The iPad Mini will be Apple's/Cook's Big Mistake

Discussion in 'iPad' started by svensven, Oct 23, 2012.

1. svensven macrumors newbie

Nobody needs it. Tweeners are useless to all but a niche market.

1. It will fragment iOS. Developers now have to design UIs for 3 screen sizes.
    2. There will hardly be any Apps for it for months.
    3. The size: not big enough to compete with a smartphone and too small to compete with an iPad. It's an awkward size for everything but reading novels. Too many compromises to the point where it's not really better at anything compared to laptops and smartphones.

If Apple does this it won't sell well. And this is very un Apple like. They should be focusing on the existing iPad. Reducing the bezel and making it thinner and lighter.

This one is going to be Cook's undoing.

2. THFourteen macrumors 6502a

THFourteen

I'm also getting one.

Been after a 7" tablet for a while, but not convinced by android tablet appstores and dev support (i have an android phone before anyone accuses me of being a fanboy)

my ipad 3 is just too heavy for long gaming sessions. Will be giving it to the wife.

3. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

You are obviously welcome to your opinion, but I think you are wrong

4. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

You've seen it already? You know the exact size and how it will be awkward?

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I don't trust the opinion of anyone who thinks the size of the bezel on the regular iPad should be smaller.

6. R1PPER macrumors 6502

Are you mental.....every ipad app will work on it...it perfect for armchair browsing and it will be light. You can fit it in your bag, and the kids a can throw it around and its only £200 so its much more everyday friendly than the big ipad. Which i love.

7. Ankaa macrumors 6502a

Same ****, different day.

The Macbook Air was said to be a BIG mistake. No market.
    The iPad was said to be a BIG mistake. No market.
    Now with the (supposed) iPad Mini.

Got the idea?

8. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

I'll be getting one, and they are already coding for more than three resolutions.

iphone 3gs 320x480
    iphone 4 and 4s 640x960
    iphone 5 is 1,136 × 640

ipad1&2 1024x768 (which is also supposed ipad mini resolution)

The new iPad (3) is 2048x1536 screen resolution

so that's 5 different resolutions already....

Any apps currently for ipad1/2 should work fine on new ipad mini. There is a HUGE market for this, Apple sees how many Nexus 7's and Amazon Kindle's are selling and can easily compete in this marketplace. You will see.. They will be sold out quickly, I'm guessing.

9. GeorgieAcevedo macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

10. SeanR1 macrumors 6502

SeanR1

Something I don't understand about #1......Is it THAT big of a deal, I mean if they design for 3 UI's already, will it suddenly not be worth it anymore to design for a 4th (if there is indeed a 4th)?

I am not an app developer/programmer so I honestly don't know.

11. Sweeperdk macrumors regular

Sweeperdk

With a rumored resolution equal to that of iPad 1 & 2 this is a moot point. No new resolution for apps will be needed.

All existing apps will most likely function perfectly on it

My stint with the iPad left me with a feeling of having to compromise. The size factor alone meant I sold the iPad and purchased a Macbook Air 11" instead. Much more useful, and only a tad bigger than an iPad.

A 7.8" iPad on the other hand... Size-wise I will be able to fit that in a large pocket, making it much easier to just take with me.

Fud. Pure and simple. The "iPad Mini" will fit perfectly as a tablet alongside all the other averagely-7" tablets.

It may not be of any interest to YOU, but I'll happily bet that many will find it massively useful.

12. Fynd macrumors 6502

1 and 2 are just false. This iPad will carry the same resolution as current iPad models, meaning zero fragmentation. Also meaning thousands of current applications on day one. No extra development required.

3 is your opinion, which will vary from person to person.

13. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

not one post about how Apple is going to hell without Jobs? You guys dissapoint me. I thought they went hand in hand.

14. iLLUMI macrumors 6502

I'm getting one! I might even buy two. :D
    They'll make great, reasonably priced Christmas gifts for the family.
    The Mini is a great entry level iDevice.

