The I'm waiting for the new 2013 Haswell models thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gene8, Apr 12, 2013.

  1. Gene8 macrumors newbie


    Jun 13, 2012
    So I purchased a retina 13" MacBook Pro about a week ago an decided I better wait for a few months for the new haswell rmp's to arrive,And I returned my retina today and am anticipating a day one purchase of the new haswell chip MacBook Pro with retina display..I guess that's with this thread is for, people that are holding off for the 2013 refresh. Anyone doing the same , vent!
  2. donster28 macrumors 68000

    Oct 5, 2006
    Great White North
    Sadly, I am doing the same with my 13". My return privilege is expiring on Sunday.

    I have been contemplating on exchanging it for a 15" but decided I should just wait.

    What's sad about it is that this is my first Apple purchase that's perfect in every way and I didn't have to exchange multiple times to get a perfect one. Nowadays, it's like lottery when purchasing electronics and I'm afraid my next one will not be a flawless one.

    One side of me is saying keep it and the other is saying wait. My experience with it is flawless and I even edited on Final Cut Pro X with no hiccups.

    I really hate frequent updates of hardware. I wish all manufacturers take their time to perfect a product before releasing it, giving us more time with our purchase, regardless if we buy mid-cycle. A year or year and a half would be a perfect cycle.

    I've waited a few months to get the Sandy Bridge generation MacBook Air and I was not disappointed. I'm feeling the same way with this.
  3. Gene8 thread starter macrumors newbie


    Jun 13, 2012
    Yea I agree, my experience with mine was flawless as well. But I feel like if I'm going to make a computer purchase(an especially an expensive one), I want it to be the newest version on day one to fully get my money's worth..rather than purchasing something near the end of its cycle..that's just my opinion..cheers!
  4. adjeff8 macrumors 6502


    Nov 18, 2012
    My experience with the 15" MBP has only been 30 mins at a time in the Apple Store...About 1000 times, and they are AWESOME. I've been waiting for more than 6 months. I just refuse to buy a 1st generation anything, and especially with the myriad of glitches and problems being reported. Although its true that the average happy customer doesn't take the time to write in about it. I'm also aware of the minor spec bump in Feb, but I don't want to hear it. I do not consider ratcheting the current processor 100 Mhz to qualify as a 2nd generation. People have been saying that Haswell won't be much of a change, and not much else will change or improve, but I've waited this long so I'll just wait and see. Besides Haswell I'm hoping for the Wifi advancement, hopefully a bigger Base SSD (256gigs is rather small for the money we're spending, a resolution one way or the other with the displays, a minor price drop and maybe other improvements or advancements.
  5. jNSK macrumors newbie

    Apr 9, 2013
    While I agree with that, this is a consumer society my friend. Yes, the newer ones are probably around the corner, but I bought one a few days ago anyway (still waiting for it to come in the mail).

    If you spend your time waiting you may be disappointed that you didn't buy it earlier - the current rMBP's are by no means a product to be frowned upon, they are excellent machines and the lag issues are all software-based (software has been improving hence the lag has been improving).

    Let's take the nVidia 700-series for example. For my desktop PC, I was going to wait until the middle of this year and get one. I bit the bullet early and got a GTX 680. I'm glad I did that now because they've announced the 700-series are now out in 2014. My point is - my philosophy is that you should buy what's out now and be happy with it (you will be happy with it). It's not going to suddenly be obsolete just because a model with a better processor gets released. Haswell gains are focused more on battery life than they are performance increases...apparently.
  6. luffytubby macrumors 6502a


    Jan 22, 2008
    Don't be foolish. Skip Haswell and go for Broadwell. Broadwell is already here, Haswell the experimental tech. Go for Broadwell. It will be what Ivybridge was to Sandybridge.

    You see what I am getting at? The "day one" is completely bullcrap. You're being played. What comes to marked it already old, and realistically you don't know if the latest rev. will have all sorts of problems Ivy didn't.

    Few expected Sandy to have such high temperature loads. It made it a unpleasent experience for (I guess) lots of users as it downclocked itself. Sandy was fantastic - it was so powerful it couldn't cool itself effectively. At least when CPU/GPU was stressed at once continuously. Some people who wated for the Sandy upgrade got screwed.

