The iPhone 4G will run on the Arm Cortex A8 processor and a 512MB memory

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TSX, May 17, 2010.

1. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Here's what 9to5 mac is reporting. http://www.9to5mac.com/more_on_ifone

"Apple’s making major orders now for the next-gen iPhone, reports from the company’s suppliers in China and Taiwan suggest.

Manufacturer, Foxconn, seems set to ship 24 million units of the device at least this year, with shipments starting in June, reports Digitimes senior analyst, Ming-Chi Kuo, citing component makers in Taiwan.

Foxconn seems on target to ship 4.5 million units in the first half and 19.5 million units for the rest of 2010, the report states.

Forgive a moment’s speculation here, but the relative difference between these two figures could suggest a staggered roll-out of the product as Apple delivers it to key territories as manufacturing ramps-up to meet demand. The same deal as the iPad. Perhaps.

The Digitimes report lends a little more weight to the idea that Apple will announce the new iPhone on June 7 at WWDC, and adds a little more technical data beyond that revealed in the Gawker report.

The new device will adopt IPS (in-plane switching) panels with FFS (fringe-field switching) technology and a 960-x-640 resolution,” Kuo said, noting that LG DIsplay and Prime View International are the panel suppliers,” Digitimes tells us.

That report says it will be including FFS because it will “improve the handset's e-book reader features”. This suggests Apple will bring the iBookstore to the iPhone in June.

The iPhone 4G will run on the Arm Cortex A8 processor and a 512MB memory module from Samsung Electronics, doubling the memory capacity of the previous generation to enable better multi-tasking. The panel is one third thinner to reduce battery drain.

Batteries will come from Simplo Technology and Dynapack International Technology, Kuo said."

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

:confused: What, exactly, correlates thinness with power consumption? I'd buy it's thinner so they can fit a larger battery...

3. DeathChill macrumors 68000

I think they're talking about the LCD panel.

4. angevil macrumors regular

Yeah, this is the original article:
    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20100517VL200.html

So why is nobody commenting this when it′s a very big news/rumor? I really hope that resolution will be indeed that high. If it stayed the same, I would be disappointed. All the screen updates seem amazing. 512 MB RAM would also be great, I think that multitasking might need that. The only confusing part is the same processor as the one in 3GS. Maybe it won′t be under-clocked on the new iPhone? We were expecting the same processor as in iPad, A4..but well, if this one performs flawlessly, I will be happy. High resolution screen is more important to me and also a better camera with HD video recording. But that`s obviously coming..

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I know that. My statement still stands: what correlates a thinner panel with lower power consumption? A thinner panel (in a device of the same thickness) allows for a larger battery. As per my original post.

6. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

That's double the iPad's memory!

Damnit, I wish the iPad had more memory. Almost putting me off buying one.

Rest of it sounds plausible. FFS would really help the display (and it's obscure enough that they couldn't have made it up).

7. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Where does it say that the processor is the same as the one in the 3GS? Apple's A4 (found in the iPad) has a Cortex-A8 core, which is what the article says the new iPhone will have. ;)

8. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

but the teardown of the 'lost' iPhone in Vietnam shows that it's an A4 processor with 256mb

That'll give the conspiracy theorists something to talk about! Maybe the lost ones weren't after all? Maybe they're a decoy? Maybe they're very early prototypes? Maybe they're 5th generation??

Whatever, we all know that the next gen will be much better than the 3g, so I'm upgrading...

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Confused, as others may be as well but how does thinner = better battery life?

10. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Don't think there will be 512 MB RAM in it. But, if it does, cant wait to see the chaos on this board in regards to the iPad's 256.

11. angevil macrumors regular

Oh :D I didn′t know that. I got confused by A4 and A8 names. I am sooo ffffing hyped for the new iPhone!!!!!!!! :)

Does anybody watch South Park? I′ve just remembered the S10 episode ″Go God Go″ when Cartman can′t wait for the release of Wii and goes to freeze himself. :p First try was in the refrigerator and his mom finds him inside :D Excellent episode! We are in a similar position now, we have three weeks until the WWDC!

12. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

This is going to be the beginning to the longest wait to WWDC....

13. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I understand the 512MB would make for better multitasking, what else would it improve?

14. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I think a lot of us would be hoping for less/no Safari reloads.

But I'm hoping for developers to NOT make more RAM consuming apps with the free room.

15. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

They could accomplish that with disk caching to the flash memory. I never understood why they didn't do that.

16. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

The iPad runs everything that I throw at it just fine. All the reports about it being blazing fast are correct.

It's like complaining that a Ferrari doesn't have a rocket engine on a 4 mile long road.

Aah forget it, you said "almost" ;). Have fun with the iPad, you will not regret it.

17. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

512mb??

Didn't they say the prototype had 256mb when they opened it up?
    Then again its was a prototype but hey, 512mb is too good to be true

18. carlgo macrumors 68000

Does the thinness and the XYZ, whatever, processor help it connect to AT&T?

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And I'll be first in line although, I don't see a 512GB module being used.

Jobs told us how this fills the void between a smart phone and a notebook. Would be really ****ed up if apps wouldn't run on the iPad becasue of insufficient RAM.

20. Reiger macrumors regular

I love the iPad. It's faster than I expected it to be. But the lack of memory is really a buzz-kill. It's almost impossible to do tabbed-browsing, because the pages reload all the time. Its worse than on my iPhone 3GS.

Websites with a lot of images (memory intensive) don't display fully on the iPad, f.i. http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/. That is really a downside of having only 256 MB of RAM. :(

21. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Probably so, but then all you have is a 3GS+. Same processor, same RAM, and a new camera with better OS and supposedly HD.

22. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Given it will have to cope with any graphics files and textures being four times the size due to the new resolution, it will actually run *slower* than a 3GS unless they bump up the memory, and do things like need to reload web tabs every switch (which the iPad does, and is very, very annoying).

Phazer

23. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Perhaps based on similar principles where thinner circuits means less power consumption. Lower resistance.

24. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I don't think they were suggesting that it would have the same 800 MHz Cortex A8 processor, underclocked to 600 MHz. Cortex A8 is really a processor family, a group of processors which conform to ARM's A8 instruction standard. That group includes, for example, both the current iPhone processor and the iPad's A4 chip. Like any processor family, such chips can come in different clock speeds, can have different power consumption and performance. Samsung, for instance, produces a 1GHz A8 processor, as did Intrinsity (recently purchased by Apple -- there is some speculation that the A4 is, in fact, a modified version of Intrinsity's 1 GHz A8).

25. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Please excuse my ignorance, by why can't the ipad with all that flash memory simply use it? Is RAM memory that much faster than flash memory?

How does it work? What about caching?