The iPhone 6 Plus Is the Most Perfect Portable Computer Ever Made (IMHO)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Dec 25, 2014.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Apple has created not only the most perfect smartphone to date, but what I believe might be the ideal portable computer. It is everything a consumer could need out of a computer enveloped in a gorgeous body that feels unbelievably thin and light enough to almost not be noticed in-hand. Frankly the 6 Plus features best-in-class hardware in every aspect. From the display that has pixels so dense and packed so close to the glass that it is a small contrast boost away from being an entirely seamless window into the digital world to the system on a chip that makes the interface seem instaneous, there has never been so much done right packed into such a svelte frame. The size is also as optimal as we are going to see, with a width perfect for one-handed use and usability features that make the height a non-issue. Not only that, but the photo capabilities rival many professional cameras not necessarily in specs but in end results. With minor multi-tasking features the 6 Plus could be a fantastic computer let alone smartphone.

What amazes me the most is that the 6 Plus seems to be the iPhone to accomplish all that the iPhone and even personal computers in general set out to do. In my hands it doesn't feel like an incremental upgrade like the 4 or the 5 but the culmination of what personal computing set out to do. While it could be argued that the iPad Air accomplished the same, for its form factor the iPhone 6 Plus has fixed almost every issue (durability aside -- although that's more of a roadblock than an issue) that the iPhone hardware has ever had. There doesn't seem to be much to do at this point but to add features. It's all already been improved to the point where if this was the final iPhone to be released, that wouldn't be absolutely devastating.

Or maybe that's just the first-day Christmas spirit talking. :cool:

As fantastic as the Retina MacBook Pro and iPad Air 2 are, for my usage at least if the device is not pocketable then I do not find it portable enough to constantly carry around which adds a major plus to the 6 Plus (no pun originally intended).

2. techspin macrumors 6502a

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Best in class hardware? I guess that depends on what you are basing that statement on. Of course, hardware isn't everything, especially in an iPhone, but I couldn't call it best in class on hardware alone.

Anyway, glad you like the phone. A few quirks for me, but am overall happy with it.

4. MICHAELSD, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014

MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It's more than just liking it :p: I'm impressed with what Apple has accomplished in perfecting every aspect of the iPhone experience. So far I've run into no issues with the hardware. Touch ID being sluggish and unresponsive? Fixed. Siri taking far too long to interpret text? Fixed. The display being overly reflective and only being Retina-quality from a certain distance? Fixed. Built-in apps taking too long to load and sometimes even feeling sluggishly? Fixed. Camera being good but not great? Fixed: I don't even need my SLR anymore frankly (although the camera itself is not perfect). Keyboard feeling a bit cramped? The portrait keyboard is great now. Even gestures feeling rough on the edges of the screen has been fixed with the curved glass. The screen is even as big as it could possibly be without feeling uncomfortable. If the phone was scratch-proof and had a permanent oleophobic coating on it it would be perfect. The 6S with that plus slightly improved black levels then that's it: we've reached the perfect iPhone. From this point we need new technologies such as a clickable virtual keyboard since all that the iPhone already has been perfected.

5. tillsbury macrumors 65816

I think you should get off the fence and tell us what you really think.

6. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Funny. :cool:

Even the speaker is much better too now. This is one hell of an upgrade.

7. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Apple A8 is pretty much superior to the Snapdragon 805(its competition) and the Apple A8X is currently the fastest ARM SoC in the world. The common misconception is that Apple's hardware isn't up to snuff(or should I say top end) but in reality as of the past two years, the SoC's Apple's been shelling out are class leading and surely top end

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

There is more to the hardware than just the CPU and gpu. We can talk about the flash. We can talk about the ram. But I'm not going to sit here and argue this point. Because you're just going to tell me why apple doesn't need any of those things. You may be right, still doesn't make every bullet point a top end spec. The devices aren't top end in every way. It really is that simple.