And dont forget that the iPad Mini is supposedly meant to be in competition with the likes of Kindle and other eReaders.
    There are a lot of people that like to read digital books while in transit such as on the train, bus, plane etc etc. I'm thinking the Mini will be small enough to easily carry on your person or for women to carry in their handbags. iPads are too big in this regard.
    I think there is very much a market out there for the Mini.

Apple are smart people. They would have done an ample amount of market research beforehand.
    On eReaders you cant play games. People that like to read also like to play games. Having a device that allows you to do both means you only need to carry with you just the one device.

15. Andy-V macrumors 6502

Do you honestly think they've stopped working on the standard iPad to make the mini?

16. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

Tim Cook is the best Operations Manager in history... just wait.

You are altogether wrong... and all your assumptions are false. I'm sorry, don't mean to be blunt. :cool:

The iPad mini will be the #1 selling tablet by 2014, mark my words... it screams portability, like screeeeaaaams it!

I am getting, and the whole world will eventually adopt because of a price-point need for certain consumers and the use of a mini iPad actually being more comfortable for portable use & daily use nonetheless. Did you hear, it will be more comfortable for daily portable use... it will, guaranteed!

This will be the #1 selling tablet sooner than later... I give it 18months.

The only thing that could be a "mistake" is to jeopardize sales within the market because of a lack of product differentiation for an Apple Tablet, but Apple knows how to make marginal profits on products oh so well...

This is actually extremely hard to do on the business end, but Apple does this so well historically through an array of avenues. Furthermore, I wouldn't doubt Apple still makes profits by margins through all of the iPad product line per se. So, I do think the regular iPad will have some features that the mini may not see(or may not see for a certain timeframe) to make sure they offer some product differentiation in order to not cannibalize their own sales within the tablet market. They will create a leverage of software vs hardware functionality & vice-versa to always keep the marginal profits alive & ticking.

I do think, in a year or so, because of the iPad mini, Apple will start saturating the tablet market just like they did with the MP3 market. So, I applaud Tim Cook for seeing the market opportunity that SJ believed was not there(or he said was not there ;)). But, in my own gut feeling, SJ knew the iPad mini would come out, he just stated it never would initially upon the iPad debut, because he knew how to create the market... excuse me, SJ knows how to create markets(plural). God bless him!

iPods eventually got smaller... iPads will eventually be smaller. It's just a business model that Apple believed in as they pioneered the mp3 & now the tablet market altogether.

17. puppyflightclub macrumors 6502

Did you just sign up on macrumors just to make this ludicrous thread?

From all the posts in here, you should re-evaluate not only your opinion on the iPad mini but other things in your own life you feel so strongly on, as there may be a very LARGE majority in society who will think otherwise...

18. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

This post will be svensven's big mistake.

19. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

I'll be buying two, one of each of my kids. I mean Santa will be buying two.:D

We tested them on some full size iPads at the Apple Store but felt they were a bit too big for them to handle, and at £320 a pop I wouldn't feel comforable with them abusing it.

But around the £200 mark, smaller for smaller hands, familiar iOS/UI, Wi-Fi only, the schools will be full of them.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I think it will be a big seller.

21. Powrie macrumors 6502

It was Steve Jobs Opinion that we didnt need an Ipad Mini

22. ZipZap macrumors 603

I have said it before and will again. The Mini will become the sweet spot for the ipad line until Apple learns how to make the regular ipad thinner/LIGHTER. Much Lighter.

Its my only gripe. I find reading with it or using it to be uncomfortable.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

True, but Steve is dead. Tim Cook and the other Apple bigwigs have obviously decided otherwise.

24. Jinzen macrumors 6502

Hah! Reducing the bezel? Thank God you are a nobody with no sense of ... anything.

You can't hold a 10" iPad with no bezel. :cool: