The iPad Market in NYC is Nuts!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by md63, Mar 17, 2011.

1. md63 macrumors 6502

I just can't believe what is going on with iPads in NYC. Everyone is probably aware of the Asian gangs buying up all the iPads from Apple stores in the city. Now the market seems to be heating up on craigslist. On launch day I bought a 32gb 3G from an AT&T store. The store only had 8 units but they took my name and I only needed to wait 30 minutes. I planned to keep it but when I paid for the unit a guy in the store immediately offered to buy my iPad. After discussions we agreed on $1,000. The best ROI I have ever had on an investment.

On Saturday I went to the 5th Ave store in late afternoon and for some reason they still had some Wifi and Verizon models. I picked up a 32gb Wifi model thinking my dad would want it. Unfortunately he didn't. Before returning it, I listed it on CL for $750 just to see what I could get. No hits until today when I had about 6 people contact me and bidding up the price. I sold it for $800. The funny thing is a cute Asian girl wanted to buy it for $750 and I originally agreed but then received 3 offers at $800. She was already on her way to my place and I met her on the street. When I told her it would cost her $800 she just started crying right there on the sidewalk. This whole thing is crazy.

2. epgoldie macrumors newbie

so you made a girl cry over 50 bucks after you already agreed to sell it to her?

3. trssho macrumors 6502

Yea, that was kind of rude to not sell it to the girl who came over to pick it up after apparently agreeing on price. Capitalism #1

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If you agreed to $750, then you should have honored that price. How would you feel if you were the buyer?

5. Kblakeshot macrumors member

Enough with the NYC posts! We get it.. the Asians are ruling the NYC iPad 2 game.

But why in the world would you come in here and talk about it when you are OBVIOUSLY doing the same thing and in it just to make money. What, you just randomly happen to stubble upon 2 iPad 2s that you for "some reason" didnt need any longer?

Next...

6. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Exactly what I was going to say. In general when you allow bidding you should tell the people buying it that the sale is not final and you allow bidding. If you just said, "iPad 2 for $750!" and then later said, "no I want $800" after that, you are being disingenuous to your buyers. To be honest with you I am surprised the girl didn't call you a scammer.

7. md63 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. I guess so. I offered to walk over to the bank with her (1 block away) so she could get the money. She said she couldn't pay any more because she was a struggling student. I said to her since she is a "struggling student" maybe she should rethink buying the iPad 2 since its very expensive at the moment and just buy the original iPad. That is when she started crying.

8. Khryz macrumors 6502a

"You know, I got some offers for $800 but since I already agreed to you, here's your brand spankin' new iPad. Hey, we should exchange email addresses to test out the FaceTime!"

In.

9. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

You broke your agreement AND gave her advice on her life? Wasn't really your place to debate whether she should be buying it or not.

Go line up with the scalpers, you're pretty much one of them now.

p.s: take that last sentence with a pinch of salt.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

iPad sales in NYC are a fiasco. While Apple is selling plenty of units, too many of them are going to resellers and that is obviously causing a high amount of frustration among potential customers. I'm simply not waiting in line with 400 resellers for hours.

The new iPad is a solid upgrade--but its not mind blowing enough to justify such irrational buying behavior. I was planning to buy one but honestly I'm thinking about just skipping this version altogether.

11. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

That's a pretty bunk move bro. I've sold things on craigslist and it's pretty much the rule that once the price is agreed upon and the person starts their commute to pick it up, the deal is done.

12. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I have to say OP, that is pretty low what you did.

13. livspop macrumors regular

That's really an unfair statement. To the scalpers, I mean. This guys is worse than the scalpers because he's a liar to boot. You can't put a price on your word, but apparently for this guy it's $50! :rolleyes:

14. epgoldie macrumors newbie

+1 ...

i dont even mind resellers selling to make a profit. they're spending their time and i guess they should get paid for that but if you're going to agree on a price, honor it.

15. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

This is exactly what con-men do when they are ripping off little old ladies. Demand payment and then frogmarch them to the cash machine to ensure they don't change their minds. We will probably be seeing you on Crimewatch next... :D

16. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Everyone with an iPad in NYC is seeing dollar signs right now. It's insane.

17. bigwinnerx macrumors member

Definitely a douchy move. Look out for karma. It'll get that $50 back out of you somehow.

18. sim667 macrumors 65816

You should have paid her for her time and travel if you wanted to up the price. If you agree to a price you honour it. :mad:

I'd have kicked you square in the nuts if it was me.

But then I wouldnt have been desperate enough to buy one of craigslist.

19. epgoldie macrumors newbie

but NYC is Nuts!!!

20. md63 thread starter macrumors 6502

The girl didn't show up when she said she was going to and I wasn't about to turn down other offers. I actually tried calling her but she didn't answer. She was about 1 hr late. While I'm waiting for her I have all these other people contact me. If she showed up when she said she was going to, then I would have sold it to her. The reason why I insist on people meeting near me, is because in the past I have had several people not show up when they said they were buying something from me and that is when I was traveling to them.

21. hlr element macrumors member

OP, you're a total ****. I mean, if you called her back before she walked to your freaking house and changed your mind, that'd be a mean thing but if she's already at your house with the money? Thinking the whole way, awesome, i finally saved up enough money and i can buy myself an ipad2, i'll have so much fun.

22. livspop macrumors regular

Keep your eyes up and your head on a swivel. Karma is laying in wait!!

23. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

The OP mentioned that it was a cute girl and now everyone's coming down on him ha. You've angered all the nice guys aka guys who frequent computer forums.

24. chochoo macrumors newbie

Wow, you gave her sh** after you dishonored the original agreement? Can you get any worse? How about yell at her parents for not providing enough money for her??

Yet you come on here and complain about the Asian gang buying and reselling. You are even worse than them. I'm pretty sure at least when they say a price, they won't change it again just to ******* the buyer over.

IMO, you screwed someone over for 50$. That just shows how low you are.

25. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

This place cracks me up. You defend the resellers cause it's "free enterprise" their totally within their rights but then you crucify a seller for upping the price. Why isn't it still free enterprise!? Where are the "she should of got there earlier on Friday if she wanted one" comments?! Hypocrits.