THE iOS7 Maps Thread

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by MozMan68, Aug 13, 2013.

1. MozMan68, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013

MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Well...certainly not a "disaster" anymore, although it never really was for me. Decided to finally jump on the train after beta 5 was released and have to say I'm even more impressed with the maps UI than I was with iOS6.

I have to admit, I did like the clarity of the green signs and the skeuomorphism associated with those.

I've noticed a distinct increase in poi accuracy and have always had MUCH better luck with physical addresses and routing with Apple over Google. Google clearly has the poi info down, but driving directions, signage graphics and "best" route info was horrible for me on a regular basis.

Anyway, post away thoughts, complaints, errors, pics....here are some from me.

LOVE that all the pertinent info is on the main screen now...very clear and easy for me to read at a glance.

Single tap on the screen brings up the "options" for maps....goes away on its own once selections or made or after a few seconds...no need to "re-tap." :)

Same shot without the options menu showing.

Attached Files:

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Maps is definitely improved.

As for your three consecutive posts, you do realize you can upload at least 3 images to one post and write a wall-o-text if you so choose to accompany said photos, right?

3. MozMan68 thread starter macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I think it's pretty apparent I didn't know that....:eek:

...and doing posts from my iPhone during a meeting makes it difficult....:p

4. DarkJaye macrumors member

I love the improvements to Maps as well, although I never had a huge problem with iOS 6 maps either. I find POI is hit or miss for both Apple and Google when I'm travelling to be honest, I always end up trying to find the information directly from the establishments website if I can.

I still do a double take every time I hear the improved Siri voice when using turn-by-turn directions. Huge improvement.

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

6. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Agreed, The Siri improvement is very noticable.

7. Mad4clay macrumors regular

Oh I so LOVE that idea!

8. MozMan68 thread starter macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I have that on my Garmin and find it annoying.

Sometimes not even correct. I would rather they focus on poi intelligence before adding something like speed limits IMO.

9. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

If you need your phone to tell you how fast you're supposed to go you really shouldn't be driving a car.
    :D

10. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

I had that on my old Garmin GPS. Then they lowered the speed limit on the road near my house from 45 to 35. The Garmin continued to give the speed limit as 45 for years. So, for me, it's just as well the iPhone doesn't have that feature. I wouldn't trust it anyway.

11. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Lol. That was my thought too.

12. Stupotpot macrumors 6502

Stupotpot

I'd prefer speed camera alerts rather than speed limits as I generally know what the limits are!

13. matty.p macrumors 6502

What are speed cameras?

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

To be fair, it could be useful for people driving in a foreign country. For example, in NZ we have a sign that looks like this, which means that you can go at 100:

[​IMG]

It wouldn't surprise me if a visitor had no clue about that one!

I'm not even sure how to respond to that one :eek:

15. TrenttonY, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013

TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

Is Yelp still intergrated with maps? Screenshot?

16. Zcott macrumors 68020

If I'm following GPS instructions, chances are I'm in an area I'm not familiar with and I wouldn't be entirely sure how fast certain roads are. Certainly in Ireland where the speed limits are all in kph and not always signposted, it's easy to go above the speed limit. For anyone who drives a lot for a living, a speed limit warning is a great tool.

17. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

on the iPhone 4, maps is pretty much useless. It takes about 40 seconds to load up my location with the surrounding map... and that's not even on satellite mode.

i am forced to use google maps

18. err404 macrumors 68020

I'm liking it so far. i is my primary mapping app right now. My main issue is that I tend to use Maps in landscape orientation (as pictured above). It simply fits on my dashboard better that way. Unfortunately the UI feels heavy optimized towards a portrait layout. Note that the power saving lock screen mode is only portrait.
    In landscape I have a hard time seeing far enough ahead of my car to navigate quick turns.
    This issue isn't isolated to Apple's Maps. Most popular mapping apps on iOS share this problem.

Other issues I have noticed are chopped off or late voice directions and the color of the route (desaturated blue) is to similar to the dark grey used on the rest of the roads when your brightness is low or the sun is hitting the display. The highlighted route should have more contrast with the rest of the map.

19. Chabba macrumors regular

Are the animations faster than iOS 6, and can you finally move around the map while in navigate mode and not using overview? Those 2 things are big issues for me vs Google Maps.

20. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

It's still there, it looks pretty much the same.

IMG_0309.PNG IMG_0310.PNG IMG_0311.PNG

21. Zcott macrumors 68020

This is probably partly because mapping works best in portrait mode as you can see more of the road ahead.

22. notrack macrumors 6502

In night mode, the route has the same blue colour as highways (German Autobahn). Hard to see the difference.

23. matttye macrumors 601

Looks like the 'national speed limit' signs used here in the UK, which means you can go 60 (mph) on a single carriageway and 70 on a dual carriageway/motorway.

24. MozMan68 thread starter macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Zoom out far enough on iPad (and now iPhone too) and you get day/night view on the Earth with city lights. Pretty cool.

Attached Files:

25. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a