The iPad Pro is going back ...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheLondonFella, Nov 12, 2015.

1. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

not had much time to look at it to be honest. i did unbox it and try it out, but will set it up and restore it properly on the weekend.

my first opinions (comparing to my only other proper iPad experience, the ipad2).......

WOW. FOOPIN FANTASTICAL!!!!!! I MEAN, WTFF??????

yes. for me it really is that awesome a beast. it feels super light and comfortable. stupidly thin and huge in such a great way. sound is superb.
    so far the wifi internet on my old regular VirginMedia router is lightning fast. stupid fast (you were right). faster than my regular pc hard wired in. i dread to think how much faster it'll be when i hook up my new AirPort Extreme which is actually designed for it!!

as i say, for me it's money well spend. b0ll0cks to this 1st gen prejudice people have. it's them missing out imo. what will really make this will be the apps. come on devs, jump on board. the hardware is waiting!

such a shame you decided not to go with it. but then, we all have our own needs and wants.

2. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

I'd never trust you with re-wiring MY house ;-)

3. sparkie1984 macrumors 68020

Don't worry I'm moderately better at electrics..

4. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

I probably will try again.

But I'd have to go to an Apple Store, as delivery has slipped to over 2 weeks.

I'm really pleased for you, mate.

And coming from our older devices (my 2, and your 4) the experience will be that much better.

Also, it will seem light as it's preactically the same as we are used to, but in a bigger from & this alone will add to the perception that it is light.

I could EASLY hold it at the corner, with one hand.

It's just a shame about the pixels, as I reckon it would have grown on me.

And beLIEVE me ... you will certainly notice speed once you're on your AirPort Extreme.

Maybe I shouldn't check the next one for pixel issues?

I just don't want any issues to be noticed at a later stage ...

5. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

perhaps dont check. just do a quick manual scan with your eyes. dont make yourself paranoid unless it's blindingly obvious there a problem.

6. soulreaver99 macrumors 68030

soulreaver99

I'm most likely taking mine back before the 2 week return window. Don't see how it makes sense for me to own one being a Retina MacBook and iPad owner.

7. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Honestly, I'm annoyed to be taking mine back as well. the size isn't bad, but it can't replace my Air for most things because it is just a bit too heavy. And for me, it was about replacing my Air for most use cases. There's use cases where i still prefer the Pro, but not often enough to have it sitting around while I mostly use the Air day to day because of the better portability. This was a concern I had going in, but the weight over the course of two days isn't something you can get a feel for just with a store demo. And the weight for a short period is fine, but it adds up over the day.

Bring the Pencil to the Air 3 and I'll be happier about having to return the Pro. The Pencil is insane, and I still really want one.

8. woody74 macrumors member

The problem is that the weight isn't too much on it own but it is not distributed in an ergonomic way, as of course with an iPad there is not a right way up. I think the is becoming a problem with more and more tech, where it is form over function. Function doesn't sell so they will always care more about the looks and not about how it works. What is it with this competition to produce the thinest thing possible. At some point they will run out of tech advances like with the digital camera megapixel race and then start concentrating on function and usability.

9. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Well, it depends on how you use the Pro to be honest. It is big enough that carrying it around like you would a Mini or Air isn't going to work.

One way you go about making something like this more ergonomic is reduce the weight. It's worked wonders for the 10" iPad as it has gotten to the 1 lb point. And honestly, the iPad Pro is about its function, IMO. The screen size, stylus support, etc all serve a purpose in terms of functionality, and force the form to accept the larger screen that they picked for specific reasons.

That said, the Pro really does feel like that it is meant to spend more time on a lap, table, etc than the Air is. And that's part of the problem for me. I discovered over the last couple of days, how little I use the iPad in that way. I use it because I can review a project in OmniFocus/Things in an elevator. I can reference a PDF rulebook at the game table and hand the page over to someone else to read. I can lean back in my chair and take notes and map out problems that I'm tackling at work. I can control my telescope while standing next to it. All of these things are still doable with the Pro, but not really what the Pro is good at unfortunately because of the extra weight/size.

10. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Text on iPad Mini 4 isn't tiny to me now that they've fixed the color gamut, you can see the difference with text. I can read emails easily and text on a lot of sites without having to make the page or fonts bigger. Colors pop now too. Considering I'm inching toward bat status without my glasses, I appreciate being able to read easily on it. It's a bit awkward during my commute, but I make it work.

Maybe pick up a refurbished Air 2 for this year and see what next gen brings?

Whatever you decide (to try another Pro, hold out for the Air 3 etc. to see if the Pencil can be used there too), I am sure it will be fine. As for me, sure I say never, but the pencil keeps saying (Bull$*$&*)!)

11. TheLondonFella, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2015

TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

Hey, Kaz.

Thanks for your response.

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner but my account was BLOCKED because of "repeating myself"?!

I'm not an ignorant person, so if someone asks me something on here then I'll respond accordingly.

Know what I mean?

With regards to the Air 2, I FOOLISHLY let one slip through my hands at around the time of the iPad Pro keynote. My neighbour sold me his AS NEW silver 16gb model, WITH Apple's Midnight Blue Smart Case for £100!!!!!! I sold the iPad for £170 (as I truly believed the Air 3 was going to be announced, and intended to put the £70 profit towards one) and kept the case.

Therefore, I would be a bitter pill to swallow re buying another one.

You really do have me thinking about the Mini 4. And funny enough, I'm picking up my first pair of glasses next week! Partially short sighted in one eye, and have an astigmatism in the other. Up close I'm good, but distance work is getting quite blurry. Also, focussing time has increased.

So you think the Mini 4 would be a good bet?

I know they are extremely light, and comfortable to use.

Also, 2 gigs of ram & updated screen (like the Air 2) all add up to a great all round device.

I'll definitely keep it in my radar, then.

Thanks, buddy ...

PS, if you was abetting man ... whe do you think the Air 3 will come along? I'm thinking/hoping March, but it could be another iPhone 4S & not turn up until this time next year!

I hear you, buddy.

But it was located in the middle of the screen, just to the right (when holding in portrait).

Therefore, it would have made itself visible in no time anyway.

That's why I like to check.

I hope you're still enjoying yours, mate.

12. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

sure am. Today i'm currently, as we speak, updating my ipad2 apps and backing up in itunes. will be restoring from backup to my Pro real soon :) then i'll be plugging mt AirPort Extreme into my existing hub and trying that out. Also activating icloud and drop box and all that for the first time. Then.... time to update my website and get my social media all up to date :) busy times ahead.

I'm a pretty untechnical kinda guy, which is why Apple's "just works" ethic rings nicely in my ears. and it generally just does.

so, replaced it then? eh? ;)

13. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Yeah, I've sold Macs and such before I should have. I feel for you there. That said, I'm one of the worst people to ask about what iPad to get, as I get fed up with them a few months out (as is my case with the iPad mini 4. Simply, there's little I can personally do creatively on it. It's a great little machine and I'm glad to be able to read on it, but it's not for me (hate typing on it.))

I've had some safari issues on mine, but I'll chaulk that up to good ol' iOS 9.1 not behaving.

If you don't want to buy another iPad Pro or Air 2, have you considered a refurbished model - or waiting on holiday sales?

As a betting woman (who prefers male characters in my avatars and signature quotes), I'll be surprised if it's earlier than next Fall, one can never tell. That said, I could easily see Cook trim the iPad line by axing the Mini and keeping the Air and Pro models.

Good luck with the glasses and your choice.

14. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

Wow, you surprised me there!

I never guessed for a second you was female.

Anyway, nice to meet you ... again!

Sorry for the delay in responding (again) but my account was blocked (again).

The moderators clearly have it in for me. Maybe they were bully victims at school?

Going back to the iPad ... I was like you, a few years back. Never used mine, and preferred my iMac. Well that has completely flipped, and now my iPad is my most used device (hardly ever turn my iMac on!).

I simply love this device (iPad) ... it is so personal, and versatile for my needs.

I may see what happens at Black Friday, re an Air 2. However, I researched a few months back and believe it turned out to be that Apple didn't offer any discounts in the UK last year?

I think I'll just wait it out for the Air 3.

With regards to preferring male avatars: Gamer? If so, which platform and what genres so you tend to play?

I'm on PS4 & I'm currently playing Fallout 4 (amazing) & Black Ops 3's multiplayer. I'm a Battlefield gamer at heart, but I'm really enjoying Black Ops 3 at the moment.

If I don't respond swiftly to any replies from you, please assume that my account has been banned again and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

All the best ...

15. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

Did you return it in the end, or decide to keep it?

16. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

Sorry, buddy.

Couldn't respond (account was blocked, again).

It's always best to set up a new device as new, and add content manually (except for iCloud data, of course).

That way, you'll stand a better chance of said device running nice & smooth.

I completely wipe & do this every year, when the new iOS is released. It's also a good way to get rid of apps which you don't really use.

I haven't bought another iPad, so I'm still using my trusty iPad 4.

Really, really want a new one, though. Especially as I just upgraded to fibre, from regular broadband (will be going live, shortly).

Anyway, I hope you're still enjoying your new "toy" ;-)

17. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Nice to meet you too sir. Again. :p Banned again? Hrm. I hope this does not happen again.

And I've been forcing myself to use the iPad Mini 4 to write (in hopes of getting another novel done for National Write a Novel in a Month.) See what I mean about me being the worst person to ask about iPads. :confused: ;) I still need a Mac for school though, but I know if I go to an Apple store soon I will probably be asking about the iPad Pro. That pencil...

There have been some nice deals on Air 2s here in the States, hopefully the U.K. will follow suit there so you can pick one up to tide you over. That's great that you can use your iPad as the main go to device. I think if the software gets there, eventually I might be in the same boat, but not just yet.

Male avatars etc. - I like men. :p No, not gaming. I'm a movie character junkie, so any character that floats my boat will usually wind up as an avatar. Right now, it flips between two Shaw Brothers martial artists / actors and their characters.

18. soulreaver99 macrumors 68030

soulreaver99

Returned it. Retina MacBook and iPad Mini works better for me