iPhone X The "I will return my iPhone X" - Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TinyTempo, Nov 3, 2017.

1. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

You can call and get it put on over the phone.

2. Hoosier317 macrumors 6502a

Hoosier317

Why would you return it? You can purchase Apple care within 60 days or purchase.

3. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

Got you .. That’s what I’ll do then

4. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502a

OriginalAppleGuy

I have to say, this has been an enjoyable thread to read. Interesting reading of the various opinions and seeing how people think.

I've been on the fence with getting the X. Coming from the 7+ and used to the screen size, I'm not sure the X will work for me. Aside from that, I do wish I had stabilization on the 2nd rear camera.

5. stonerwinst macrumors member

Just want to report back on returning the X. I went to the Apple store in Manhattan Beach and the return was easy. They just check the phone serial and credit goes right back to the CC. I keep the sim card. In out in 5 minutes.

The store on the other hand was crowded. Mall was dead. It seems like everyone who goes to the mall go for the Apple store.

6. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

A step down really.....? The phone isn’t going to cut you.

7. mobidutch macrumors member

In my experience you can further 'train' TouchID in the settings area after you have added a finger. Keep moving your fingers around more than in the initial training, and it will start learning and recognizing a bigger area of your finger (the learned fingerprint lights up when it accepts a new "section" of your finger). And in my experience you can do that with wet fingers as well.

8. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

TouchID trains itself every time you use it. There is no need to play around in the settings menu.

9. cheekyjeremy, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017

cheekyjeremy macrumors 6502

While I love my new X, and have no intention of returning it, I will say that there are a number of things that are maybe not quite up to the usual experience I expect from apple.

Screen
    Like others, I was originally bothered by how yellow the screen was. It becomes very evident during the setup phase as you have your old phone (7+) and new X right beside each other. When I only have the X around, I barely notice the yellow as there is no contrasting device beside it, but none the less, whether the yellow bothers you or not, it is still there (Yes, I turned TT off). While I like the new screen quality in general (sharpness etc), it is barely a noticeable improvement over the 7+. I was expecting to notice the difference more than I did.

Speed
    I am not really noticing any relevant performance boost over my 7+. Again, this doesn’t matter much as I didn’t really need a performance boost, but none the less, I am used to experiencing a bit of a boost with each new model.

Workarounds for no home button
    1) Some of the “adjustments” are fine, some better and some worse. I am used to, and like the swipe up for everything, but with this becoming the core gesture of choice, the access to control panel is no longer as much of a short cut. Control panel by nature was designed to be a quick short cut to some often used controls. With it now coming from the top right of the device, it is no longer as quick access as you now need to remove your hand from the device to go up and swipe down. Does it matter ?, not really, but access to control panel (for me at least) is now almost not worth doing.

It’s not an improvement to no longer see the battery %, or to no longer see if you are on WiFi calling,

The click once for this, twice for that side buttons etc are not quite as intuitive as previous apple mechanics. It works, but not quite as “it just works” as I have come to expect from apple.

2. Camera Access - As with above, I access my camera from the control panel swipe up, as this is now gone, I needed to return the camera app to the front page.

3. Screengrab is no longer as intuitive to me, but I will hold off judgement for a while as it may become the new normal once I am used to it.

4. What is the short cut for forcing a respring now. If an app or the phone in general is either spinning or locked up, how do we now resolve that ?. It used to be on/off button, then hold down the home button. What is it now ?

Notch
    While It doesn’t bother me much, No one can say that this is an aesthetically pleasing improvement.

Keyboard
    There is a lot of wasted space added with the keyboard. The phone picks up all this extra real estate and left for the most part blank at the bottom when typing. Again, not very apple, but not a big deal

Size
    While I knew I was getting a smaller phone, it did not cross my mind that with it being a smaller phone, the software treats it like a smaller phone, and with that, the landscape view on numerous apps is no longer there. Not a complaint, just an observation

Camera
    Other than the quick access to it, the camera is an improvement for sure. Front Cam access to portrait is nice too.

Face ID
    I like it. While it’s not 100% there, its certainly close enough. I am swiping as I pickup the device (before looking at the phone). This makes it a seamless one step process rather than looking at the phone, then swiping etc. I was having a little trouble with the face ID in the dark when laying down in bed. Even with it straight in front of my face (but it facing down), it comes and goes. Not a huge problem, but not quite “it just works”.

User experience has been the bedrock of apple success. Samsung can spout all they want about faster processors and more ram, but if my iPhone works smoother (and in most cases) faster than the Samsung, then it’s just numbers.

I don’t feel like the user experience a) improved much over the series 7 phones (never mind the 8’s) and b) in some ways went a little backwards. There is no doubt that we’ve been using mostly the same gestures etc for many years and now they are second nature, so it is entirely possible that a month from now I’ll revisit the user experience issue.

