The iPhone 5, must be the best kept secret yet.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reach9, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

For Apple, the iPhone 5 must be the best kept secret yet. Why? Because so many credible sources are pointing to a completely redesigned iPhone along with a 4S, and we've yet to see a leak of the device. The only visual hint we got, was the Photo Stream icon, the leaked design schematics and cases.

So if the iPhone 5 isn't leaked until the announcement, and it debuts. Will this be Apple's best kept secret yet? Or are we all in for a very disappointing event, with only an iPhone 4S.

2. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

You are thibking the same thing i am i hope theres a 5 but in the back of my head im nervous there will only be a 4s

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Well, we don't get rumors for the less popular iPod lineup. Especially the iPod Shuffle. So I think that's the best secret for Apple?

4. Reach9 thread starter macrumors 68020

Reach9

Well i'm sure there's a bigger demand, and people want to leak an iPhone than an iPod Shuffle.

Question, were any parts of the iPad 2 leaked. Or was it just the case as well?

5. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Off the top of my head, we had rumors of iPad 2 having the same cameras as the iPod touch 4th

6. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

You have a good point. What makes me think that there might be only a 4s is that all the leaked parts have been for the 4s and not one leak has shown a redesigned anything. If a redesigned iphone 5 does turn up, then I must give Apple big respect for being able to keep a product this popular and made in huge numbers a secret. I hope there is an iphone 5 but if all they offer is a 4s with the A5 and 8mp camera, I will be disappointed a little but I will still get it.

7. aohus macrumors 68000

the best kept secret was the original iPhone.

that phone came out of nowhere, blindsided the entire handset manufacturing community (LG,Samsung,Nokia, etc), and set off the mobile war we see today.

8. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

As much as I hate the thought, the history could repeat itself... remember the iPod Touch 3rd gen having a camera, then it came out without one?

9. na1577 macrumors 6502a

Yes I've been thinking about this too... Apple had "production issues" with that device, which is why I was so anxious when we heard that the iPhone 5 was also having production issues.

My theory is that the stripped down, camera-less model sold so well that Apple decided not to go forward with the camera-equipped model (remember that there was rumors that it would be delayed until a few months later?) I hope we don't see that happen again :(

--

As much as I'd like to see the true iPhone 5 come out, the lack of actual evidence is seriously alarming. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw only the 4S phone... I would only be disappointed :(

10. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's either the best kept secret or the most hyped up product that never existed.

11. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

yeap, I just hope is not another Copland :(

12. milani macrumors 68000

milani

True.

13. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

I think this is definitely one of Apple's best kept secrets. However, I haven't followed all the Apple rumors, so I'm not one to be trusted...
    But, just going off of the iPhone 5... there is literally "confirmation" everywhere (coming from analysts, to "sources," to cases) about the existence of a redesigned iPhone 5 launching this fall. Yet... nothing concrete. No real part leaks, nothing from Apple (of course), no "spy" pictures on the internet (apart from the one on the train, except many concluded it was a 3G/S). So a redesigned iPhone 5, if introduced at the event, would be a very nice surprise for most of us.

As for the big if about the iPhone 5 being pushed back to next year... I just don't see how this is possible, in all honesty. I realize that Apple is still selling iPhone 4's like hotcakes (and isn't the $49 3GS is the 2nd best selling smartphone right now in AT&T?), so there's no real financial incentive for Apple to push out an iPhone 5.
    But, to stay ahead of the curve, and to hold the title of the innovative company we have come to love, I think it's essential for them to release a 5th iPhone that can raise the bar for the competition even higher and maintain Apple's reign.

14. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

owned...LOL

----------

I TOTALly agree.... to me its like... what else can apple do???? change the design maybe add ram???? other than that its enough.... i just want an iphone with a silver back like the ipad and macbook pro and then a black bezel... maybe a 8 mp but i dont really care about that...... just a thin design and a 4 inch screen. that would keep me going... but if not the iphone 4 will be enough... untill next year.... but i will tell you what.....

it seems like apple has so hyped up the next iphone 4 that if it is a 4s... people will be sad... even if they do get it..... hopefully they wow us......

15. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

Agreed. The good news is Apple and LG Display made an agreement to do mass production of 4.2" Display on the end of Aug. ;)

16. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

I will probably get down ranked for this, so have at it.

Apple BETTER have kept the iPhone 5 as one of their biggest secrets ever. If the event comes and goes with a 4S, with an A5 processor and an 8MP camera and some minor tweaks, a few things will happen.

First, Tim Cook may lose some respect. He has been at the helm for the past 9 months, and the iPhone, following Apple's usual schedule, is about 3 months late. If Tim doesn't release a major, innovative product, I fear many investors will think that "Steve Jobs will always be better". In my head, Steve Jobs should have been the best, and he was, while he was the CEO, now it's someone else's turn.

Secondly, I fear Apple will start losing some major market share and fast. The iPhone 4 is a beautiful phone. The screen resolution is amazing. Battery gets me through the day without worries. And it's pretty quick. However, Apple has prided itself on being this major innovative company, when frankly the A4 chip is under clocked to around 833MHz, 512MB of RAM doesn't cut it, and many other critiques. The A5 would add 1GHz, and that's great, however new phones are coming out with 1.2 and 1.5GHz clock speeds, and Apple will have their newest phone on the market running a slower processor. Not very innovative if you ask me. Also, I have no doubt in my mind that if a 4S is released, the screen resolution will stay the same. And while the iPhone 4's screen is great now, in a few months when 720p resolution screen are getting released, Apple will again be behind. I wouldn't care too much, just stop saying you're this big, innovative company. If you want to say that about yourself, then start proving it, because a 4S isn't too much proof.

Thirdly, and this is the most unimportant, I will look elsewhere for my cellular phone needs. I love Apple, I'll never get rid of my Macbook Pro or iPad, frankly I feel they are the best, and most innovative. But honestly, I do not like the iPhone 4 design. I like my phone naked, and while I haven't had any major incidents, keeping the iPhone 4S in pristine condition would just be another year of hell. Not to mention 4G has been "blazing" through my area for about 4 months now, and I would really like to get on that bandwagon.

Apple will do what they feel is best, although I feel their judgement has always been somewhat clouded. They have amazing software and they tie it in perfectly with their hardware, and it is such a great experience. I simply don't want a 4S for myself, and I am not sticking with my iPhone 4 until possibly next October. Others may feel differently, and that's fine. This is what I see happening if the next iPhone is a minor upgrade.

17. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Its such a well kept secret that maybe soneone should tell Apple that they're going to have an IPHONE5 coming in October :) :)

18. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

didn't they run commercial ads about it for a couple months?
    i'm pretty sure they did.

19. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

The extra 200-500mhz does not mean anything if the OS isn't optimized for it.

20. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Let's hope it's the former rather than the latter. Otherwise we're gonna have some pissed people out there.

Source? Unless that winky face was to indicate the sarcasm that I missed....

21. Merkie macrumors 68020

It didn't come entirely out of nowhere. But people had been expecting an iPhone for so long, the rumor just had to come true once.

I still think the first iPhone is the most beautiful iPhone to date. It's only a bit thick compared to current standards.

22. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

There's no way in life that Apple will just release a slightly improved iPhone, period. It would be a huge flop in the marketplace and their competitors would have a field day. Just ain't gonna happen.

23. macinnv macrumors regular

A5, slightly improved camera and adding Sprint and China Mobile as carriers is all the hype Apple needs to be sold out for months. No need for a bigger screen.

24. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

No 5 I will go on with something bigger better like the Galaxy Note then come back to it whenever Apple get ready to release it :D.

25. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

Here we go with the megahertz myth again... it's not all about clock speed.