    Then there is the philosophical side of things, about getting your moneys worth. Your enjoyment of said product has nothing to do with how new it is. That's very naive to think like that. All it has to do with is not the computer, but your materialistic obsession to fill a hole in your life.

    your new computer is old tomorrow. Live in the moment. Do yourself a favor and get out of this line of thinking. It's unhealthy, and you will be less happy never catching up. You're never going to get the best deal, buy it at the best time or make the right call. Just buy it when you need it and be content with what you got, right now. That's what I think at least. But I am only speaking from my own experiences being stuck in the "must have new electronics loop". It's a tough break, man! Best of luck, whatever you decide to do, with your time!
  7. jNSK macrumors newbie

    Apr 9, 2013
    I could not agree with you more.
  8. Erasmus macrumors 68030


    Jun 22, 2006
    Hiding from Omnius in Australia
    The old "Buy it when you need it" chestnut. Which, of course, I disagree with.

    Nobody needs a computer. You'll continue to live without it. Everyone can make do with a 5 year old computer for another 5 years. It is simply unpleasant, and often very difficult to do so. People buy computers when their own subjective assessment tells them it is in their best interests to do so.

    Therefore, the REAL question is, if the OP wants to buy a new computer in the next few months, whether waiting 3-4 months, or buying right now will give them the most enjoyment for their money.

    As the OP is clearly willing to wait (suggesting continuing to use whatever they already have for another 3 months won't be too stressful) and is obviously excited to see and purchase a Haswell MBP, I would think the answer is obvious.
  9. luffytubby macrumors 6502a


    Jan 22, 2008
    That's not really the point, is it?

    I think the interesting thing here is that the OP, is unhappy primarily due to the knowledge of something new being released. He would probably been as fulfilled has there not been a haswell announced. Had it just been ivy, and had there been no talk of a haswell, he would probably been very satisfied with his experience.

    You see the difference?

    A five year old computer would be very slow and not much fun at all. Realistically, I think the real world difference between how Ivy and Haswell will feel day-to-day will be small. I'm sure Haswell will be better, just like Broadwell will be that much better than Haswell.

    And that was the point, I think.
  10. stevemiller macrumors 68000

    Oct 27, 2008
    my job is quite demanding from a computing power standpoint, but i still hesitate to upgrade until the performance jump is substantial and noticeable.

    previously that moment had always been pretty self evident and usually came about every 3 years. when i had my powermac, the move to intel brought about a large performance jump, and by the time i got a mbp in late '08, it could run circles around my old desktop. likewise when the mbp went quadcore with sandybridge, i was able to replace my notebook with one that often tripled the speed of heavy real world tasks.

    since then, ivy bridge sounded like it brought some added efficiencies but only modest performance gains. and from what i've read, haswell is expected to be more of the same. i guess i'm just wondering if there is anything "big" on the horizon.

    it seems like all the growth in processing power lately is being funnelled into phones and tablets, which is great and all, but at this point i don't exactly feel like my phone or tablet is lacking speed for the types of tasks they are suited for, anyway.

    does anyone with greater insight than i have any tidbits to share on where things are headed in the next few years?
  11. Gene8 thread starter macrumors newbie


    Jun 13, 2012
    this man..(or woman) -__-
  12. unobtainium macrumors 68020

    Mar 27, 2011
    Those who are waiting may be looking at a 4-5 month wait, since Haswell chips with a fix for the USB 3.0 bug won't be available to Apple until the end of July. Shipping products certainly won't arrive until August, maybe even September. That seems like a long wait. It's basically half a year.

    The rMBP was just updated in March. I think the current models are excellent, and if you need one now, you shouldn't hesitate to buy. Haswell will provide nothing more than a modest boost in battery life and better integrated graphics. Kinda pointless for the 15", might be useful on the 13" if you game. The CPU boost is rumoured to be very negligible..

    In other words, I don't think it's necessarily worth the wait.
  13. Robster3 macrumors 68000

    Dec 13, 2012
  14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604


    May 28, 2005
  15. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

    Mar 28, 2009
    I know the update to haswell will be minor but I'm interested in how the macbook line will shape out this year and pricing.
  16. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

    Feb 5, 2009
    I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but...

    ...if they include 802.11ac, and update Airport Extreme along with it, I buy Haswell. For me, that alone is worth it. Finder performance and large file manipulation is so sluggish and buggy for me on 802.11n that it's become my largest bottleneck by far.
  17. vpro macrumors 65816


    Jun 8, 2012
    Yeah 17" MBP!!

    Get what you can afford and don't go into dept for it. Just don't be obsessed people! Go out for a walk once and awhile, don't carry your gadgets around, just go for a good long walk and think only about your favorite cake.

    Kudos on your signature - "WANT: 2014 17" MBP", I can't wait I want one now! ^_^
  18. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    I can understand waiting and I usually advocate that in the ubiquitous "should I buy one now" threads. If you can wait 4 or 5 more months then by all means.