Bottom Line
    This phone is being sold as the Flagship device for Apple. I am not sure (yet) that it is an improvement or at best a significant improvement over the 7’s or 8’s enough to be held out front as the flagship item.

Cost
    The money is not an issue for me, but it is one that people sort of misrepresent. Oooohh, a $1000 phone, but the old phones were $700-800 odd dollars, so while it’s more, it’s hardly a big deal.

10. Texas12345 macrumors newbie

Sorry to say returning my X. My brother and I same complaints. The narrow screen size is a killer on this phone coming from plus size. The X reminds of the days to zoom in when wanting to click on certain areas on websites!! Emails cutting off text to accommodate form factor. Not so with the plus size phones. I’m sure with Apple fashion they will be releasing a plus size phone next go around. I normally keep all new releases for new tech, but sadly this one is going back!!

11. glhughes macrumors regular

... yes?

I didn't say it was going to cut me. I said it doesn't feel as smooth as the 6/6s/7. I'd prefer that it did. So to me that is a step down in build quality.

Not sure why you are getting so defensive about this. That is just the way it is with the construction of the X.

12. TinyTempo, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017

TinyTempo thread starter macrumors newbie

1) It does cost time, and time is very valuable, even if it's just a day. 2) It looks crap for a landscape app, it's as simple as that. We rather want our games to have black borders on both sides than this notch thing on the left. And our whole design team shares that opinion.

Again, if we'd have a portrait-orentation app, then this would be a no-brainer. But we don't, and we hate the way the notch looks on the left side in landscape mode, that's why we will not be supporting it for as long as we don't have to.

Oh, and for the record, our games are available for Android as well, and for iOS we support several different resolutions (8 different ones, including iPads, if I count correctly), too, of course. But those all do not have to take into account that notch thing and hence look good.

13. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

Hey so what's Apple's return policy? I ordered from Apple.com in the US, is there a restocking fee? I know I have 14 days.

14. bambooshots macrumors 65816

No restocking fee.

Pretty much you get to return in 14 days if you are not 100% happy with the product and it's not damaged.

15. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

I may be taking them up on that offer very soon... Unless I can give it to someone else who is waiting for their delivery next month and transfer the payment plan to them.

16. technoholic macrumors 6502a

im not returning my X but I'm getting an 8+ as my daily driver. Too many things don't work for me, Face ID is severely unreliable, and I've reset it 20+ times now, just doesn't work for my use cases. It must hate my face. And the narrowness is too much of a step down from the plus. Also battery life is terrible on mine. I do love the screen though, and the premium feel of the device, and the new gestures I think are excellent, don't miss the home button at all. So I'm going to keep it for when I want a smaller packaged phone in certain situations and use the 8+ as my day to day phone

17. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

Funny cause I love Face ID and it's been 100% successful... Try this: Set it up in a dark area, and move your head very slowly. Turn as far away from the phone as you can while keeping eye contact with it.

What's your battery life? Mine sucks.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not me

So far for me, battery life seems good, I was near 100% and used it for a couple of hours, surfing, watching videos, facebook and then I went to bed last night with the battery at 78% woke up to 68%. So usage seemed good and inactivity didn't impact it terribly either.

19. technoholic macrumors 6502a

I love it when it works but it just doesn't work when I want it to, and when it does work I find it slower and less convenient that touch. I don't like having to pick my phone up just to check it from my desk. Ill give it yet another go like you said though, can't hurt to try.

Battery life is terrible, I can barely get through a day, maybe that's normal for this phone but it's not good enough for my needs

20. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

Try this: Set it up in a dark area, and move your head very slowly. Turn as far away from the phone as you can while keeping eye contact with it.

10% drain overnight seems bad. My 6S+ will lose maybe 2-4%
    --- Post Merged, Nov 6, 2017 ---
    What did you have as a phone before the X?

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I dont' think so, but I'll give it time.

Yeah I'll try that.

22. technoholic macrumors 6502a

When I swipe up, should I see the Face ID spinning symbol before it works or does it go straight in for those who it works for?

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've had a mixture. At times the pad lock opens up immediately, other times it wouldn't and I'd see the pass code screen, and other times I'd see it spinning before unlocking.

I just reset the faceid while in a dark room, and I'll see if that fixes it. @mazdamiata210 recommend this and so while its still dark where I lived, I reset it. I'll now have to wait and see if that improvs the accuracy.

24. technoholic macrumors 6502a

yeah same here, I just reset it again so we'll see but initial tests are not any better. It's not terrible, but I hate having to make a deliberate effort to be in the right position, that was the convenience of Touch ID for me, and that's gone. If Face id worked better, I could get used to the other stuff but as it's so critical to the use of the phone, it's very difficult to overcome

25. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

Did you do it slowly also? Very slow and basically try to make your nose touch the outer circle
    --- Post Merged, Nov 6, 2017 ---
    Very weird because I love it and I've had 100% success. Even when I wasn't expecting it to work it did