Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

a5_ipad_2-150x174.jpg

Last week, the Infinity Blade developer first suggested that the iPhone 4S still had 512MB of RAM, just like the iPhone 4:
"I'm still shocked that, with the iPhone 4S, I'm literally running around with a 1080p video camera in my pocket, with an eight megapixel camera, 64GB of hard drive space and an A5 chip with 512MB of memory. This is a really powerful computer, right?
The developer would be in a position to know as they had demoed their game on the new iPhone 4S during last week's keynote.

We had doubts about this claim, however, as we had previously heard that the new iPhone would carry 1GB of RAM. Note that we heard this alongside other information regarding Apple's Assistant feature that we accurately mocked up ahead of Siri's launch, so we were confident in the source.

But, now, AppVV also confirms that the iPhone 4S has 512MB of RAM. In a discussion thread an administrator reports that it has 512MB. This fact is repeated on their Weibo page as well in response to a question:
Re @ LogIn_Kim: RAM have said before, is still 512MB.
Though they don't detail how they came to the figure, we're inclined to believe AppVV as they are the ones who posted a hands-on video of the iPhone 4S this morning.

Article Link: The iPhone 4S Appears to Have 512MB RAM

MarlboroLite

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
the 13 colonies
Apple has always been stingy with RAM--whether it's in their computers or iStuff. And when they have offered extra RAM on their computers they gouge for it. I have no idea why they do this or why they have such an aversion to increasing the memory capacity of their devices when the costs clearly drop every year while the necessity of the boost goes up every year.

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
Prepare for comments about how the 4S will be slow and useless without 1GB of RAM. Or how [Insert Android Phone here] is better because it has 1GB of RAM.

PerplexShyt

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
i guess apple has put all their money on the iO5 os in terms of efficiency, coupled with the A5, 512mb of ram is more than sufficient for a seamless experience...

think outside of the box people.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
A bit of a let-down, but this was not a deal breaker for me as it seems the iOS devices do very well on 512MB of RAM (at least my iPad 2 does). More RAM is always good providing the app developers don't get sloppy and hog it all up. So if Apple were to increase the RAM, I'd like them to limit individual apps so that no one app could use it all. I see the drawbacks there, but I think it is better than dealing with the App Store being loaded with apps from developers who fail to optimize their RAM usage and therefore apps being incompatible with older iPhones.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
How much does the iPad 2 have? If it runs like the iPad 2, that's more than enough for me.

iPad 2 has 512MB ram with A5.

this makes it more likely that Siri will run on an iPad 2 (A5/512MB) than a jailbroken iPhone 4 (A4/512MB)

arn

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom
That's how love to what Apple does looks like.

Update:

I mean they give a damn and optimize all they can, so there is no need to waste parts like RAM.

Last edited:

cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
I hope this is true. If so, then it bodes well for Siri coming to the iPad. I struggle with believing this because there has been NO (afaik) solid rumors about Siri working outside of the 4s. Has anyone heard of any other reason that the two should not be compatible?

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Until Apple re-does their multitasking (let's be honest, it's pretty terrible) they really have no reason to add more RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.