    From what I read, the Haswell chipset is due out in June, though I stumbled across some news article (I can't find it now) that mentioned it may be July, and of course apple waits a month or two before releasing it. So we're looking at August or September for the 15" models.

    Apple has in the past (if memory serves me correct) only released the 15" model and waited a period of time for the 13" So if you want the smaller form factor you may have a bit of a wait. Of course this is all conjecture since we really don't know apple (or Intel's) actual plans

    FWIW, I decided back in late 2011 that I needed to replace my core2duo laptop and so I waited until the summer of 2012 for apple to release their new laptops and I'm extremely happy I did. My point if you can wait you're usually better off, though at some point you may find yourself always waiting and never buying.
  19. maxosx macrumors 68020

    Dec 13, 2012
    Southern California
    Wait, no buy now. Or perhaps I'll wait. Nah, why wait when I could be enjoying one now. Hmmm, lets see, if I wait I'll get the benefits of the latest features. But then again, what if there's bugs & unforeseen annoyances. That'd be no surprise. Sometimes that's half the fun, after all who wants a perfect laptop?

    Well, you get the picture :D
  20. luffytubby macrumors 6502a


    Jan 22, 2008

    Broadwell Q2 2014. believ' dat homie.:rolleyes:


    802.11ac has been so long overdue is that in quite a few circumstances it's actually worse than n draft? (shorter range mainly). ac is not new. It's been around for a while, they just haven't been able to fix it.
  21. bill-p macrumors 68000

    Jul 23, 2011
    If you make up a scale from 0 to 100, then phones/tablets are about 6-7 on the scale, and laptops/desktops are at 100.

    Improving from 6-7 to 10 on the scale means it's a 42 - 67% performance boost. Or... huge numbers!

    Improving from 100 to 105 on the scale is barely a 5% performance boost. Or... small number!

    But wait... 100 to 105 is 5 on the scale. 6-7 to 10 is only 4.

    Desktops/laptops gained more, but because they are so high on the scale, the improvement seems minuscule.

    It's just a matter of scale and perspective, really. The way I see it, desktops/laptops are gaining performance at about the same rate as mobile platforms. The only reason you don't see it is because the media plays around with percentages to make it look sensational, but I think some of us know better...
  22. Laco macrumors 6502

    Apr 23, 2008
    I am waiting for Skylake :) My current Macbook Pro is about half a year old and I want to upgrade about every 3 years so Skylake sounds about right.
  23. andy9l macrumors 68000

    Aug 31, 2009
    England, UK
    Mind = blown.

    Seriously though, that's a pretty good way of looking at it. I too am waiting for Haswell...but not just for "Haswell".

    The post above trying to push that waiting is pointless is only true for those who genuinely need a product - which, let's face it, is quite rare. Take the iPhone, as an example. Someone goes into a shop, splashes £529 on a new iPhone 5. Then 3 weeks later the iPhone 5S gets released and their friend goes into the shop and splashes £529 on an iPhone 5S. Same amount of money, but a better product - a successor in-fact.

    Those who are in this thread "waiting", presumably have a decent machine to tick them over for a few more months - I certainly do. Buying a 13" (specifically 13" in my personal opinion) rMBP now is arguably a waste of money, IF you can afford to hold off. Regardless of processor, the new 13" rMBP will offer more than its predecessor, and will also more than likely be the same price. Therefore, by waiting a few weeks, you're getting more for your money - and the benefit of a fully working 2nd gen product, as opposed to a 1st gen "mostly working" product.

    It's all subjective, though. We each spend our money how we choose, and that's how it should be.
  24. mslide macrumors 6502a

    Sep 17, 2007
    Waiting is stupid. Want/need a new computer? Just buy it, enjoy it and ignore threads like this. You're not going to notice a difference between today's generation and next. It's like comparing a base model against one with the slightly faster CPU.

    Waiting for the next model won't make your computer last any longer in the long run either. That's like saying somebody with a 2008 MBP can last an iteration longer than one with a 2007 MBP. Today, every C2D MacBook (Pro) is the exact same speed... really slow.
  25. andy9l macrumors 68000

    Aug 31, 2009
    England, UK
    Hardly. You get more for your money by waiting. That said, I'd partially agree with you if it wasn't just around the corner.

    Waiting for months on end starts to become pointless, agreed, especially if it's having a negative impact on your work/daily life.

    I should have used this example earlier, my friend bought a non-retina 13" in February. Two days later, they dropped the price of the retina, and he could have got exactly his spec AND a retina display for LESS than he paid. Luckily this was in his returns window so he managed to swap and get the money back, but it still stands - by waiting, you inevitably get more for your money.

    If the wait is short, it's worth while.

Share This Page