unimpressed.

Yup, I put the X next to my 7 Plus and tried hard to see what was the difference with the screen. I wasn't impressed. It may have been slightly better but nothing worth upgrading. Losing a lot of screen with the X. It's tiny.

If they would have made the 7 Plus/8 Plus size phone with an entire screen then maybe I would have gotten it. I'll wait until they make an X Plus model next year....hopefully!

Christi_C

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Reno, Nevada
Well if you can’t adapt to Apple’s policy or the app users for their convince then maybe you should pull your app off the store or just let it fail. I wouldn’t provide business to a developer who refuses to updates. I’m not a fan of the notch but adapting is probably a good idea for the iPhone X users.

Seriously! Don’t people take pride in their work anymore? Your telling a major device which has millions upon millions of users isn’t worth a bit of tweaking for optimal presentation? I could understand if this is wasn’t the iPhone X we were talking about or even flagship android phones and was a lesser used device with a smaller user base. But the iPhone X?! This is just lazy and I would move to a competitor app if possible just because of the ideology expressed here.

Have some pride people! This is the product of your hard work sweat and tears you are talking about and it’s going to not going to make use of all the screen available to you?

UNACCEPTABLE.

Reactions: rmeadejr

Christi_C

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Reno, Nevada
Yes, and I (app developer) and my company won't update our games unless Apple forces us to. Right now they work with black borders on the sides to preserve the proper screen ratio intended for them, and that looks good enough for us. We won't invest the time to adjust it to the X's screen unless we are forced to. The notch was really a terrible design decision (from the developer's standpoint)...

The ironic thing is you produce games and you don’t want to do your best to produce an immersive experience for your users. Sad really.

Reactions: rmeadejr

pippakay

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2009
i took mine back today. i was happier to leave with the iPhone 7 i'd traded in yesterday (amazingly, was still in the store) than i was with the X. really a bummer, as i was excited about the new tech, until i opened it. in fairness, i guess i didn't do enough homework, but...i was disappointed from the moment i opened the box. i've never had that experience with an apple product before, and hope i don't ever again.

that said, i didn't miss the home button at all, took just a few moments to get used to tapping the screen to wake it...but it just wasn't for me. i'm leery of face id, although it worked flawlessly. i thought the phone was heavy (i know, it's not really) and i didn't like the slightly sharp feel of the bezel to the screen. the notch didn't bother me. the camera bump on the back did.

also, if i'm being really honest, i like my white one...a silver back and black bezel just wasn't what i was looking for.

on the other hand, now that i have my 7 back, i'm back to loving my phone, and i saved over a thousand bucks. that's a good day.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
The only think I do like about the "X" is the face-ID. I find it remarkable. Other then that I don't find it any better than just about any other phone out there. I prefer the screen size of the 8+ and may switch back. Not sure ..... but I think it's far from "revolutionary."
That's because FaceID is the only new function on the X, other than cosmetic things.

Reactions: pippakay

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
The ironic thing is you produce games and you don’t want to do your best to produce an immersive experience for your users. Sad really.

Apple are the ones at fault here for developing a new phone which is forcing app developers to modify their app for the iphoneX which means they have to run two versions of their app, iphoneX and all other iphones, because the app for iphoneX will look differently on phones that don't have the notch.

Therefore this has nothing to do with app developers being lazy but everything to do with Apple ignoring the app developers. Without the app developers, the iphoneX and all other iphones are nothing. No apps, phone is worthless.

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
Apple are the ones at fault here for developing a new phone which is forcing app developers to modify their app for the iphoneX which means they have to run two versions of their app, iphoneX and all other iphones, because the app for iphoneX will look differently on phones that don't have the notch.

Therefore this has nothing to do with app developers being lazy but everything to do with Apple ignoring the app developers. Without the app developers, the iphoneX and all other iphones are nothing. No apps, phone is worthless.
Developers have already said that Apple has made it incredibly easy to update apps for the iPhone X. Many, many, many apps have already been updated as well. It’s a non-issue.

Reactions: rmeadejr and jgelin

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL

With all the development tools for layout, and the ability to easily set the same constraints and spacing based on points I really don’t get why this is such a strenuous task?
2 WHOLE different layouts!
Try android development and have to accommodate for all the other screen sizes and layout options they have. :rolleyes:

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Developers have already said that Apple has made it incredibly easy to update apps for the iPhone X. Many, many, many apps have already been updated as well. It’s a non-issue.

Apple said everything about the iphoneX was wonderful and brilliant. Many posts from actual buyers disprove this and thus i do not believe everything Apple says

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
What did you think was gonna happen?
Apple was going to slide you a check like your Netflix or YouTube? And Pay you handsomely for working overtime to adapt the new design?
Yeah, no.
If you’re a small time App developer, adapting to the iPhone X is basically Volunteer work.

And don’t worry, Apple is NOT going to force you to do anything...I doubt they even realize your app exist

Touch ID is gone.
apple has perfected LCD screens so I wouldn’t be so sure about them being gone just yet!

mrmister

Suspended
Dec 19, 2008
"Touch ID is gone.
The LCD screens from your 7+ are gone."

Actually, you can buy phones from Apple with Touch ID and LCD screens right now.

Reactions: Wyckham

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
Apple said everything about the iphoneX was wonderful and brilliant. Many posts from actual buyers disprove this and thus i do not believe everything Apple says
Reading comprehension stumble there? I didn’t say anything about claims made by Apple. Read it again. Pay special attention to the word, “developers.”

P.S. - posts here prove nothing. It’s a forum that many people visit for the sole purpose of reporting an issue they are experiencing. The reports of concerns on this forum likely represent only a fraction of 1% of all the iPhone X devices sold thus far. Comments on an Internet forum are never a solid sample group from which you can reach conclusions about such things.

Reactions: rmeadejr and jgelin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.