Are they still some of the best ohones on the market? I would say so. They're certainly our family's go to choice.

9. Bahroo macrumors 68000

flash in iPhones has always been top notch and right there with the best in flash storage performance, and etc,

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

My understanding is that isn't the xcase with this year's models. Otherwise, yes it has. We are talking about the plus, however.

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Bung in more RAM, a sapphire screen and remove the bugs from iOS...then it might be 'the most perfect portable computer ever made'.

12. cynics macrumors G3

Software is lacking to heavily for me to refer to it as a perfect portable anything. I need to us Android or OS X just to email certain files. Ya...my hold up is email. Now think what an actual computer is capable of.

Glad it's perfect for you though.

13. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Very nice phone. Portable Computer? No Way...not even close!

My Nexus 6 is a terrific Portable Computer with an authentic file system that is missing from the iPhone. As such the iPhone is a glorified app player.

14. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

iOS is nowhere near being complex or capable enough to warrant classifying hardware running it as the best "portable computer" ever. Not to mention the RAM significantly holding the phone back.

15. CEmajr macrumors 601

It does have a few flaws and the 6S Plus will no doubt be better next year but for now it's about as close to the ideal smartphone as there is on the market now.

16. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Most smartphones, and a lot of tablets, are mostly used to launch apps.

17. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Frankly I think Apple's true brilliance was in essentially creating the app model. It was a way to lock people into the Apple platform before Android existed. That was a true visionary stroke of genius. A way to display information on the tiny (yet large at the time) display. The app model also formed an additional ongoing revenue stream another benefit for Apple. So in that sense, yes other smartphone makers followed just like all cars today have the same layout of 4 wheels on a rectangular shaped platform when viewed from above.

Personally speaking only for myself I greatly prefer the larger displays of my newest smartphones. The smallest acceptable size for everyday work is my 5.5" iP6+ and even better, the perfect size for me is my 6.0" Nexus 6. Working primarily on the Web in a Desktop view instead of Mobile. This explains why a large display is so valuable to me. I do carry either my MBA or MBPR, but traveling through airports flying weekly either domestically or internationally a smartphone is essential, crucial and of great value to my demanding work.

Unlike the average user (however that is defined) I hardly use any apps other than Google Docs / Drive / PDF Files etc. No time for games and other mainstream apps.

Even now, I'm using my iPhone 6+ and the desktop view of MacRumors using Chrome to create this post. It's what I prefer and what I'm used to.

18. CYKBC macrumors 6502

Disagree. Apple locks down its os. Android is the real computer.

19. Bahroo macrumors 68000

That was for some TLC models, but in terms of flash storage performance, the 6 Plus and 6 are actually at the top in terms of read/write speeds too

----------

You must not use powerful apps on iOS then,

20. cynics macrumors G3

What apps would you use to download several files (any file type) from a corporate ftp or anyway webpage, zip those files and then email that zip file?

You'd probably just use a Mac or PC? Or Android which is just as easy. With iOS its practically impossible. Just emailing multiple PDF's is a pain, proprietary files....forget about it.

Never understood Apple's hold up with things like this.

21. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

What difference does it make? The point still stands. They aren't all best in class hardware as was claimed. I simply pointed that out. Why are we continuing this discussion? All I said was that Apple isn't at the top in every way. That statement isn't false.

22. themyst macrumors 6502

Jailbreak/iFile would resolve this limitation but yeah, my work iPhone has an MDM on it so no jailbreak. The phrase "I'll send it when I get to the office" is pretty common in my daily work routine.

23. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Baha. Android is the real garbage. I've owned both...iOS is superior. At least you can steal an android and get away with it...

24. themyst macrumors 6502

OP - it's a nice device and I prefer iOS apps, lack of input latency and layout over android. But it isn't SUPER amazing as you make it sound. I've enjoyed large screens since 2012, and once you look past that, you're still limited immensely in stock form.

25. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob