Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PTLove

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
My biggest issue with the 6+ is it feels compromised. The 1920*1080 screen isn't correct in the iOS world, and needs to be scaled. I'm assuming its successor will be a proper 2208*1242 resolution.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25755443/iphone-6-plus-resolution-confusion-xcode-or-apples-website

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
The iPhone 6 plus does not suit everyone's individual needs. For example some might feel uncomfortable holding a phone of such proportions in their hands or against there face when answering calls. My reasons to get the get the 6+ is that I a ton of movies purchased from the iTunes store since I have ditched physical media, so naturally the bigger the screen the more better they will look, also my iPad Air is too heavy to hold while in bed.

However there is a question on my part how far will i go with the screen size in the future, i guess that depends on whether or not it will fit comfortably in my hands and pocket.

nilnova

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2013
Until benchmarks show its slower, because it has to do a lot more processing.
1. many more pixels' doing x3 resolution
then 2. sampling that down 15% to the actual 1080p resolution.
*cpugate*

I don't think many people realize this yet. I can definitely tell a difference in sharpness when running my retina MacBook Pro in a scaled resolution. So for me, it's not even about a possible performance penalty associated with scaling. I prefer 1:1 pixel mapping, when possible.

I ended up getting a regular 6 partially due to this.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
Just pointing out the difference in pixels and pixel density in the iPhone 6 vs 6+.

But if you don't recognize those numbers then you probably haven't looked up the tech specs of both the phones yet.

Yet, on a screen so small you won't notice. Therefore, a small difference.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Also bad battery life, a craptastic cellular connection, and a shoddy Wi-Fi connection. Nexus phones are good, but after use, it becomes obvious where Google has cut corners to keep the price down.

Why would the Nexus 6 have issues like that when the Nexus 5 doesn't?

It wont have new features you can actually use. I suspect itll be spec sheet padding with worse real world performance than an iPhone.

We will see, but so far Nexus has been having new features that can be used, iPhone took quite a few of them...

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
Yes, a 100% increase in pixels is a small difference.

33% increase in DPI is also a small difference.

Very small indeed.

Are you slow? A 100% increase in pixels with an increase in screen size all but cancels itself.

...and I'll repeat.....on a screen so small you won't notice the difference.

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Are you slow? A 100% increase in pixels with an increase in screen size all but cancels itself.

...and I'll repeat.....on a screen so small you won't notice the difference.

I'm not sure why you're trying to argue that it doesn't cancel itself.

And no, maybe you won't notice the difference, but you can't dictate whether other people will or will not notice it.

Regardless, if you think that a 100% increase in pixels and 33% increase in DPI is so small, I'm not going to argue with your perception. I'm simply pointing out numbers and facts.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
The 6 Plus is Apple's flagship device. It's pretty obvious with all the extra features...the extra battery life is what won it over for me.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
The 6 Plus is Apple's flagship device. It's pretty obvious with all the extra features...the extra battery life is what won it over for me.

Not even....besides the optical image stabilization, the other two aspects were crucial with an increase in screen size.

Bigger screen needs a bigger battery.

Bigger screen needs more pixels to remain competitive with the other devices on the market.

All else is equal.

A bigger screen doesn't make a better phone. If that were the case the iPhone would have been discontinued years ago falling to Samsung and their huge devices.

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Until benchmarks show its slower, because it has to do a lot more processing.
1. many more pixels' doing x3 resolution
then 2. sampling that down 15% to the actual 1080p resolution.
*cpugate*

And blurry low light photos. OIS compensates for photographer hand motion for shorter shutter, thus more light captured..., but doesnt account for subject movement. So people, animals, such will be blurry with slower shutter.
*cameragate*

Assuming both models are similarly clocked and have the same amount of RAM, will the 6 Plus run games a little slower than the 6?

I take pics of food at restaurants as well as the friends I eat out with, so the OIS would really be useful to me. That size though..

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Assuming both models are similarly clocked and have the same amount of RAM, will the 6 Plus run games a little slower than the 6?

I take pics of food at restaurants as well as the friends I eat out with, so the OIS would really be useful to me. That size though..

Yes, I would expect the 6+ to be slower. Will it be noticeable? Afterall the iPad Air and retina mini do well with even more pixels and older A7? All depends on how efficient the scaler is.

The new OIS camera may be perfect for the food part, it doesnt move. People breathe and figit... It remains to be seen what variables Apple has accounted for.

It would be really REALLY clever if they use their new face detection algorythm to see a face, and disable OIS as the shutter speed slows down. I wouodnt count on it though, will be interesting to see.

----------

Glad I'm living on planet Earth, where HD is 1920x1080. iOS world doesn't seem like a fun place to be with those wacky resolutions...

... There is nothing about planet earth, or natural sciences that have any direct corrolation with 1080P. FYI, its just some hollywood specification.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.