The iPad will be carried at Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Resident Guru, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Resident Guru macrumors member

I'm in management with Wal-Mart and we have received information that we will be carrying all models of the iPad. This will surely help sales of the device. The good news for me is when I buy mine I'll get my associate discount. :D

2. Axl Rose macrumors regular

sweet i work at walmart too, should be easy to pick up then:D

3. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Great. I can buy it from Walmart, save 3 cents, and run the risk of getting a brick in the box. No thanks.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

:confused: Never had any problems with buying Apple stuff at Wally's. I do wonder, though, if the demographic of the iPad and that of the typical Walmart shopper has much overlap.

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Chances are there will be some cheap device that looks similar will show up there, and the typical Walmart customer would buy that.

6. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

um i rather have insurance with :apple: then with wallmart and save one whole dollar

7. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Huh? If you're talking about Applecare, you can get that on your Apple device regardless of where you purchase it.

8. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Assuming the device is in the box.

9. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

you sure? cause when i buy things from other stores other than the manufactures. i usually have a problem when i need to do something with insurance. like they both say go back to the other store and i just go crazy.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You are in luck, Walmart has just started selling items in their boxes.:D

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Absolutely. Apple Care can be purchased until 1 year after the initial purchase date regardless of whom you purchased the product from.

12. Lamonster macrumors regular

Lamonster

:D

[​IMG]

13. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

This is the single dumbest thing I've read this entire month. Congrats!

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You sure got a purty mouth there newbie. :D

15. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Was just talking to my wife on the phone and we both agree that this
    is a very smart move by Apple and really not that all together that
    unexpected. They carry ipods at wallyword, and the iPad will make a
    great crossover device and a sexy alternative to the netbooks at
    Walmart.

Good business move in my opinion. If they go there, I promise they will
    sell like hotcakes. You won't have to worry about getting a "brick"
    in a box either. WalMart is great at taking returns, either for cash or
    store credit. If it doesn't work you don't have to wait for an Apple
    shipped one, you can get one at the store and they will have to send
    it in.

You can see the soccer moms now, "oh wow that's hot".
    Yep.

16. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Does seem savvy to me.

Will sell them quite a few more and quite a lot of additional exposure.

17. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Really now? Is that as specific as you would like to be or would you rather disprove me? I would like that add that this is now the dumbest I have read this entire month. Congrats!

Facts:
    1. There are tons of stories about Walmart customers not getting what they expected.
    2. It has happened to me 3 times, which is why I will never shop at Walmart again
    3. There is a reason people love Walmart's return. They will accept anything. They employ bumpkins who know nothing about electronics. I can go to Walmart right now, buy a brand new SATA HD and return an old IDE hard drive. Tell them it was incompatible with my computer and guess what they would do. Put it back on the shelf.

Go try it yourself and tell me if you ever want to purchase electronics from Walmart, or any B&M for that matter. I took a jab at Walmart since that was the topic of this thread.

Thanks for putting your foot in your mouth though. I am sure many others will come and laugh at your moronic comment.

I also enjoyed reading this gem from you:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9163129&postcount=103

18. rowanmwilliams macrumors member

rowanmwilliams

I hope this applies to Big W in Australia. Would love to get it with staff discount. However I am not really prepared to wait another month for head office and the dispatch cente to eventualy ship it.

19. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

I love Wally World!

20. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Applecare is not insurance it's extended warranty. And yes, you can get Applecare anytime within the first year regardless of where you buy from.

21. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

The iPad is really Apple's cheapest product to date, in terms of the hardware you get. A 9.7 inch IPS panel display with multitouch glass, a custom built 1 Ghz processor, 16GB of flash memory, 802.11N wifi, and bluetooth 2.1. Also a 10 hour battery and a super thin design all for $499.

To be honest I was expecting $599-$999 price points but Apple really came through with it. I mean, the 1st gen iPhone had way less hardware but cost around $700 initially.

22. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Actually the most common and known issue with bricks and rocks being in boxes did not start with wal-mart at all, so I am not even sure what you are talking about. The original stories had to do with a General Merchandising Company out of Minnesota who has a big red bulleseye as a logo.

Your interference with this stupid idea that any noticeable percentage of wal-mart items are replaced with rocks is ignorant.

23. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I'll bet you'll be able to buy them in any store that already sells ipods. That means Target, BestBuy, etc...

If Target sells them I may indeed get one. I can always save 10% there.

24. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Does it matter who it started with? We are talking about Walmart, not General Merchandising Company out of Minnesota.

Please note, that my interference would have been limited to one post had not you and others felt the need to respond. Fact is, it happens. It does not matter how often, it happens and is more likely to happen at Walmart and stores that employ those who have limited knowledge of electronics.

Do you know what the term ignorant means? The combination of my experiences and the experiences of others which is readily available on the internet paints a clear picture of Walmart. If they had proper policies for returned items this would be a non-issue.

Ignorance implies I am lacking knowledge on the subject. However, with what I have given as evidence for my claim, I hardly think ignorance is the word that applies. I am sure that is the best insult you could come up with though, so don't worry about it.

Is the percentage notable? I am not sure really, but that is not what I claimed. Walmart's lackluster policies for returns make it more likely that you will be a victim. Shopping at a place like Best Buy gives you a much better chance that you will get what you expected. This is of course not to suggest this never happens at Best Buy, but when you return something there it is typically throughly inspected, or at least that is the impression the thieves have and they steer clear of Best Buy for rip-off jobs.

Disclaimer: I do not shop at Best Buy, nor do I work for Best Buy. This is merely an example.

25. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy