The IPad Air 3 might be only 5mm thin!!!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Billy95Tech, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Billy95Tech, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015

Billy95Tech Suspended

There are rumours that the new IPad Air 3 will be even thinner at 5mm from 6.1mm(IPad Air 2).
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Rumored-specs-surface-for-the-Apple-iPad-Air-3_id73777
    http://www.latinospost.com/articles...ng-early-next-year-specs-features-release.htm
    http://www.vcpost.com/articles/100050/20151021/ipad-air-3-reportedly-unveiled-early-2016.htm

I have the IPad Air 2 and for me the IPad Air 2 is already thin enough at 6.1mm thin because if they go any thinner than that there are going to be even more bending issues, bendgate well there are already bending problems with the Air 2(I seen users having the bending issue on this forum and on the Internet)

And all so I don't really want Apple to shrink the battery capacity again just like they did with IPad Air 2 and lose some of that legendary 10 hour battery life.

So what do you think everyone?? Do you the IPad Air 2 is already thin enough? And lastly how much thinner can tablets get???

I really really really can't imagine tablets getting thinner then they are now.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I think that if there's one thing you can bet on, Jony Ive's quest for thinness (with his products, not his gut) means that there's a fair chance a next-gen Apple product will be thinner.

3. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

as long as the uni-body material is strong enough for no more bend-gates, then why not?

4. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

7000-series aluminium is the key here. It enables the same rigidity in a thinner form.

5. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

People saying 6.1 mm is thin enough, wait until bendable screens/devices come out at 1.5mm!

6. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Sometimes a device that is too thin becomes ergonomically difficult/unnatural to hold.

If technology allowed it, would you be comfortable holding a "phone" that is as sharp and thin as a Gillette Razor Blade? That would be idiotic, not to mention uncomfortable and dangerous. But Sir Jony is so myopic that he may not mind driving us towards that direction.

It's not so much about the weight, but the ergonomic factor…. how comfortable, how natural it feels to hold the device, that should be an important consideration.

7. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Other than being cool to behold; I don't know if a "bending" screen is all that useful. I mean, who wants to be reading a document and then the screen starts to flop down, or if the screen won't stay put on a stand while you watch a movie. I would be annoyed with that very quickly.

8. af21187 macrumors 6502

Where are these "rumors" coming from? Rename your post title to say "May be 5mm thin" instead of stating it as fact, because I came in here expecting sources.

9. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

they need to reduce weight of the Air 2, its heavy AF

10. Billy95Tech thread starter Suspended

Sorry, ok I will change/rename the title!

UPDATE: Done!! :)

11. mdridwan47 macrumors 6502

mdridwan47

12. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

I actually would prefer a reduction in the top and side bezels more than a thinner device. I doubt the touch handling ergonomics would be severely affected, although with Touch ID at the bottom I guess they need a little space there.

13. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

14. journeyy macrumors regular

The bezels are still needed to hold the device somewhat comfortably. Reducing the weight of the iPads (and the
    thickness with it) will absolutely help the usability and will get the device closer to the "digital magazine" vision. The lighter it gets, the less bezel you need though, so depending huch much room for battery reduction the new processors will provide, there will maybe be less bezels, too.

15. newellj macrumors 601

Yeah, if that's true, I'm glad that (1) it won't bend if sat on, (2) it won't have any display distortion and (3) there won't be any vibration if the audio is cranked up. :D

16. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Wow, if this is true this is becoming a Ninja weapon ;)

17. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Making their products thinner and thinner is Apple tradition. It't obvious benefit with iPad is the entire unit becomes lighter. Unlike a laptop that sits on a surface, the lighter an iPad is the better. Especially since it's not something that can be made very ergonomic.

18. boast macrumors 65816

boast

If I didn't use a case, I think it is thin enough.

19. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Or you put your iPad Paper down on a table outside and it blows away in the wind :D

20. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

To me the problem with them getting so thin is the lack of sufficient battery. Although I love my Mini 4, it does not last as long as the Mini 2 that I just sold. They should only make them thinner if the battery can maintain the same balance as the previous model.
    My old Mini 2 would go 3 days before needing a charge. The Mini 4 can barely make it through 2 days. When I owned the Mini 2, I never even thought about the remaining battery power, but with the Mini 4 I check remaining power all the time.

21. newellj macrumors 601

Same experience with the Air vs. Air 2. The Mini 4 and Air 2 are better hardware, but runtime definitely took a hit compared to their A7 predecessors.

22. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502

You changed the title but there is still no source. Is the rumor from a friend of a friend? Cause there is no such rumors anywhere.

23. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

Pretty sure that this is just something random that someone made up.

24. JustMichal macrumors member

JustMichal

Because that space could be used for something actually useful like additional battery.

25. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Oh boy - the Air 2 already has a screen and chassis vibration problem and they want to make the next iPad THINNER? My god, without some type of speaker isolation engineering the thing will vibrate right off the table if layed flat with music playing. My goodness. We want a tablet, NOT a cheet of paper. Ugh.