animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
Dear Tim Apple,

We love iOS because of its simplicity, the paste from nonsense is NOT NEEED AT ALL...and do we really green and orange dots to claim these are privacy features?

SHOW ME HOW TO DISBLE THESE RIGHT NOW! 🤬🤬🤬

Reactions: alejandrooo

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No controls for those (at least not so far). That said, many certainly find it good to be notified of such things. While the paste notification can be somewhat in the way at times, the camera/microphone use indicator dots seem to be fairly out of the way and quite harmless pretty much from any view.

Last edited:

minik

Contributor
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
With these noticeable security/privacy features, they got me to upgrade the rest of the compatible devices to iOS 14. Remember some apps got caught looking at the clipboard or activate the camera/microphone in the background right after iOS 14 beta released? This is something the users should aware of it out of the box.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
The dots I find pretty useless because obviously I know when I used the camera. Thanks though also it’s not like I can do anything about it in regards of the copy paste notification besides completely deleting that app.

already dreading the confused phone calls by my relatives once they actually „get updated“ to iOS 14 😫

Reactions: compwiz1202

adrianlondon

macrumors 68040
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
My "I find the orange dot useful to know that I've toggled Shazam on in the control centre and that it's still trying, and usually failing, to work out what I'm listening to" answer.

CE3

Contributor
Nov 26, 2014
OP: stop being so overly dramatic about tiny green/orange dots and 5 second notifications. Maybe you don't mind if developers are logging potentially sensitive information from your clipboard, accessing your microphone, camera, network settings and bluetooth when it isn't necessary, but the rest of us appreciate the added transparency and control. There are no cons to these features.

IowaLynn

Contributor
Feb 22, 2015
Those notifications block what I'm doing, oveays content on the screen.

Give me more robust Settings : Apps and granular control if I want every time I use a password manager to fill in fields. As is, I have to pause and stop. Interrupts the flow of what I'm doing.

It sounded good and welcome but the actual implementation falls short.

I'll use my Note 20 as daily driver seeing ios 14 in the flesh - looking at you Android 11.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Those notifications block what I'm doing, oveays content on the screen.

Give me more robust Settings : Apps and granular control if I want every time I use a password manager to fill in fields. As is, I have to pause and stop. Interrupts the flow of what I'm doing.

It sounded good and welcome but the actual implementation falls short.

I'll use my Note 20 as daily driver seeing ios 14 in the flesh - looking at you Android 11.
Don't think the camera and microphone use indicators dots block anything.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
People are or course free to hate this functionality. Plenty of things I don't like about iOS. But when it comes to Privacy, there is nothing Apple can do that will make everyone happy. Erring on the side of over exposure is better than not enough exposure.

Reactions: artfossil

FHoff

Contributor
Mar 21, 2020
Dear Tim Apple,

We love iOS because of its simplicity, the paste from nonsense is NOT NEEED AT ALL...and do we really green and orange dots to claim these are privacy features?

SHOW ME HOW TO DISBLE THESE RIGHT NOW! 🤬🤬🤬

No disabling is possible. Deal with it and move on or move to another OS

Tozovac

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2014
Weird thread to be honest.

Don’t be mad at Apple, be mad at the developers pasting your clipboard. Send feedback to them.

I’ll go out on a limb here, but I get one of the points of this thread, which may be to feel infetissimally better by griping out loud and hearing from others who feel similarly as the OP. I’ve used this kind of therapy often to infitessimally diminish my disdain for flat design and much of Apple’s UI since iOS7. :)

I also get the point about the red dot, and I kind of like that notification/information. I have yet to get the point about the paste notification and feels more like “here’s something new because we can.”

CE3

Contributor
Nov 26, 2014
I’ll go out on a limb here, but I get one of the points of this thread, which may be to feel infetissimally better by griping out loud and hearing from others who feel similarly as the OP. I’ve used this kind of therapy often to infitessimally diminish my disdain for flat design and much of Apple’s UI since iOS7. :)

I also get the point about the red dot, and I kind of like that notification/information. I have yet to get the point about the paste notification and feels more like “here’s something new because we can.”

The point is the minute Apple added these notifications in iOS 14 it outed quite a few apps that were unnecessarily pasting everything from the clipboard, including stuff that you copy from Mac to your iOS device.

Martinpa

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
I quite like the feature. One of the games I’m playing will sometimes read my clipboard for absolutely no reason at all. I contacted technical support and asked about it, and they just told be to go on user forum and talk about it there (very disappointing). I just wish there was a way to revoke access to the clipboard on an app by app basis. Some of them I want to read my clipboard all the time for good reasons, others, there is no sensible rationale for them to do so.

Reactions: mrwizardno2 and CE3

CE3

Contributor
Nov 26, 2014
I just wish there was a way to revoke access to the clipboard on an app by app basis. Some of them I want to read my clipboard all the time for good reasons, others, there is no sensible rationale for them to do so.

That's a good suggestion. It'd be nice if we'd get a popup like the location access one with options like Don't Allow / Allow once / Allow while using the app. You should submit this feedback to Apple.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
There's a special place in hell for ppl who post stuff like "move to another OS" nonsense

WE LOVE APPLE, and this is a forum where we can exchange our feedbacks and opinions, YOU ARE THE ONE who should MOVE TO ANOTHER PLANET!

Tozovac

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2014
The point is the minute Apple added these notifications in iOS 14 it outed quite a few apps that were unnecessarily pasting everything from the clipboard, including stuff that you copy from Mac to your iOS device.

Thanks for that info! I’ve only been seeing the function when I paste something, so I’ve not experienced any surprise notifications that would have tipped me off to what you shared.

Martinpa

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
That's a good suggestion. It'd be nice if we'd get a popup like the location access one with options like Don't Allow / Allow once / Allow while using the app. You should submit this feedback to Apple.
On one hand, there’s already so many pop ups, and with the cookies settings on websites now, it can get annoying. But now that I know this app reads my clipboard without my consent (which could have sensible information/passwords/etc.) the only thing I can do about it is delete the app. Not as useful of a notification as it should be...

Last edited:
Reactions: IowaLynn

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Is there no way for the phone to differentiate between a paste action that was initiated by the user (e.g., by clicking “paste”), and a paste that was initiated by an app - and only pop up a warning in the 2nd instance? Honest question...

Reactions: i hate phones
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.